My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
repaired a V6 engine in a Malibu that had oil pumping into the cooling system.
Cooling system is full of greasy crap and ****, anyone have any tips and or tricks to the best thing i could use to get this crap flushed out at home?
I plan on filling with water, running engine, draining it, a few times. Opening block drains, flushing every direction possible with a garden hose, but wondering if there is anything i could add that would cut/dissolve this crap more than just water.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There is a radiator/cooling system "flush" that you mix with the water that is made just for cleaning and flushing out cooling systems. I have never bought or used it, but I would think you could buy this at most any automotive parts store. Or you could mix a gallon of degreaser in with the water, run the engine for a bit then flush out with plain water a couple of times.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a radiator/cooling system "flush" that you mix with the water that is made just for cleaning and flushing out cooling systems. I have never bought or used it, but I would think you could buy this at most any automotive parts store. Or you could mix a gallon of degreaser in with the water, run the engine for a bit then flush out with plain water a couple of times.
yea i know of those flush products, never have used any, just hate buying stuff that you have no idea if it will do any good or not. Since most work on normal cooling system crap, oil isnt usually in there. The degreaser idea doesnt sound bad if i can find something that does work in water.
Hmmmm, how about a gallon of liquid laundry soap? :) Course the engine might be foaming from the mouth if ya couldnt get it all out. the block and heater core is main concern.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Depending on the metals involved dishwashing detergent meant for use in dishwashers may or may not be a good choice. Some of these products are hard on aluminum.

I've not had to address this problem but suspect it's not that unique. Maybe a visit to the local auto parts store would turn up a product made for this. I suspect I'd give the dish soap used for hand washing dishes a shot if I were unable to find a purpose made product.

Probably someone will come along with a viable solution.

Mike

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Old time mechanics used a bottle of Lestoil in with the water,let it run at fast idle for several minutes ,then flush it good with a garden hose...some guys used Lye,but its caustic and can do more harm than good in modern day radiators and blocks!..

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,781 Posts
Our shop used to use a lye-based flush and a neutralizer; after aluminum blocks became commonplace, we went to an acid/base system. Make sure to NEVER leave the acid in for longer than what's on the label, and be sure to have the heater on full hot for circulation through the core.

We also had several old hands that swore by Coca-Cola. They'd dump in as much as the system would take, then leave it to idle for half an hour, then flush over and over with water.

We always followed up when filling with a can of Mac's 13.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i am not sure what to use yet, but been reading a lot online about Cascade dish washer soap, they say never use a dish soap as it foams to much, but dish washer detergent doesnt.
I have a jet pump with a hose in the creek here to water the garden, so water supply is a non issue, i was thinking i dont really see how Cascade could be that hard on the aluminum if i filled it, ran it for like a half hr. and flushed it in every direction possible for a good while, refill with plain water, run, re flush, repeat.
Still on the fence tho..

·
Registered
131 Posts
repaired a V6 engine in a Malibu that had oil pumping into the cooling system.
Cooling system is full of greasy crap and ****, anyone have any tips and or tricks to the best thing i could use to get this crap flushed out at home?
I plan on filling with water, running engine, draining it, a few times. Opening block drains, flushing every direction possible with a garden hose, but wondering if there is anything i could add that would cut/dissolve this crap more than just water.
Sounds like a GM 3.1 / 3.4/ 3.8 V6 DexCool leaking from bad intake gasket, head gasket, or both issues. We did our intake gasket twice, and each time we just ran water and radiator flush. Drove it for about 10 miles, drained, refilled, repeat....Don't forget to clean the plastic overflow tank also!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a GM 3.1 / 3.4/ 3.8 V6 DexCool leaking from bad intake gasket, head gasket, or both issues. We did our intake gasket twice, and each time we just ran water and radiator flush. Drove it for about 10 miles, drained, refilled, repeat....Don't forget to clean the plastic overflow tank also!!
yes.its a 3100 i did this repair on a 3.1. 40k later, still no leaks. I used Felpro severe duty head gaskets, and felpro intake sets. brake cleaner on areas that received silicone sealer. never had any problems.

This one had dexcrap in it, wont when i am finished .

·
Old Fix it Guy,Paramedic
63 Posts
It sure sounds like you have a blown head gasket or upper/lower intake. Oil in the water is not a good thing. The coolent eats up the gaskets. I just did my Son's 3.1 in his 2000 Mali-turd 6 months ago.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Union Carbide made a two-part flush that came in a paper 'can'. Open one end, dump contents into the radiator, run engine at idle for XX minutes. Stop engine and drain cooling system. Open the other end, dump in contents, and add water. Run at idle for XX minutes to neutralize the first stuff. Drain, fill with H2O, run for a while, drain. Add 1/2 system capacity in anti-freeze, top off with H2O. Work the bubbles out.
From memory, the 'can' looked like it was foil coated paper, but this is from a long time ago.
Cascade or ElectraSol, or other dishwasher powders do not seem to affect aluminum pots and pans when used in the dishwasher. I don't think it would affect an intake or radiator if it was not left in too long. Maybe some of the liquid dishwasher detergents would get mixed with the water faster than the powders. They pretty much all have similar chemical makeup.
tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts