My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone "upgraded" to the newer Accel Deep mower deck from the old Edge Xtra deck? I have a 2012 x534. I like mulching, when conditions permit because I don't have to worry where clippings get thrown and I can mow around trees/obstacles in any direction. (I have a lot of trees) Taking the mulch kit on and off is a PITA which generally requires dropping the deck to get it on and off. Fine once or twice a season, but not every few weeks. From what I've read, the Accel Deep is a direct fit to the older X series machines. List price looks to be about $1200 or so, plus the mulch control kit. Guessing I can get around $500 for selling my current 54" deck and mulch kit. I'm curious if anyone has done this, and if they think it's worth the money. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
I have often thought of this as well, and would really like to test the new deck. However, that's a lot of money even after selling the Edge. Going this route on a new purchase is a no brainer, but the upgrading is a tough nut.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have often thought of this as well, and would really like to test the new deck. However, that's a lot of money even after selling the Edge. Going this route on a new purchase is a no brainer, but the upgrading is a tough nut.
If everyone interested sends me $50 I'll try it out and report back! :p Chances are, I'll investigate it harder in the early fall.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not sure how much you like to tinker/fabricate, but seems you could retrofit that kit to your current deck. I'm sure you would have to fab some parts but...

·
Registered
75 Posts
The newer decks have stop plates welded to them.
JD changed the design of the deck stop when in the up most position.
On older machines the stop is on the frame of the tractor not on the deck.
So these would have to be removed from the deck to fit your machine.
I think this change happened in 2018 models newer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Look at both decks. It would be easier to start from scratch.
Sure, if you like sourcing and building your own wiring harness, actuator, finding OEM connectors, etc. The kit would give you a big jump start.

Anyway, just depends on your perspective.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The newer decks have stop plates welded to them.
JD changed the design of the deck stop when in the up most position.
On older machines the stop is on the frame of the tractor not on the deck.
So these would have to be removed from the deck to fit your machine.
I think this change happened in 2018 models newer.
Well that's certainly a wrinkle. I'll order through a dealer, and make sure they say it will work before I order. I have no interest/capability to fabricate anything myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By chance, has anyone switched machines and gone from the older deck to the newer one? Any thoughts on the differences?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts