My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen the thread I posted the other day about a deal I missed by 10 minutes. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=150678

Well, today I was cruising craigs list and saw an ad for cub cadet wheel weights(though, I don't think they are actually cub wheel weights, they just came off a cub) and tire chains for 50 bucks. The ad is down already or I would have posted the link. I figured they would be gone, but I called anyways. They were still there to my surprise. After talking to the guy for a few minutes and finding out where he was, I decided it was too far to go, even for 50 bucks. Just before I was ready to say goodbye, he mentions that his father had recently died, and they were cleaning out a bunch of old stuff and he mentioned a tractor. Hmm I thought. I asked him what kind of tractor, he said an old 12hp cub cadet but he didn't know the model. But, if I came and bought the weights and chains for 50 bucks, he'd give me the tractor free! Said it doesn't run, but it does turn over. It's been stored in a shed out of the weather. I haven't seen pics or anything, but after thinking about it for about a nano second, I figure I'll drive an hour and 45 minutes(each way) for 50 dollar wheel weights, tire chains, and a free tractor.

Getting it tomorrow, I'll post some pics then. I'm kinda excited about it and figured I'd share the story.

Jeff

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up the tractor this evening, too dark for pics, my phone doesn't have a flash. It's a cub 129 hydro. Haven't monkeyed with it yet, gonna clean the fuel system tomorrow and see where I'm at from there. All in all it's in pretty good shape, used not abused. A lot better than I expected for a free tractor. Hasn't run for a while, but it was stored under roof so not much rust at all. For a bonus, he also gave me a free Ariens sno thro snow blower! He also offered me 2 push mowers and a weed whacker, but I declined. So, for my 50 bucks(plus 45 in gas) I got a pair of REALLY heavy duty 2 link tire chains for 23x10.50-12 tires, a pair of homemade(I believe) wheel weights, a cub 129, and an ariens sno blower. I'd like to find those kind of deals every day.

After I posted yesterday, my cousin called and told me a guy who works for him was selling a decent condition sears custom 10. Said I could have it if I paid him more than the junk man. I got that for 50 bucks too. Picking it up tomorrow, no time tonight by the time I got back from the road trip.

Pics will be up tomorrow.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,703 Posts
Those are nice finds.
You really lucked out on that Cub.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here's my $50 haul!
This is what I bought for $50 The chains are very heavy, cut down car chains maybe?

And here's what I got for free! Don't mind my fingers in the shots, it was raining and I was trying to keep my phone dry.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Some guys have all the luck.
But then again I did good on the 2554 I bought used and re-sold ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the Sears Custom 10 I got for 50 bucks. Sorry for tainting the cub forum with this. LOL

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
J.Gibson, I try to never let the good fortune of others affect me in a bad way but I may be feeling a bit of envy. Even so, congrats on the great haul. Glad you stayed on the phone as long as you did, it led to him sweetening the pot.:thThumbsU

·
-
1,829 Posts
I just broke my keyboard smashing myself in the head with it... :banghead3

Nice finds...

Can I rub your tractors for luck finding deals like that? ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got the Cub running. Checked the tank and carb for goo. Found none, it was clean and dry. Checked the oil, full but could use a change. It took a good battery and a little gas to get it to run. Even moves and mows. Now to get the **** mouse nest out from the tins.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I got the Cub running. Checked the tank and carb for goo. Found none, it was clean and dry. Checked the oil, full but could use a change. It took a good battery and a little gas to get it to run. Even moves and mows. Now to get the **** mouse nest out from the tins.
Sure.. rub it in a little why don't you! :)

Seriously, that is awesome! You have yourself quite a find there!

·
Super Moderator
32,639 Posts
Nice haul on that deal! Let me know if you need to open some space up on your property I can come down and haul some of those away for you! :ROF Do you live off of Route 8? I see a place along there with a lot of tractors sitting.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice haul on that deal! Let me know if you need to open some space up on your property I can come down and haul some of those away for you! :ROF Do you live off of Route 8? I see a place along there with a lot of tractors sitting.
I live near Chicora, not very close to Rt 8, about 15 or 20 miles depending which way I go. I'm pretty secluded, unless you're field stomping, you probably won't see much of my place.

Tomorrow, I'll see what the snow blower will take to get running, hope it's as hard to get going as the Cub! Good chance I'll sell the snowblower once it's running, or trade it. I have the mounted blower for my Sears, and I have a dozer blade for the 18 hp Wards Gilson.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the snowblower was as hard to get going as the Cub was, added gas, hit the primer a few times, four pulls and it fired.

·
Registered
123 Posts

i live off of rt 8 on 228 toward saxonburg. thats a heck of a find on the cub.

·
Registered
54 Posts
wow you should have gotten a lottery ticket to try and keep the streak alive. Seriously though, nice going on these deals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts