My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another AC found its way here this mornin.... havent had time to look it over much but it appears to be a worth while project.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Looks good Lance. Even has the rear top lift parts. Definitely worth hanging on to of you need a stout GT. Of course it will be a good flip too!
Larry

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys, probably not a long term keeper but its the first K361 Ive come across so Im interested in trying that out... assuming I can get it running and functional of course, its another one of those "it was running when I parked it" deals. Overall it does seem to be in decent condition and compete.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd like to find some other attachments for this 718 so if anyone has some model numbers handy for any attachments that will fit it I would appreciate those.... tiller, snowblower and front blade. TIA
Lance that's the beauty of the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers units. Just about any implements from either badge and from the early 1960s to the early 1990s will cross over with a few obvious exceptions like the front plow mounts and the tiller mule drives. I've been fooling around with those tractors so long I can look at implements and pretty much tell you what tractors they will fit but I'm lost on model numbers of implements. And I'm just talking about the " large frame " tractors as SimpleTractors guys refer to them. I've never got into the "small frame" lawn tractors.

Anyway, if you peruse over to www.simpletractors.com the club has some good info on the tractors and a "what fits" section that should help.
Larry

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got it fire up with a squirt bottle today so thats progress, no fuel coming out of the tank tho, even tho its a plastic tank the fitting and screen are metal and had rusted away plugging the line, dont know if the fuel pump works but I should have spares. Happy so far :D

·
3,218 Posts
It's a beast...nice find....you should post teh pictures on the show and tell over on Simple Tractors...I think they would love to see it...good luck with it Mark

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah Lance I agree it's not a beast when compared to my Case 446 or a Simplicity 4041 Powermax or any of the other larger garden tractors of that era but compared to today's so-called garden tractors it really is a monster. Heck, I've used(abused) my 17GTH-L to pull a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup full of firewood out of the woods when I got caught back there when it started raining and the trail for too slick to drive up the hills.

Congrats and good luck!
Larry

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it runs and drives, I had it out for test run under its own power today, lots of fuel blowback out the carb so it may have some valve issues, the hydro tranny works well and is nice and quiet, both pto work but the deck itself is not turning, charging system is working, electric lift is working. So its promising but needs a bit of work;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Lance you triggered something in my feeble brain when you said electric lift. That 718 is definitely a lighter tractor than my old 17GTH-L or the 917. And the 17GTH has hydro lift too. Anyhoo, good to see it's going and may yet survive.
Larry

·
Registered
665 Posts
the AC 718 is the identical twin to the Simplicity 7018
Yep. And your 917 is mate to the Simplicity 7117 and 1st cousin to my 17GTH-L. All good units and far beyond today's offerings until you get into the compact tractors.
Larry

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the 917 was a nice tractor also but hydro tractors in general dont usually stay in my yard very long, gears are a far more effecient means of transfering power and if I only have 17hp... Im just not willing to give up that 2 or 3 hp thats reqiured to run a hydro tranny.

but the 718...... its spitting quite alot of fuel out the carb so those valves are not seating properly Im sure.... Im gonna pull the head off and do a MAJOR clean job on it and cross my fingers. Im sure valve and seats would be available for it if needed. I have lined up another K361 engine but of course it needs head work also, I might pick it up anyway for some currently unknown project... with a Peerless 2300;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Lance you bring out a good point about the hp lost to the hydro transmission, although with the 917/7117 series with hydro lift I always thought it worth the trade-off. I've always wondered how much hp loss there is with belt slippage under severe load. If talking about true shaft drive like the older Cub Cadet that's another story.
Larry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts