My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little 318, 3 pt hitch and rust help needed.

I have got myself a used 3 pt hitch from a friends 318. He bought this 318 a few months ago and we are trading the hitch for a mower deck. I get the hitch. But there is no top link. So can anyone help me out on the size of the top link that I need? Also this 318 is so rusty, I think it was stored in a pond, at least everything back by the brakes. Some of the swivels on the 3 pt are rusted tight. Pins will not come out. I have had it soaking in Blaster for 3 days. Any better suggestions, ideas or hints?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 318 has a Cat 0 3pt hitch (5/8" holes.) Last I saw, the top link for those was a standard size. Most of them are adjustable from about 11" to about 16"

TSC and others have them from $20 to $30 or so.

Did I misunderstand the question?

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 318 has a Cat 0 3pt hitch (5/8" holes.) Last I saw, the top link for those was a standard size. Most of them are adjustable from about 11" to about 16"

TSC and others have them from $20 to $30 or so.

Did I misunderstand the question?
No, that is what I need. I'll be going to TSC soon.
But was your 318 ever as rusty as this one? The two I have don't show any rust to speak of. The left brake pedal will not hardly move.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine doesn't look as rusty as yours, but I did have to take the brake pedal assembly apart to grease the left pedal. The grease fitting is on the right pedal, the left doesn't have one. I finally had enough of having to pull the left pedal back with my heel. It works fine now. I expect that it will need the same treatment again next year.

No, that is what I need. I'll be going to TSC soon.
But was your 318 ever as rusty as this one? The two I have don't show any rust to speak of. The left brake pedal will not hardly move.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That things is rusty, PB Blaster and maybe heat with a torch and then some heavy persuasion. At least you don’t have to worry about ruining the paint. I wonder if that 318 was used for winter duty and all the salt got to it.

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
John,

The top link is in fact Cat 0. TSC has them in two different lenghts, Cat 0 & Cat 0 short.

You want the Cat 0 short with there item number 1000794.

Don't ask me how I know this !!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ron, I went to TSC and had to order it. Maybe in by next week this time. But I don't think I will have the rust cleaned up by then. Also bought some more PB Blaster.

·
Super Moderator
33,631 Posts
Looking at the picture I think you may want to buy stock in PB Blaster so you get the discount!!!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the picture I think you may want to buy stock in PB Blaster so you get the discount!!!
Good advice PA. But this is my neighbor's tractor and he is footing the bill. He bought it without a deck but it had a 3 pt. So I am trading a deck from my 318 H3 which has a FEL for the 3 pt. I have until spring time to get it together and ready to mow. So it will get as good as it gets in that time frame. But the garage sure smells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts