My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
4,221 Posts
Never used one but I really like it.

·
Super Moderator
17,018 Posts
Looks like an old fashioned hay or wheat rake... $200 for any attachment like that sounds like a pretty good price.....

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked it up today and gave it a spin to try it out. I liked the spinning action. seems to do better than the straight bar front mount thatcher I had on my 425. I have not adjusted it yet and need to get a manual for it. Sand the rust & repaint in the famous green & yellow and I'm ready to go. Final price was $250 more than I wanted to pay but still a lot cheaper than full retail. slkpk

Attachments

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
slkpk,
Please do a review on it after some hard use. I read the reviews from the Northern customers that purchased that one and they were not favorable.

My neighbor has owned this particular one for about five years http://www.edneyco.com/EstateProducts/estate_rake.htm and I have used a couple of times and am very impressed with it. I was going to buy one when they first came out but opted for the towable landscape rake instead. I'm happy with the landscape rake and what it can do but am thinking that an estate rake is the answer to the pine needle collection.

·
4,221 Posts
I picked it up today and gave it a spin to try it out. I liked the spinning action. seems to do better than the straight bar front mount thatcher I had on my 425. I have not adjusted it yet and need to get a manual for it. Sand the rust & repaint in the famous green & yellow and I'm ready to go. Final price was $250 more than I wanted to pay but still a lot cheaper than full retail. slkpk

I think we need a video on this one. :thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will try to get video when the wife gets home. I like it better than my old front mounted 54" on my 425. This seems to hug the contour of the ground better. There is also a hitch I can get that will allow the sweeper to be mounted behind the rake and do it all in one pass. It works well in tall grass and brings the thatch to the top very well. It gets the small sticks and other debris on top also. Some small sticks will get caught in the tines as they spin but will eventually fall out. When turning, the outside tine wheels spin rapidly and the inside wheels don't hardly spin more of a drag. You can flip the tine wheels over and it will dethatch better than in the rake position as it seems to dig deeper. The forward motion of the rake and the angle the tine wheels are set at is what makes the tine wheels spin. This is the Swisher ACR-500. The frame and the rubber wheels are solid. The tine wheels are flimsy at best and as you saw in the first pics it's rusted. The round steel band should be a little thicker steel. When finished today I will sand and repaint and hopefully stop any more deterioration. Retail price on this at TSC was $369.00. Overall I'm happy with it. slkpk

Attachments

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used a Craftsman 42" sweeper to pick up the thatch and had 7 hoppers completely full. This was about 1/2 acre. Pine needles it did ok a little better than the straight edge thatcher. slkpk

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slkpk,
Please do a review on it after some hard use. I read the reviews from the Northern customers that purchased that one and they were not favorable.

My neighbor has owned this particular one for about five years http://www.edneyco.com/EstateProducts/estate_rake.htm and I have used a couple of times and am very impressed with it. I was going to buy one when they first came out but opted for the towable landscape rake instead. I'm happy with the landscape rake and what it can do but am thinking that an estate rake is the answer to the pine needle collection.
After looking at the online manuals I would say that they are about the same quality just a little different in design. I can't see where or why the Swisher would need any weight box with it's design. The swisher doesn't have any grease zerks which I think it should have on each tine wheel. I would really like to see a pic of your neighbors tine wheels and see how heavy they are. The Swisher has 8 different notches in each handle for different settings and each set of tine wheels can be set at different heights. slkpk

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I thought that the blades would spin, but I don't see how they do!!
The rakes spin in conjunction with their angle and contact with the ground. The action is identical (but on a much smaller scale) to the larger hay rakes that some farmers still use to windrow their hay prior to baling. Of course these type of hay rakes have pretty much been replaced by conditioners that cut, squeeze out the moisture and windrow all in one pass.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
After looking at the online manuals I would say that they are about the same quality just a little different in design. I can't see where or why the Swisher would need any weight box with it's design. The swisher doesn't have any grease zerks which I think it should have on each tine wheel. I would really like to see a pic of your neighbors tine wheels and see how heavy they are. The Swisher has 8 different notches in each handle for different settings and each set of tine wheels can be set at different heights. slkpk
I only have experience with the Edney Company unit and it seem to work very well. I do like the handle and lock setup on the Swisher unit. I also like that the Swisher pulls form both sides to the middle. I couldn't tell you if the Edney unit had grease zerks or not. My guess would be these units have sealed bearings on them. The tine wheels seem a little loose, but of course that's by design fot them to provide the sweeping action that they do. I've heard nothing but good on Swisher products....so the negative review got my attention. Could be the reviewer got a bad or damaged one.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got it apart and sanded the rusty areas on the tine wheels using my Dremel tool with the ity bity wire brushes. It worked great getting into the tight spots around the tines. Those ity bity Dremel wire brushes are are up to $2.69 each. I guess it's been a while since I bought some of them as the last I remember they were about $.99 each.

Attachments

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All sanded and painted. Just need some JD decals. The JD iMatch decals should work for the tongue. slkpk

Attachments

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wagon & rake completed. Wed. am start assembly of the 1964 110. slkpk

Attachments

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 98 Posts