My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s my latest find. From looking up the serial number from the sticky it’s a 1982 model 446. It’s in non-running condition right now, but it looks like all the parts are in place. I was told it was sitting up for at least 10 years in this current state. I know absolutely nothing about case tractors but from reading the post here I knew I had to get one. They are somewhat of a rarity here in Florida (this is the only one I’ve ever seen) mostly Cubs and Deere’s are popular around here. The tins are straight but in dire need of a repaint. It won’t a complete tear down restore, just fix it up, paint it and put it to work.

·
16,490 Posts
Hello--Fla. Dave...
Good looking tractor--do you mind repeating the story of how you acclaimed this fine ride?:congrats:

Tks--
glenn

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello--Fla. Dave...
Good looking tractor--do you mind repeating the story of how you acclaimed this fine ride?:congrats:

Tks--
glenn
It was quite by accident, I was goofing around on ebay not really looking for anything in particular.”What the heck” I thought and typed in Case Tractor in the search and up it popped, 75 miles from my house. Put in my bid, out bid 2 other bidders :bannana: (I hope they weren’t MTF members:hide: ) and picked it up today. The seller got it as a trade for some work he did on there original owner's ford tractor.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
It looks to be in pretty fair condition for its age. I hope you find the engine problem to be minor--they often are. If it's been sitting that long, I'd shoot some oil into the cylinders and try turn the engine over by hand before trying to fire it up in case something is seized.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here’s the update…… $50.00 into the project now (thus far total investment $325.00).

Fixed the leak on right rear tire (plug a small hole and cleaned the bead). The engine turned over freely by hand (I applied copious amounts of oil into the cylinders first). New battery, battery cables, and cleaned other wiring connections. Turned the key and it spun over. I replaced plugs and plug wires, but no spark. I checked the coil which checked out O.K., checked the points and they were not opening at all. I then pulled the points and cleaned them up with the wife’s emery fingernail fine, re-installed points and set gap. It now has spark but wouldn’t run.

I did some research on MTF and found the timing marks (I had it way too advanced) retimed and dripped some gas down the carb. Turned the key and it fired right up. I haven’t checked the gas tank yet so I set up a remote tank and it ran for a bit and then the carb flooded out. I took off the top of the carb, cleaned out the bowl, needle and seat, reassembled and made some base line idle/mixture adjustments. I turned the key and it fired right up, but it only wants to run with the choke closed. I made some more carb adjustments and it will run with carb half open (YESSSS making progress :thThumbsU :bannana: ) I then ran out of daylight and called it a day.:trink40:

A couple of things I’ve noticed during the day’s endeavors. There’s a broken head bolt on the right cylinder head. And there is a lot of end play on the crankshaft. I haven’t measured the end play yet but just from observing it with the old MKII eyeballs it appears to be at least 1/8 inch or more of play.
In all I had it running for about 20 minutes, there was some smoke from the exhaust but that cleared up. I attribute this to the oil I sprayed into the cylinders. The engine has smooth acceleration and no really loud or unusual noises.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
You may have to remove the intake manifold. These engines have been known to have leaks in the manifold joints and the gaskets where it bolts on.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have to remove the intake manifold. These engines have been known to have leaks in the manifold joints and the gaskets where it bolts on.
Now that you mention it I found one of the intake bolts on the right cylinder was less than finger tight. I tightend it down and then forgot about it. It certainly could cause a lean run condition or vacuum leak.

·
Learning as I go along
273 Posts
FLA Dave;

I was looking for a new older GT tractor (project), and saw this one on e-bay too. I am about 75 mi to the west of where you got it. MY wife thought I had too many projects, so I passed. Sounds like you got it under control already. Nice Job. Look forward to seeing this one brought back to life.

By the way, I did manage to pick up a '79 PK about 40 mi from home the very next week. Like your Case, I don't see many of the older powerhouse type GT's around these parts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thanku: CGT-- the engine had a vacuum leak at the intake/head connection. I did acetylene/vacuum leak test which confirmed the leak location. I have the new gaskets installed, cleaned up the engine and repainted the engine tins. I have it back together enough to start it up and run it. I turned the key and it started right up. It runs strong and smooth. I’m quite amazed at how just some TLC and minor maintenance has gotten this thing running. I have just a few more items to check or clean and I should have it running around the yard this afternoon.

·
Learning as I go along
273 Posts
:wwp: Give us a look at it once you get it back in action.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve got the gas tank off and letting it dry out after I flushed all the crud out of it. I’ve just about run out of shade in my outside work shop. It’s close to 110 degrees out there right now. I should have it back together this evening.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
It looks pretty good and you got it at a decent price.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it moving under its own power about 1/2 hour ago. My 6 year old son thinks I did a great job on "his" tractor. I'll need to re-ring the engine sometime in the future. It smokes at WOT; at least I can use it to fog out some skeeters. I still have to re-install some muffler shields, the hood and other miscellaneous items. Photos will be forthcoming as progress continues.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
It's a good thing the tractor is not ready yet. 110 degrees is a little warm to be running an air-cooled engine with a air-cooled hydraulic system ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts