Probably the softest screw I've ever drilled. No wonder it was already snapped! Probably factory... Wont be installing another one, seeing as it doesn't really need it by the looks of the design. Fan is on order. It will be nice to have one less old plastic part to worry about. I know my next big problem will probably be the ancient hydraulic lines, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm too clueless with hydraulics to attempt it unless it doesn't work at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Good news that all went well with removing the set screw.
I had a fan blade broken off for a long time. It worked fine with only three.
Not to worry about the hydraulic hoses. Even if the outside cover is cracked or missing, they will still function and last a long time.
New fan is in, tractor's back together. Brought my tiller in and pulled the driveshaft off (way easier than I thought it'd be) and have gotten to the gasket. It seems MTD has taken all of their manuals for the 990 attachments offline, does anyone have a link to the tiller manual? I need to source a gasket and figure out how it all comes apart. Don't want to hurt anything. The driveshaft has a lot of up and down play, not sure what's wrong there aside from major wear, but it definitely needs a new gasket. I'd have pictures but my camera isn't working right now.
Thank you for the manual, appears the driveshaft seal is no longer available. Trying an experiment with some gasket making RTV to see if it will hold up, we'll see. Doubt it, but can't possibly leak any worse. There's no seal left.
If it's a seal, you might try just measuring and cross-matching it. Motion Industries has locations across Canada and the US I believe, and they did that for me (I had a gearbox that Ariens only wants to sell as a complete unit, and only the seal had failed).
I will if this trick I'm doing doesn't work. I've seen this RTV do some crazy stuff with engines I've helped rebuild. If I can get the seal out and it doesn't work I'll be sure to give it a try. Thanks!
Edit: Turns out they do have a location near me, so I'll definitely give it a shot!
How does the old one even come out? It looks pressed in, do I have to split the case and gut it just to replace it? At that point it's worth just filling it with grease...
Edit: cleared away a bunch of dirt and found out how it separates. The gasket is more than worn, it's blown out completely. Definitely in need of a new one, and I don't think the gears inside are very happy judging by the amount of brass paste. I'll hose it out good with some cleaner and flush it with oil a few times once it's back together.
So, as it turns out, there must be an early and late style tiller. One with a 7/8" shaft, and one with a 3/4". Both 1.5" OD. Got my seals in today and mine has the 3/4". Going to see if I can return them and order the correct one. I should've measured myself to double check first, but my measuring tape had disappeared in my shop until today. Motion industries was able to cross reference them with no problem, though! Thanks for all you guys' help.
Unfortunately the show was so busy I forgot to get any photos of my stuff, was too busy lookin at everyone elses!
Got my blade fully disassembled, and will be purchasing hardware and begin prepping for paint tomorrow. Going for a white frame, red blade, and black linkage. I think it'll look good when it's done.
Priming and some of the painting is done. Should be finished painting by mid day tomorrow and assembled by tomorrow night. People told me the paint I bought was cheap and wouldn't be good, but it appears the cheap paint yields a nicer finish than the expensive red paint. Strange. I'll have plenty left over for touchups over winter, too. I'm very pleased with how it's turning out so far. Can't wait to see it all assembled. For some reason the photos are upside down, but it doesnt make much of a difference. :00000061:
:tango_face_angel:When you connect the end of that long bar to the plate on the end of tran you need a spacer about 1-2 in long and a long bolt this will give you more of a lift for the front of the blade had the same setup on my 76 dayton
so iv been looking on here for a while and not really seeing any information on the subject?? previously I had posted about the mower deck (size of belt and pullies ) I got all of that back together and thru the PTO lever and deck would not spin?? I could quickly tell the PTO belt was smoking...
Hey I tried to search this but to no avail! probably to basic but Im pretty sure Im having some plug issues and I want to replace the coil/plug wires ( only because they are corroded ) and I want to eliminate that as a possibility of my problem! It has the original Briggs & Stratton 422437 and...
I need the wire set up for this regulator has 4 terminals had it appart long time ago whenpu back not charging right needle kepp bouncing around trying to fi it now
new reg L B F and blank one on bottom old reg B G F and blank one on back
Steering is slipping. The geared plate on left has some play, causing the slip. Looks like I could shore it up by putting a washer or two between space in next pic.
The bugger of it is I am having a hard time figuring out how to remove this part. There is no nut on the end to remove. Seems like...