My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started some minor repairs on the 990 yesterday. first up...tire chains. it had a set on when i bought it but they were weak looking to me. so, while cleaning out a foreclosed home in Ohio i ran across a good beefy set. but not wanting to just throw away the old set, i added the cross chains to the new set making them 2 link. freebie #1

when i got my hands on this machine it had no lights. just a piece of white plastic behind the bezel. so i took off the bezel, wire wheeled it and hit it with some flat black to keep it from rusting and added a couple new stainless steel screws. gonna be white when im done. i may do some custom painting on it. lights...freebie #2...a new amp meter...freebie #3

next comes the dash. what a mess thing thing is. the previous owner should be fired from ever painting anything ever again.
wire wheeled and painted gloss black. pitted bad though. i think of something to cover.
got some cracked plastic underneath to deal with and i think the light switch is shot...no freebie...$13

i really want to tear the whole machine down but i dont really have a place to do it....no garage.:crybaby:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It's coming right along. You have to improvise on the garage. I built a motorcycle in the back of my van back when I first came in the military.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I've done a lot of work outside on my 66 Impala in a driveway when i didn't have a garage.
Keep up the good work. It's good to see that.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got a bit more done today. decided to paint the headlight bezel and the dash plate white. here are some before and after pics.
i think the nut head screws look much better than phillips head.

quick question, there is a hook on the side of the hood and when i put new rivets in it there was no way it would catch to stop the hood from going forward. it this supposed to be super loose so that it will catch?

front before

after

dash before

after

notice the 2 screws left of the throttle. plastic was cracked bad so i ran the screws metal to metal. very solid now.
i think the next thing i do is the hood and fenders...fire engine red. original color. then ill have to find or make some decals.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Looking good. Thanks for giving me some ideas for my 990's.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Cityboy . . .What does the pump run on the front of your tractor? Just wondering.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right now it doesnt run anything. but one day it will run a front bucket.
when i got this machine it came with a 2 spool valve, hoses, and reservoir. all i need is the steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts