My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am writing this because I hate to give imporper info when asked about my tractor. I originally believed it be a 1950 (this was based on my serial # - which I do not have with me now). However, it seems to have items that would more reflect a 1949.... It has a front mount distributor, for example, which as I learn more, seems to be an aspect of a 1950.

Are there any other items that I can look for that would help me in this? Or could it be that it was built in 1949, but sold as a 1950 model? If so, is it correct to describe it as a 1949?

I know this may sound silly, but this is the stuff that I think about.

Thanks,

John

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
John, check out some of the "sticky" Threads on our sub-forum. There are a lot of answers there..:fing32:

If it is an 8N, they came out in 1948 through 1952. If it has a front mount distributor, its from 1948 through early 1950.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
After the passage of 60 (or 61) years... it's nigh impossible to determine which pieces of your tractor are original to it.

The engine block serial number is the 'most definitive' (or at least the most widely accepted) representation of year of manufacture. However... the block (as well as a majority of the parts) are interchangeable from the first (OK... maybe not the very first... maybe from about #2000) 9N made in 1939 to the last 8N made in 1952. And as such... it is quite possible that your engine block could have been exchanged at some point in time over the past 60 years (unless, of course, you have owned the tractor for its entire 60 years... and know for certain that this is not the case).

There are casting codes on some of the other major components... the axle trumpets and the hydraulic pump come to mind. These will specify a month and year (maybe even a day of the month... just not sure) of when that specific piece was cast, but... those items were "stockpiled" on the assembly line. As I understand it... the block's serial number was stamped as the tractor was assembled... thereby making it "more correct" for the assembled tractor.

All that being said...
As long as you are certain that you have an 8N (and not a 2N)... then there are not any differences (that I'm aware of) between a 1949 and an early 1950. There were SIGNIFICANT changes made to the 8N during model year 1950... specifically;
1. Relocating the distributor to the right side of the engine (and subsequently the generator to the left side of the engine... as well as designating the block as 8N-B).
2. Adding the Proofmeter to the dash (and subsequently the Proofmeter cable drive off of the rear of the governor).
3. The 'new and improved' steering box.
4. A "two-piece" shifter... a steel shaft with a screw-on, plastic, shift knob.

If your tractor has a front-mount distributor (and right-side generator)... the 'older' style governor (without a Proofmeter drive)... early dash (without a Proofmeter opening) and the older 'non-adjustable' steering box and a one-piece shifter... then there's really no parts/mechanical or cosmetic differences between a '49 and a '50.

That being said... I can understand (and sympathize with) your desire to know what year it REALLY is... :fing32:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your tractor has a front-mount distributor (and right-side generator)... the 'older' style governor (without a Proofmeter drive)... early dash (without a Proofmeter opening) and the older 'non-adjustable' steering box and a one-piece shifter... then there's really no parts/mechanical or cosmetic differences between a '49 and a '50.

That being said... I can understand (and sympathize with) your desire to know what year it REALLY is... :fing32:
Steve,

Its good to know that I am not the only one who thinks like this.....

1. The tractor dash doesn't have an opening for a Proofmeter. I only have 2 gauges (both do not work) and I have no idea what they are for....
2. My shifter is one piece and all metal.
3. It is a front mount distributor.

So I guess it sounds as if I may have been right that it is a 1950 (based on the serial #), but was made before they changed a couple of things on the 8N.

john

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Your 2 guages should be oil pressure (right-hand) and ammeter (or voltmeter... on the left).

If you look at your steering box from either side, where the arms come out that connect to the drag links... you should NOT see an 'adjustment plate' (like you DO see in the below photo)... this would indicate the 'older' style steering box... which would be original to your tractor.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Steve,

Its good to know that I am not the only one who thinks like this.....

1. The tractor dash doesn't have an opening for a Proofmeter. I only have 2 gauges (both do not work) and I have no idea what they are for....
2. My shifter is one piece and all metal.
3. It is a front mount distributor.

So I guess it sounds as if I may have been right that it is a 1950 (based on the serial #), but was made before they changed a couple of things on the 8N.

john
Do you have 4 speeds forward and one reverse??

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Check the casting dates on your tranny, diff, axle and hydraulic pump, these are the items less likely to have been changed over the years. That should give you a good idea of its actual age. I do not have the info on hand right here on how to read the casting dates but if Ken or Steve don't happen to have it I will try to get for you tonight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My serial # starts with 252XX. (cannot read the last 2 numbers, painted over..)

Also yes, I have 4 fwd and 1 rev gear...

Went out to the tractor when I got home, and it started right up.... Sounds like the coil....

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't have the #'s in front of me but the change to side dist mid 1950 was 263844 if my memory severs me well. I think the scrict ford fender also came out in later 1950.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
This will help decode the casting dates...

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
My serial # starts with 252XX. (cannot read the last 2 numbers, painted over..)

Also yes, I have 4 fwd and 1 rev gear...

Went out to the tractor when I got home, and it started right up.... Sounds like the coil....

Thanks,

John
The five digit serial number you gave 252XX makes it a 1947, is there 5 or 6 digits in the serial no.
Dan 2N

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan,

I really cannot tell you for sure how many digits because it is **** near impossible for me to read the whole thing. I can read 8N252..... Anything after that is a guess, could it several #'s, I do not know..... I haven't started looking at other items on the tractor for serial #'s, but again I am not sure...

I will say that I have read up on this and one of the things my tractor has on it that seems to be a change that occurred in the later 49-50 model is that the lift control (top rocker) has 3 holes in it instead of just 2.

I will continue in my search, but first must finish mowing my field in 1 hour increments....

Thanks,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts