My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If 15-20 is a realistic life span for garden tractor with light use, how much should I expect the life to be shortened with moderate to heavy use of ground engaging accessories?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That's hard to say. If you are not overextending what the machine was designed to do, you may not shorten by much at all.

The key is in good maintenance.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
The key is in good maintenance.
AND how you operate the acessories (attachments). You can beat any machine to death or use it wisely. This may mean taking a "smaller bite", depth/angle adjustments or slowing down ground speed. Most important I believe is the proper engine RPM for a given attachment under the conditions of use.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If 15-20 is a realistic life span for garden tractor with light use, how much should I expect the life to be shortened with moderate to heavy use of ground engaging accessories?
Try 42 years! At least that's how long my Simplicity 3012V has been rolling along. Tiller,dirt/snow blade,10" breaking plow,cultivators,disc harrow and 48" deck so it gets a lot of use. The former owner had a small truck garden so it's had moderate to heavy use. The 12hp Briggs needed a new coil and a little cleanup but no internal work when I got it!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Some people can buy a GT and have it a lifetime and others will have it tore up in a week. slkpk

·
Registered
665 Posts
I guess you cant say you didnt get your moneys worth there huh?
42 years... :thThumbsU

John I've had the 3012V for about 7 or 8 years now and it still runs and mows better than anything new we sell at the dealership! I'm planning on it working for another 20 years. By that time I'll be worn out!

Larry

·
Parts Robber
171 Posts
1st it depends what you are calling a "Garden Tractor" anything will get busted up if your abuse it but like the other I have several 30 + year old tractors that are still going strong. I really don't thing the new ones built today will ever come close to that though. The biggest weakness with garden tractors built now is the frame is too weak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts