My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law gave me a "John Deere" front basket for Christmas. Not an actual John Deere product, (although it could be!) but he painted it JD green and put John Deere decals on it. He has a gray colored one just like it for use with his 8N Ford. I sometimes use his basket, so he made me one. Great gift. Great brother-in-law. He made it from some scrap iron he has collected over many years.

It measures 47" wide, 41" long ' 27" deep. As you can see in the photos we use it for hauling firewood. I use pine for winter heating. Typically burning 5 ~ 6 cords per winter. Fully loaded I can tote ~ 1/4 cord of wood. It was fully loaded before I took the photo with wood in it. I meant to take photos before unloading, but forget. When I did remember I took the photos you see. It had about 0.2 cords of very wet Ponderosa and Lodgepole pine. Without my ballast box, I would not have be able to lift the load.

I have lots of lodgepole on my property. I keep cuttin' them down, and they keep growing. We also get dead trees from our neighbors since few of them burn wood for heating.

Any questions, just ask. Dan
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice job.

·
Super Moderator
29,977 Posts
Sure makes delivering to the 2nd floor fireplace a lot easier!! Very nice and he did a very nice job on building it too!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Real professional job, congratulations!

It must be just awful that wood "fuel" keeps growing up on your property.:cry: ...and neighbors keep gifting theirs to you!!:D

Great looking attachment. Agree, that could easily be a JD implement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked with my brother-in-law. We plan to begin cutting and stacking this week. We have about 20 cords already split, but there are a few more trees in the neighborhood! The basket will really help speed up hauling and storing wood for next winter. I hope to stack some for the following winter as well. I didn't do any stacking today, cause it's Sunday and too cold here in Central Oregon. After church I spent the afternoon creating scale drawings of historic rail cars. I am currently drawing the cabeese of the Sumpter Valley Railway.

I plan to add a couple short chains, one on each side near the top, to keep the basket latched to the pallet forks frame. I plan also to add a chain across the front for safety. I hope to put a grandson in the basket and lift him up to trim branches on our driveway center Ponderosa tree.

We want to get all our firewood into the woodshed for next winter soon so we can take the RV and do some travlin'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the frame is tubular steel with angle steel verticals struts. My brother in law's version is over 25 years old and never gotten bent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts