My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could it be done? They look similar enough.

Here's my thing...I have a 10201 at my friend's house that does work very well, but that V engine is just so clunky and rattly that I'm getting to the point where I want to fix it. But rather than rebuild a V, what about a "sleeper" DuraForce? Put the DF shortblock on the 10201 deck complete with the original V muffler and fuel tank. A quick glance at both tells me it probably wouldn't be that difficult if all the bolts line up, which they should.

In car speak, it'd be like swapping out a 305 Chevy V8 for a 350. Undetectable to the average person looking at it, but a major difference in power.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don't know how easy/possible that swap would be, but I try not to spend any time on steel deck mowers. I'd probably save that DF motor of your's until a nice seized Gold DF shows up on craigslist. I know what you're saying about the sleeper thing. You aren't the kinda guy who would put a 454 in a vega are you? :hide:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I tried a while back putting a v engine on a duraforce aluminum deck with the muffler on top. The mounting bolts for the head dont work.
I shoulda known you woulda tried that. You know what would be neat? A D engine three speed? Didn't they make a bricktop with belt driven self propel in the 1980's?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how easy/possible that swap would be, but I try not to spend any time on steel deck mowers. I'd probably save that DF motor of your's until a nice seized Gold DF shows up on craigslist. I know what you're saying about the sleeper thing. You aren't the kinda guy who would put a 454 in a vega are you? :hide:
Close! Put a 460 (actually 472") in a Pinto! Ran deep in the 9s with no blower or bottle!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Close! Put a 460 (actually 472") in a Pinto! Ran deep in the 9s with no blower or bottle!
No chance of getting rear ended.....!!! Why didn;t ford do that from the start. See someone coming up behind you too fast...mash the gas. Problem solved ..NO MORE EXPLODING PINTOS!!

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
No chance of getting rear ended.....!!! Why didn;t ford do that from the start. See someone coming up behind you too fast...mash the gas. Problem solved ..NO MORE EXPLODING PINTOS!!
OK, now you guys are just bringing back bad memories of my 428 powered Mustang II.......

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
OK, now you guys are just bringing back bad memories of my 428 powered Mustang II.......
Born a hero...er...or at least eventually made one by us gear heads.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Must've took some serious stuffing to get a big block anything into a Pinto/Mustang II. Theres a yellow 460 powered Pinto thats rather famous, I saw it at a cruise once. Now, put a 401 in your Gremlin or Hornet and you're really stylin'!!:cool:

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Why not put that 401 in a Pacer? That would be one fast fishbowl! :ROF

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I was going to say that but saw you talking about Chevys in the past so I went with the Vega thing. Did you race that pinto at WIR? I remember seeing one running nines a few years back. Maybe it was you?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to say that but saw you talking about Chevys in the past so I went with the Vega thing. Did you race that pinto at WIR? I remember seeing one running nines a few years back. Maybe it was you?
I ran it at WIR a few times. I met someone who was willing to give me stupid money for it, trailer and all, so it was gone.
WIR was the slowest track I ever drag raced at. I have no idea why either...I could never get decent times there. I was almost always at least 3-5 tenths faster at Union Grove.
When I had my Grand Prix, I got the same times at WIR when it was in the low 50s outside as I did at Firebird Raceway in Chandler, AZ when it was 115° out! Figure that one out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts