My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what she wanted!

Now that mom and dad are retired, they have a little more time on their hands, so they wanted to start mowing again.

Mom asked if I could build her a "small, light mower" for a mother's day gift. I figured a little 19 inch D400 would be perfect for her.

Of course, everyone's a critic, but he learned to stay out of the way rather quickly.

My darling niece wanted to try, so I let her push on the "Katie Handle" just like I used to do with my father so many years ago.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Those are great pictures, I had to show my dad the picture of your dad saying "Hey, you missed a spot" He had to laugh at that. Great mother's day gift and great parents:thThumbsU

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cool story right there. My brothers Lawn Boy died on him about 5 years ago and he replaced it with one of the new Toro/Lawn Boys. He hates it. I thought for my next project I would find a nice little 19 go through it and give it to him for his B-Day in Oct. You made your parents day.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
"Katie Handle"?!

My father always told me is was the "Davie Handle"

:)

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Those pics are great and comical too! Your mom pushing, Dad is pointing, Mom frowning! I love it. Thanks for sharing! I'm donating my 7264 for my father to use at G ma's house this year. He needs a light, capable trimmer.

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the part they like most is that it comes with free repair, maintenance, and winterizing/spring start up service :)

·
LBAD Victim
1,005 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would share this info.

The mower is currently in my Grandfather's possession. Yard Nazi picked three of them up for me in December of 2016. THe three mowers were the 5269G (shown), an 8253 (parted) and a 1978 R7268 (my first official old lawn boy). I partially restored the 7268, and sold it so I could get my Promo. The 5269G went to my grandpa, and he loves it. Such a lightweight mower, and quite powerful for it's small size. It is awesome!

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would share this info.

The mower is currently in my Grandfather's possession. Yard Nazi picked three of them up for me in December of 2016. THe three mowers were the 5269G (shown), an 8253 (parted) and a 1978 R7268 (my first official old lawn boy). I partially restored the 7268, and sold it so I could get my Promo. The 5269G went to my grandpa, and he loves it. Such a lightweight mower, and quite powerful for it's small size. It is awesome!
Thank you for the update -- it's kind of fun to see that some of our mowers have a bit of a pedigree of sorts!

I'd like to thank photobucket for invalidating the whole picture story at the top. Nice going.

Attachments

·
LBAD Victim
1,005 Posts
Thank you for the update -- it's kind of fun to see that some of our mowers have a bit of a pedigree of sorts!

I'd like to thank photobucket for invalidating the whole picture story at the top. Nice going.
Yep, that's the one! He absolutely loves it. I currently need to put a new coil on it since it won't start (no spark), but it has been a truly awesome mower for the year I have had it. It will be going again in the spring. I promise not to let it go.

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, that's the one! He absolutely loves it. I currently need to put a new coil on it since it won't start (no spark), but it has been a truly awesome mower for the year I have had it. It will be going again in the spring. I promise not to let it go.
Thinking back a bit, that mower has a D400 engine which has points and capacitor. When I got the mower they were in bad shape. Before buying any new parts, take a peek under the flywheel and check the points gap as well as the air gap between the flywheel and magneto. I've found that a business card seems to work perfectly for the flywheel gap.

·
LBAD Victim
1,005 Posts
Thinking back a bit, that mower has a D400 engine which has points and capacitor. When I got the mower they were in bad shape. Before buying any new parts, take a peek under the flywheel and check the points gap as well as the air gap between the flywheel and magneto. I've found that a business card seems to work perfectly for the flywheel gap.
I'll check that. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts