My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the call this week.

My only and younger brother has inoperable lung cancer.

He has four great 4 kids, one grandkid and a loving wife. He waited until Thanksgiving was over to tell us. Not sure if that makes any sense but that is how he handled it.

I gave up cigs 25 years ago while he remained a smoking chimney. He just would not listen.

So, he is off to Chemo & Radiation. Stage 3 cancer. They just put a shunt in him so they can pump that chemo stuff into him daily. The same disease thing that killed my father.

I work in the FD and used SCBA when SCBA was not 'cool'. I gave up smoking cold turkey way back when. I was always a bug about fighting fight fires in a better way. I've fought fires for decades and thought smoking was crazy. I did as much as I could to avoid smoke yet smokers put smoke in their lungs on purpose. A horrible addiction!

If YOU smoke, stop! If someone in your family smokes, get them to stop.

We are not sure how long he has. One heck of a way to go into a holiday season. He may or may not make it throughout this one and if he does, it will be in the back of our minds if the next holiday one is his last one.

Stop smoking, stop chewing. Stop from going down the road my brother is going. His cancer affects more than just him. We will all suffer..

Stop smoking! if it applies to you!

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Sorry to hear of another one struck by a horrible disease. Prayers to him and his family.

Smoking is a terrible habit that becomes a disease of its own...one that for many can't be stopped, even if they want to.

I'm none smoker, but only because I never started smoking. Don't think I be one of the ones that are able to quit.

Sad news.

:sorry1:

·
10K and Climbin!
12,355 Posts
Sorry to here about your brother. My prayers for all of you involved. :praying:
Amen Monteman.. :praying:

I guess I'm not the only A-h%$# trying to get people close to me to quit such a destructive habit. As an ex-smoker I know how tough it can be to quit.. It's just too late for your brother so that issue has passed and now you need to be strong and help out your family members and care and comfort them in this time of stress & uncertanty.
Maybe we should make the price go up to $50 a pack? :dunno: The graphic commercials of late don't seem to be slowing anyone down as the cigg's still fly off the shelf..:dunno::banghead3 It was your brother's choice to make and it may seem selfish & dumb at this time and place..

Hang in there Flintlock and I hope your plea will give other smokers pause to think about the terrible consequences of their smoking habit..:confused:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

He has four great 4 kids, one grandkid and a loving wife. He waited until Thanksgiving was over to tell us. Not sure if that makes any sense but that is how he handled it.

I gave up cigs 25 years ago while he remained a smoking chimney. He just would not listen.

So, he is off to Chemo & Radiation. Stage 3 cancer. They just put a shunt in him so they can pump that chemo stuff into him daily. The same disease thing that killed my father.

I work in the FD and used SCBA when SCBA was not 'cool'. I gave up smoking cold turkey way back when. I was always a bug about fighting fight fires in a better way. I've fought fires for decades and thought smoking was crazy. I did as much as I could to avoid smoke yet smokers put smoke in their lungs on purpose. A horrible addiction!

If YOU smoke, stop! If someone in your family smokes, get them to stop.

We are not sure how long he has. One heck of a way to go into a holiday season. He may or may not make it throughout this one and if he does, it will be in the back of our minds if the next holiday one is his last one.

Stop smoking, stop chewing. Stop from going down the road my brother is going. His cancer affects more than just him. We will all suffer..

Stop smoking! if it applies to you!
Well said sir . Although I've never been a smoker I've seen it's destructive results from numerous people I've known including my grandmother who died from it and my mother who although still living she hacks & coughs constantly from smoking. I also have 2 sons that are firefighters , my oldest at Ladder1 Charlotte N.C. and my second son Station #3 Waldorf Md . I always worry about them and know that smoke inhalation is major risk .Very sorry to hear about your brother , I feel your pain especially since it was avoidable .

Mike

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Let me start by saying I'm not really good at prayer, but if you close your eyes and send a caring thought to God I think it counts. I have done so for your family, in particular your brother. Sometimes the treatments work, and I hope they do for him.

·
16,630 Posts
I am sorry to hear this--it will affect not only him, like you stated--but many, many others--

Only thing you (we) can do is ask for devine help for others--:praying:

and hope your brother has some good times left.

And no--going up on the price of cigerettes is not going to stop people--that will just put more $$ in someone else's pockets...

Keep the faith, my friend--

glenn

·
Super Moderator
33,720 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother! Our prayers are with him as he get's his treatments and hopefully he'll get into remission.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. My brother died last week. His son is graduating at a State Trooper; his son has another son on the way; his daughter just got engaged; his other son will be entering the State Trooper Academy at next class. A lot he will miss as we miss him.

DON'T SMOKE!!!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,879 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, my condolences.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,715 Posts
My condolances on the loss of your brother!...prayers to you and your family...

As for the smoking sermon,I agree---I started smoking when I was about 13,and my MOM was who gave me ciggarettes,after she caught me smoking!....she smoked 3 packs a day since long before I was born in 1958,and continued too up until 2001,when she was diagnosed with COPD and emphasema..now also suffers from congestive heart failure and high blood pressure...

She is now at a life care faciltiy undergoing "physical rehab"...but at age 85,I rather doubt she'll be getting any better..up until a month ago she was still living at home,but she started losing her legs,they swelled up with edema,she cant walk far or keep her balance,and ended up falling twice after her first stint in the local hospital...she's been back in the hospital twice since then...now the whole family is in turmoil,especially me,since I have been living with her and have nowhere else to go once she's gone...worst of all she's refused to do anything to protect her home from being taken by a lein by the nursing home or tell any of the family what her plans are for her estate--IF there IS one after she passes...frankly I am shocked she lasted this long..

I quit smoking when she was diagnosed 12 years ago,I never smoked heavily,only maybe 6 ciggarettes a day at most--I had testicular cancer the same year,and often wondered if smoking was what caused it...now I hate the smell of tobacco,cant stand being around anyone smoking...everyone in my family except my younger brother smoked at least some of their lives,then quit..and we all have various diseases like sleep apnea,athsma,heart murmurs,etc...

I fear my best friend who is only in his 40's will be the next to die,he smokes like a chimmney,and sounds like he already has lung cancer.....my other best friend died at age 36 from heart disease back in 1994,he smoked since he was 13 too...

I probably got enough second hand smoke exposure from just being in the house with my mom to get lung cancer...she even smoked while I was in the womb--thats how addictive tobacco is!...I also urge anyone who smokes to quit asap,its not just you its hurting,it hurts everyone who knows you too...

·
What did you say ?
582 Posts
Sad and my condolences.

My brothers wife died from it too. The only parent my wife and I have left is her mom and she is on an oxygen bottle. She does not see any point in stopping now. It would not be right to badger her about it but it blows.

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I pray for strength for the family to move on, they have already been through alot. I quit in 1973 when my Dad had open heart surgery. I worked with several men who died within two years after they retired because of lung cancer from smoking.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. If the post can help one person quit smoking maybe that is an offset to my situation. If more take heed, all the better. It is a beautiful, clear, sunny day and my brother is not here to enjoy it. Best regards to all.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update on an old thread. Now my mother, a smoker, has double lung cancer. If you smoke, please stop.

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Just an update on an old thread. Now my mother, a smoker, has double lung cancer. If you smoke, please stop.
In this day and age with all the info out there it's hard to understand why people still smoke.
Sorry you are having to go through this again.

My FIL died of cancer a few years ago. It wasn't smoking related but the doc said he would have had a better chance fighting the cancer if he had not been a life long heavy smoker.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I lost my brother 5 years ago to lung cancer.Yes he smoked.But was also a construction worker who worked in nuclear power plants for years?He lost many clothes and work boots over the years because of radiation.Was sent home with pay because of high readings.The cancer also traveled to his brain and colon.But because he smoked it was blamed on smoking.

I also lost a sister inlaw different brothers wife.Who was very pro non smoking.She was never around smokers.Because she was a very private person.She was a house wife and was not around my brother who smoked or my self who also smokes.Her husband my other brother did not smoke.She died of lung cancer.She did buy everything caned however and never used a stove or oven.She relied only on a micro wave oven for cooking?

My grandfather lived to be 92 and smoked his intire life.He had a large garden and canned everything him self.Never owned a micro wave.

I still smoke I might die of lung cancer?But I do have a large garden and try to avoid all the processed foods?When my brother died and I was with him daily during his last 3 months of life I almost quit smoking and I have cut back and no longer smoke in the house.But my sister inlaw died from lung cancer as well 3 months later.She hated smoking had a smoke free life.I just can not get that out of my head.

I know several who have died of cancer most never smoked.I feel its time to find other causes along with smoking.

They are building a marijuana growing facility 3 miles from my house.There popping up all over the state.However research tells me there are only 190 perscriptions for medical use marijauna in the state.Why so many facilities and why is it so hush hush?Simple there about to follow Colorado and make it a recreational use state.So people can use it legaly and make our roads more dangerous like drinking and driving and Texting and talking or cell phones.Look at all the money they will make writing tickets when there pulled over and the money that will be passed under the talbles at our court houses.

People have smoked for 500 years plus.Sure its not good sure I have lost a brother to cancer who smoked.But many other friends and family also who did not.I have lost friends and family to impaired driving both because of others and some there own driving.I was also hit head on and survived along with my wife.By a repeat drunk driver who got know more then a slap on the wrist.Because he had the right lawyer and knew the system well.

My brother was a border line alchoholic.He went to work every day and worked hard to provide for his kids.But he drank heavily at night and weekends.I had a alchoholic neighbor who died of liver cancer.But thats never mentioned in the statistics that drinking is linked to cancer.

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
This can bring up a debate that can go on forever. We probably all know someone that was an exception to the rule. I don't preach to anyone about smoking, it's their choice. They just don't do it in my home or my vehicles and i won'r sit at a table with them at a restaurant.
There are many reasons someone can develop lung cancer. maybe they worked in a factory or office building back in the 70's with asbestos in it.
I try to eat healthy organic food as much as I can and i quit smoking in 1973 and haven't had a drink in 24 years. I will sit at a table with someone that has a drink. There are many restaurants that serve alcohol and i don't have a problem with that but I won't go to a tavern to eat. Most people in a tavern are there to drink.
Maybe i'm getting off topic here but as for me I believe smoking is bad and stay away from it. I have medical reasons for that. Whatever habits we have or don't have may or may not make us live any longer but I do believe with good choices our quality of life can be better without putting toxins in our bodies for however long we live.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts