My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1983 AC 912H,(my favorite)JD 116,JD L120,D140
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an AC 912H with deck. Also came with a blower and blade along with the operators manual. I plan on using it for mowing on a hill, hauling a few things ( within reason) and snow removal. I’m excited to have a GT to use instead of getting by with lighter duty machines. I have a JD D140 for the main mowing but I think the AC will definitely help make the transmission in the JD last longer. I’ve been reading all I can between the manual and online but I still have a lot of questions.I’d love to hear some opinions and tips if anyone’s in the mood. I’m thinking I should change all fluids and filters before I run it too much but other than that it appears to be ready to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s really hard to make out the number on the blade and the numbers on the blower have been painted over. I do see orange paint under the green though. I had pictures ready to go yesterday but apparently didn’t hit the post tab. Whoops. The blade picture won’t load for some reason. It’s not the one with the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve read some different opinions on what to use for the transmission fluid. The manual says 821 for trans and bgb. Does anyone know what type that is since they don’t make that any more? I’ve heard universal tractor hydraulic fluid or type F ATF. I Did read that a Wix 51410 is right for the trans filter.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
Walmart has the best price for Type F fluid..TSC is good for Hydro fluid...bring the old filter to a NAPA and they will match it up...the guy told me that WIX makes their filters...just be sure that it is actually a Hydraulic fluid filter...not an oil filter...did you check for the manual?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip. The manual says “spin on type filter with 25 micron rating”. I haven’t checked but hopefully the filter that’s on it now has some readable numbers.So it’s not just one specific hydro fluid? Do you have a brand preference? I have a Theisens store by me that has Harvest King brand. On the back of the jug it says it replaces Allis 821XL. Maybe I’m overthinking this.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
If you can't read the numbers they can get the diameter and the thread and figure it out...they did it for me...if it has that specific wording I would go for it with t he fluid

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
I don't think you're over-thinking the fluid. If there's one that replaces what the manual lists, that would seem appealing to me.

Another vote for bringing the filter to a good auto parts store, they should be able to match up one with the proper threads and outside diameter.

And as was said, you want a hydraulic filter, not an engine oil filter. As I recall from buying one last year, I think there was something about an engine oil filter having a check valve, whereas the hydraulic filter needed to allow a different type of flow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s interesting. I appreciate the info from both of you. I’ve seen some others that list Allis 821XL. My manual calls for Allis 821, not with the XL. I’m sure it’s the same thing but I’m in the process of double checking just to be sure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nice tractor and tough as nails! That would be the same as a Simplicity 7112, except the Simp had a Briggs engine vs the AC with a Kohler. Retrofitting a hydraulic lift would help when using the snowblower especially. They are sometimes available on Ebay, like this one:
I have a snowblower like yours, plus plow blade and rototiller and a bunch of modern tow behind implements. They are amazing little tractors, similar in capability to a SCUT nowadays. I put electric lifts on both my tractors - an AC 710 and a Simp 7016. Both have manual trannys so no hydro lift available.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I got the oil and trans fluid/filters changed last night so just have to change the bgb and I can use it without feeling like I’m doing something wrong. I like your picture. Did you add those headlights yourself? I noticed there’s an electric lift light on the dash of mine that lights up when I first turn the key. I double checked and there is no electric lift underneath but it makes me wonder if that was an add on option or if it originally had it. The light on the dash looks original.Of course Hydro lift would good too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Did you add those headlights yourself? I noticed there’s an electric lift light on the dash of mine that lights up when I first turn the key. I double checked and there is no electric lift underneath but it makes me wonder if that was an add on option or if it originally had it.
I added the lights - tractor lights from NAPA. The 710 did not have headlights - they were an add-on for that model that mounted in pods on the side of the hood. They're expensive and rare to find. Handy for plowing snow in the dark Montana winter.
The electric lift light is a mystery. I think it is a modification, maybe an oil pressure warning? Might be a repower engine? The electric lifts only require an up/down switch in that location on the dash. Looking at your photo, it appears there is a power lift mounting bracket installed - the two bolts in the frame right behind the hydro lever would be missing in a manual lift model. The electric lift bracket would look like the one in this photo, a hydro bracket would be different. They used the same lift actuator for many years and they show up from time to time on Ebay. I am not familiar enough with the 900 series to be sure if they used the electric lift or hydro lift in that model, maybe both. Could be several modifications have happened. If you can read the model number that would be helpful - right in front of the seat, might have to lift up the seat pan.
elect lift lable.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I see what your saying. I’ll check on that model number. I don’t know if you can see it in the picture but by the red light on the dash it says electric lift up, down. That’s interesting you brought up the oil pressure light switch to though because I noticed it stayed on just a little bit longer than usual on the first start after my oil change.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ok, I see what your saying. I’ll check on that model number. I don’t know if you can see it in the picture but by the red light on the dash it says electric lift up, down. That’s interesting you brought up the oil pressure light switch to though because I noticed it stayed on just a little bit longer than usual on the first start after my oil change.
The electric lift would just have an up/down toggle switch where that red light is. I'm thinking a previous owner took the electric lift off and replaced it with the manual lever, maybe because it broke? Unusual because they're very strong and durable, and why wouldn't they look for a replacement actuator...they are expensive, though. The swap of electric for manual is an easy job - simple bolt-on interchangeable parts.
Depending on the model year, I think the 912H would have had a Kohler K301 single cylinder engine, obviously not what is in your tractor. Later models may have had a different engine. You could determine the correct one from the model #. Again I am guessing someone replaced the engine and it came with the oil pressure light so they installed it in that convenient, now-empty hole in the dash.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good thinking, that makes a lot of sense to me. I went out this morning to look for the model # but didn’t see it. I have the original manual with a tractor I.D. Number written in it. 1690516-6538. It has been repowered with a 25 hp Kohler Command. I have the manual for that too. I was just looking at a picture of one on Craigslist (not to buy, just to look) and was pretty sure I could see a toggle switch right where you’re talking.I bet you’re right.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Based on your model number, here is some info:
  • It is a 1983 model
  • They came with a manual lift
  • the electric lift would be a dealer re-fit option. That probably included the "up/down" switch decal.
  • Hydro lifts were standard on the 917 and 919 models, but the 912 transmission likely did not have a hydro accessory port, so they offered the electric lift instead.
  • the 912H had a 12 HP Kohler K301 single cylinder engine
  • it cost around $4500 new.

Here is a photo of my 710 switches. Top - lights, middle - electric lift, bottom - winch for front scoop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh wow, good info. Thanks. Looks like you got yours set up nice. I’ll definitely have to follow up with the electric lift option. Guess I’d have to find a spot for the toggle though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Guess I’d have to find a spot for the toggle though.
They used the same dash cover for several years. It's likely there is another switch hole under the dash decal (like on mine). You have to pull the steering wheel, then unscrew the 4 bolts to take it off and see. You would have to do that anyway to install a switch.

I got electric lifts off Ebay for both my tractors. If you already have the mounting bracket, that gives you more options because they used the same actuator with different mounts for some other models. I have seen the actuators sold without the other kit parts sometimes. The full "kit" is shown in my previous post: Actuator, mounting bracket, wiring and switch, and a pointer that replaces the manual lift handle. Same kit used in Simplicity 3000, 4000, 7000, 7100, AC 700, 900 series and probably others.
If you do find one on Ebay, its best to take it apart and re-grease the gears in the actuator. Not difficult and both mine were pretty crusty, but the gears were perfect.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts