My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an AC 710 for sale. It seems to be the same thing as a Simplicity 7010, based on cross reference charts. This one looks like the newer model - with headlights in the grill rather than outside. The ad says it is a 3 speed, but the newer ones look like they should have 6 speeds. If so, how is the low range operated? Move the belt to a separate set of drive pulleys, maybe?

This looks to be a heavy duty GT, but I have no experience with Simplicity/AC tractors. I would like info about durability, parts availability, what to look for in possible trouble spots, etc.

Could I put a FEL on this?

Thanks. Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one has replied to my post, I guess I will have to talk to myself. I went and picked up the 710 (7010) today. It is in nice condition for its age. Everything works as it is supposed to. A few rust spots and lots of grease and oil. It does need a good cleaning and replace all the fluids to start with. The former owner had been using it for a backup mower when his was down, so it has had occasional use for about the last 6 years, not just sitting.

Reading other posts makes me believe this should have a really great mowing deck, but it is VERY loud, has a lot of vibration, and doesn't make a very nice cut. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to start in getting the mower sweetened up? I am thinking I should pull the deck and check the blade balance, pulleys, idler, timing and bearings. What is the usual procedure?

I will post some pix when I get to working on it.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
"I am thinking I should pull the deck and check the blade balance, pulleys, idler, timing and bearings. What is the usual procedure?"

Sounds like you have the right idea about what to check. Only thing I can add is to check the belt(s) itself - no kinks, no missing pieces, etc. Sounds like your blades are dull and out of balance, but while you're at it, check all the items you mention.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The Simplicities and A/C's are quite durable tractors and are known for a great cut on the grass. Parts are readily available from many sources. I have seen a few with FEL's on them.

Noise and vibration from the deck would indicate bearings or idler pulleys. Blades out of balance of course would also cause vibrations. Is your deck a 42" or 48"?

When you say "doesn't make a very nice cut" can you describe what it was doing? Uneven cut? Scalping? Clumping of grass? Leaving strips? When you were mowing was a good flow of grass clippings coming out the discharge chute? The pto belt has a twist in it and it can be installed twisted the wrong direction and still work, but it will beat the grass to death with the back side of the blade instead of cutting it with the edge since the blades will be spinning backwards.

Also inspect the underside of the deck and make sure all baffles and rollers are as they should be. If that is a little vague, if you could post a pic of the underside of the deck, we could soon tell you. Also leveling according to the manual makes a big difference in the finish cut.

Good luck with your new acquisition. Once tweaked and tuned in you should love it!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say "doesn't make a very nice cut" can you describe what it was doing? Uneven cut? Scalping? Clumping of grass? Leaving strips? When you were mowing was a good flow of grass clippings coming out the discharge chute? The pto belt has a twist in it and it can be installed twisted the wrong direction and still work, but it will beat the grass to death with the back side of the blade instead of cutting it with the edge since the blades will be spinning backwards.

Also inspect the underside of the deck and make sure all baffles and rollers are as they should be. If that is a little vague, if you could post a pic of the underside of the deck, we could soon tell you. Also leveling according to the manual makes a big difference in the finish cut.
Thanks for the replies! I think it is a 42" deck; I'll measure it. It was leaving an uncut strip a couple of inches wide, like between two of the blades, and is uneven from side to side. the clippings come out with plenty of force and clean, not clumpy - it seems to be turning the correct direction. The deck drive belt looks nearly new. Three things i noticed with quick inspection - the blades are really dull with lots of dents in the edges. The deck is missing a large 6 or 7 inch long L-shaped spring-loaded screw that adjusts the rollers on one end of the deck, and the deck lift mechanism may be worn or mis-adjusted, because the deck seems to be right on the ground except at the highest settings (i.e. you have to mow with the lever in a very compromising position)

I see that the deck attachment is pretty complicated. I haven't looked closely enough to figure out if it is correctly installed. the rollers seem to ride on the ground all the time; is that the way they are supposed to work? My other mower just has anti-scalp wheels that float free unless there is a bump.

Is there a timing setup for the blades? I don't know how they are positioned now. I guess I will have to get under the thing and check it out.

I got this tractor for a project - looks like I am finding out the list of where to start.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p.s. when I say the deck is loud, I mean it sounds scary, like things are about ready to fly through the floorboards! :maddd: it's not just smooth loudness. You can't even hear the engine which has a nice tough sounding beat like one of the old one-lunger Kohler's should.

·
Registered
773 Posts
p.s. when I say the deck is loud, I mean it sounds scary, like things are about ready to fly through the floorboards! :maddd: it's not just smooth loudness. You can't even hear the engine which has a nice tough sounding beat like one of the old one-lunger Kohler's should.
Pull the top deck covers and inspect the idler pulley. The tensioner should allow the pulley to swing freely. There should be no up and down play in the idler or the arbors. Check the underside of the deck covers to see if you can see any indication of the belt or any of the pulleys coming in contact with it.

There is no timing involved with the blades as they are offset front to back and thus overlap in their cutting diameters without hitting. The blades could be bent or sharpened to the point where they have become to short.

On the underside, make sure the baffle and rollers are in place and intact.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here is the "new" tractor and some pix of the deck. I found out why it is noisy. . .

First the good news:

- it isn't too rusty and is not bent up much.
- one of the deck bearings is good.
- it has a new pto drive belt
- the pto, idler and drive pulleys on the tractor are good

Rest of the story::crybaby:

- front mounting bolts, carrier to tub = loose
- main drive pulley = loose and can be wiggled by hand.
- center bearing carrier is splayed out on the bottom from worn out bearing.
The grease zerk is missing
- one other blade bearing turns easily but is noisy
- inside rollers are missing a bolt and are out of alignment
- roller adjusting screw is missing - thus the height adjustment doesn't
function.
- no belt safety cover
- no outlet chute deflector
- drive belt worn out
- blades are bowed up 1/8" to 1/4" and very dull and chipped - see pix. I
assume they should be straight.
- Idler pulley hinge bolt is loose and has about 1/8" play - i.e. it just flops
around.
- lube and maintenance, not likely
- numerous loose bolts
- one front tire is flat

No wonder it cuts awful and sounds like it is about to explode - it is! I think it was just scaring the grass. Lets just say it has potential and leave it at that. I guess I need to start investigating the parts sources and service manuals.

- in other news, the transmission is either dry or the drain hole is plugged. the trans seems to work ok for the moment.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts