My Tractor Forum banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
According to the 73 and 74 manuals, mine has a set screw, and I can see it in the shaft. Ill be working on it tonight.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Probably the softest screw I've ever drilled. No wonder it was already snapped! Probably factory... Wont be installing another one, seeing as it doesn't really need it by the looks of the design. Fan is on order. It will be nice to have one less old plastic part to worry about. I know my next big problem will probably be the ancient hydraulic lines, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm too clueless with hydraulics to attempt it unless it doesn't work at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Good news that all went well with removing the set screw.
I had a fan blade broken off for a long time. It worked fine with only three.
Not to worry about the hydraulic hoses. Even if the outside cover is cracked or missing, they will still function and last a long time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
New fan is in, tractor's back together. Brought my tiller in and pulled the driveshaft off (way easier than I thought it'd be) and have gotten to the gasket. It seems MTD has taken all of their manuals for the 990 attachments offline, does anyone have a link to the tiller manual? I need to source a gasket and figure out how it all comes apart. Don't want to hurt anything. The driveshaft has a lot of up and down play, not sure what's wrong there aside from major wear, but it definitely needs a new gasket. I'd have pictures but my camera isn't working right now.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Looks like you are correct, the public domain search no longer works.

The model 197-987A is for the 990. Booklet 770-7179.
Google search for MTD 770-7179 or MTD 197-987A.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Thank you for the manual, appears the driveshaft seal is no longer available. Trying an experiment with some gasket making RTV to see if it will hold up, we'll see. Doubt it, but can't possibly leak any worse. There's no seal left.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
If it's a seal, you might try just measuring and cross-matching it. Motion Industries has locations across Canada and the US I believe, and they did that for me (I had a gearbox that Ariens only wants to sell as a complete unit, and only the seal had failed).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I will if this trick I'm doing doesn't work. I've seen this RTV do some crazy stuff with engines I've helped rebuild. If I can get the seal out and it doesn't work I'll be sure to give it a try. Thanks!
Edit: Turns out they do have a location near me, so I'll definitely give it a shot!

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)
How does the old one even come out? It looks pressed in, do I have to split the case and gut it just to replace it? At that point it's worth just filling it with grease...
Edit: cleared away a bunch of dirt and found out how it separates. The gasket is more than worn, it's blown out completely. Definitely in need of a new one, and I don't think the gears inside are very happy judging by the amount of brass paste. I'll hose it out good with some cleaner and flush it with oil a few times once it's back together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
It is pressed in. Drive a screw driver through the metal part and pry it out.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
So, as it turns out, there must be an early and late style tiller. One with a 7/8" shaft, and one with a 3/4". Both 1.5" OD. Got my seals in today and mine has the 3/4". Going to see if I can return them and order the correct one. I should've measured myself to double check first, but my measuring tape had disappeared in my shop until today. Motion industries was able to cross reference them with no problem, though! Thanks for all you guys' help.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Tiller is repaired, had this and my 960 at the Berryville, VA steam show recently. It's much smoother running now.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Happy you are having some fun with the tractors.
Do you have any photos of your tractors at the show? Would like to see them if you do.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Unfortunately the show was so busy I forgot to get any photos of my stuff, was too busy lookin at everyone elses!
Got my blade fully disassembled, and will be purchasing hardware and begin prepping for paint tomorrow. Going for a white frame, red blade, and black linkage. I think it'll look good when it's done.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Priming and some of the painting is done. Should be finished painting by mid day tomorrow and assembled by tomorrow night. People told me the paint I bought was cheap and wouldn't be good, but it appears the cheap paint yields a nicer finish than the expensive red paint. Strange. I'll have plenty left over for touchups over winter, too. I'm very pleased with how it's turning out so far. Can't wait to see it all assembled. For some reason the photos are upside down, but it doesnt make much of a difference. :00000061:

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
should put a new wear edge on it the endsare worn dwn looks like it has all ready been fliped
I noticed that myself, unfortunately don't have the money right now to buy the flat steel for it, so I'm working with what I have until then.

·
Registered
638 Posts
:tango_face_angel:When you connect the end of that long bar to the plate on the end of tran you need a spacer about 1-2 in long and a long bolt this will give you more of a lift for the front of the blade had the same setup on my 76 dayton

Attachments

201 - 220 of 257 Posts