My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had luck in finding an easy access route to the neutral safety switch? On my 1979 model year 220, you pretty much have to 'giggle the handle' (travel control lever) prior to every start to satisfy this switch. I've pulled the kick panel access door and contorted myself every which way but loose and can't seem to get at this bugger! :banghead3

Joel

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 220 but it appears to be arranged similar to my 446. If this is correct, then you need to remove the oil tank for access. I had the same problem on my tractor and it turned out not to be the switch itself. The starter relay ground circuit relies on electrical contact between the lever and the tractor's frame which can be poor due to rust, grease, etc. Not a great design. If this turns out to be your problem I'd suggest soldering or clamping a wire from a cleaned spot on the lever shaft to the frame. I simply connected my relay's negative terminal directly to ground and lived to tell the tale. I also run with scissors.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Unfortunately the route to the switch goes through the oil reservoir. I have heard of people who have been able to slide the oil reservoir forward enough to get their nimble fingers to the switch otherwise you're going to have to pull it.

While there are ways to work around the safety switch given the young operators waiting in the wings you would be wise to do it right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just done the same repairs on a 220 last week. The neutral switch is under the battery box on the right hand side when sitting in the seat. It is made of two brass pieces and they were corroded on mine and I just sanded the both pieces of brass and it worked like a charm.
Just pull the battery and then the battery box out and the switch is just down a little. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. That would be great to be able to have access w/out removing the oil tank. I really should have thought of this when I EMPTIED the oil tank the other day.:banghead3 It ain't gonna happen again for a while if I can avoid it.

Joel

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Joel......... The procedure used to access the safety switches depends upon the year of tractor being worked on. Neutral safety switches are bolted to the underside of the dashboard using the two carriage bolts you see just above the slot where the rod coming off the travel lever is.

Erapenny is referring to a PTO safety switch not a neutral switch.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awe crap that does make sense! I was wondering what those 2 mysterious carriage bolt heads were on the dash. :banghead3

Joel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts