My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Lowes Friday. While wandering around I happened to notice a couple of chain saws that were marked down. One of them was a Huskvarna 20" for $245. Apparently it was one of those where someone needed one to do one job so bought it new beat it up and then returned it for his money back. The sign on it said 1 year warrentee.

I think the saw it the 4.9 hp model. Sells for around $490 new. It was supposed to have been reconditioned, but the bar and chain look beat. My experience with chain saws is that mostly it is the bar and chain that go bad. Thinking of seeing if the store will throw in a new bar and chain.

Is there anything else that should be looked at to see if it is worth the price, or will just be a headach?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Take it out back and try it (they'll do it if you ask)!!

Just a note, attempting to ascribe why some unseen/unknown person did or didn't do something and why, would not be a habit I would want to get into too often!!:trink39:

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
i would be leary on that one. what does reconditioned mean if the bar and chain are ng? i used to work for a box store and on used mowers that came back they would have me clean it and put in a new plug (maybe change the oil if it was black) and label it reconditioned! ROF

G

·
Carl, I would try and find out why it was returned. It could be as you stated or perhaps it was a lemon. If they throw in a new bar & chain and it runs good. Sounds like you might have a pretty good deal on your hands but I would be cautious as well.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I owuld ask to see if they will allow you to fire it up and play with it some. If it runs terrible or erattic, or if its anything wrong internally it would show up pretty quiick on a high reving 2 cycle engine....

One time while at Keesler AFB, MS. I was in the local base exchange, passing time while waiting for the wife and youngin to get finished with some doctors apppointments in the hospital there. I spotted a clearance table which had lots of dirt cheap items on it. I picked up a Poulan 3400, A poulan 3700 and a Poulan 2000 chainsaw after spending only $100 for all three saws. In the store they thought I was probably crazy, as I removed the plugs and checked for spark, and also compression, then made the decision to buy.......Also bought some 2 stroke oil, bar oil and a gal of bottled water........Went outside hit the bottle of water a swig or two, and dumped the rest, and did my best to shake out every drop left in the container........dumped in the oil and headed for the base service station and filled it with a gal of gas.......The military is kind of quirkey, so I headed to the beach area and pulled into a parking area alongside the beaches there, and fueled up the saws, and filed up the oil resivoir for the chain.....Fired them up, one ran perfect after I adjusted the carb, as someone had the screws turned completely in..........On to saw #2, pulled my head off, lots of spark compression but no start.......PUlled of air cleaner to drop some gas into carb and try it and I spoptted the fuel line was off at the carb........quick fix and off it went, like a champ........Again saw #3 was nothing more than a carb adjustment.........Those Poulan 3400 and 3700 saws were some of the best saws Poulan has ever produced, and even though they were consumer green in color they equaled the Poulan Pros of their era in power and quality. I got over 20 years with the two larger saws, but only made about 15 minutes with the 2000 model, as I hung it in a really tall but skinny sycamore, and tried to cut it out with another saw, only to have the tree spin and jump and then slide off the stump and take the 2000 along with it, and landed right up under that trees butt end and was pushed way down in the dirt, it literally busted the entire case and folded the bar up like a piece of paper........

I seriously doubt anything internally was preformed onthe saws you seen, and then sold as a reconditioned unit, odds are it wa more of a user screw up or nothing more than buy use and return type deal. Husky bars are pretty good quality and if the rails are not wire edged or spread or it shows any signs of heating up such as blue spots on the tip or right on the bottom in front of chaian guard its probablay going to be perfectly fine. They tend to get ratty looking pretty quick when the paint wears, and paint on bars is not a so called high priority item for the manufactuers to consider in making it durable....Certainly not a bad price considering 1 year warranty.........

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the saw that I am interested in is still at the store I will ask to try it out. Have a 2'dia section of willow that I can try it on. Try to have the store supply a new bar and chain too? Can't hurt. :)

Thanks for the helpful comments.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Carl, if the store still has the saw why dont you open it up a little in the store. If it has been used alot it will show as dirty or discolored plastic from gas and oil.Check the cooling fins if they are oily and cruded upfrom the fine sawdust. Being a Husky I doubt a weekend warrior could have hurt that motor other than not using the proper oil mix but even that is a no brainer w/ the oil today coming in single containers for a single gal of fuel..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts