My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I started servicing my XT3 GS and had bought the maintenance kit part number as given on the Kohler website for my Cub's engine only to find the included air filter was too darn tall and the filter cover would not reattach. The part number on the oem filter was 47-083-03 and when I went to the Kohler website I found the following:

47 083 03-S​
ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER - Also available Retail Packaged 47 883 03-S1 Air Filter Kit

The Cub Cadet operator's manual also call for a KH-47-883-03-S1 which the parts manual describes as (Low) 2 7/16" tall filter so I said to self ok I'll check Amazon because the wife needs a few things then find this: Amazon.com : KOHLER 47 883 03-S1 Engine Air Filter With Pre-Cleaner Kit for CV17-CV23, CV724-CV740, CH18-25 and CH730-740 (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Lawn Mower Air Filters : Garden & Outdoor what, it's discontinued by the manufacturer!!!!!! Anyway I ordered a couple and hope they come. It takes a lot to get me upset but buddy that pi**ed me off big time.:mad:
I will also contact my Cub dealer and ask if there is a longer stud to go into the carb so I can use the 3" filter that came with the maintenance kit in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
You could just get a section of threaded rod, or if you have a tap & die set, just make your own...

·
2,039 Posts
^^^This, yep. (y) ?

...Although that's a pretty new machine isn't it? Did you double check with the dealer? Amazon/Amazon sellers have been known to get it wrong on occasion...

·
3,299 Posts
There are not many "good" hardware stores anymore...but if you have one near you do as dave_r suggested...either a long screw or piece of threaded rod ...I had to do it for a Briggs engine recently...it was a machine thread...just if you do it this way ...also buy a nut that will go on it...and screw it on before cutting to length so that you can screw it off and clean up the threads a little bit

·
Gravely1964
3,888 Posts
Hummm thats odd. I know I just did a tune up on one last week at work with the right filter. Granted we don't buy kits. Just grab air filter needed off shelf, plugs, oil, fuel filters. I'll check the number monday that I used

·
Registered
261 Posts
This(discontinued filter) topic was just discussed on a FB Forum (Matt Gonitzke) with many people, including people that sell the filters, noting that there are NO ISSUES obtaining these filters.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could just get a section of threaded rod, or if you have a tap & die set, just make your own...
Thanks dave, yeah there's always a fix.

^^^This, yep. (y) ?

...Although that's a pretty new machine isn't it? Did you double check with the dealer? Amazon/Amazon sellers have been known to get it wrong on occasion...
Thanks Kubota Ronin, it's a 2019 model ordered and bought May of last year; I will talk to the dealer and get his input he is a Cub and Kohler authorized dealer. Agree on the Amazon seller deal and googling the part number yields a lot of after market filters so worse case scenario could use those.

Hummm thats odd. I know I just did a tune up on one last week at work with the right filter. Granted we don't buy kits. Just grab air filter needed off shelf, plugs, oil, fuel filters. I'll check the number monday that I used
Thanks gravely1964 this was the first kit I have ever bought and figured going by Kohler's website and their engine application it should have been correct but they may be consolidating filters to reduce sku part numbers, dunno. I usually do as you and buy off the shelf filters and parts as needed but this threw me for a loop when I started trying to find a 2 7/16" low profile filter.
This(discontinued filter) topic was just discussed on a FB Forum (Matt Gonitzke) with many people, including people that sell the filters, noting that there are NO ISSUES obtaining these filters.
Thanks Joelk, I read that link and hopefully the filter I need will still be available in the future. If I do have to change maybe it won't take an act of congress to modify the carb to accept a taller one..lol.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mark,
There are not many "good" hardware stores anymore...but if you have one near you do as dave_r suggested...either a long screw or piece of threaded rod ...I had to do it for a Briggs engine recently...it was a machine thread...just if you do it this way ...also buy a nut that will go on it...and screw it on before cutting to length so that you can screw it off and clean up the threads a little bit
Thanks Mark, yeah will try that if this filter will no longer be available.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks dave, yeah there's always a fix.

Thanks Joelk, I read that link and hopefully the filter I need will still be available in the future. If I do have to change maybe it won't take an act of congress to modify the carb to accept a taller one..lol.
Not sure if XT3 filter setup is the same as Cub 3000 Series, but if it is, it is a very simple mod.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duh, I ordered the wrong kit, go figure. The engine on the XT3 says Command Pro so I automatically ordered # 24 789 02-S that Kohler states fits the Command Pro Kohler Engines Parts - engine parts for service, maintenance and repair. What I failed to check was the filter height "Includes air filter (7"W x2.9"H), foam pre-cleaner, fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, and two quarts Kohler 10W-30 oil". I should have ordered kit # 24 789 01-S for the standard Command Kohler Engines Parts - engine parts for service, maintenance and repair "Includes air filter (7"W x 2.6"H), foam pre-cleaner, fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, and two quarts Kohler 10W-30 oil.
Ok now I feel like a dufus for not doing my homework and knew better than just assuming....:rolleyes:
The low profile filter may become hard to get but as we discussed there will be options.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
See post # 9 by me. I looked at the parts lists and it appears that the XT3 and 3000 Series both use

KH-24-126-206-S Air Cleaner Bracket

and it is very easy to modify to use the filter you purchased. I wanted to use the larger filter on my engines with the expectation that the larger filter will filter longer before needing changed.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See post # 9 by me. I looked at the parts lists and it appears that the XT3 and 3000 Series both use

KH-24-126-206-S Air Cleaner Bracket

and it is very easy to modify to use the filter you purchased. I wanted to use the larger filter on my engines with the expectation that the larger filter will filter longer before needing changed.
Thanks a million Joelk, guesswork and problem solved.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
If it helps anyone in the future here are the part #s
0607181349.jpg

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Steve; yeah that low profile KH-47-883-03-S1 (ID 5-9/16-inch, OD: 7-inch, 2-7/16-inch height) air filter is the one in question as to whether it's being discontinued or not. The air filter that came in the Kohler Command Pro maint. kit I bought was 3" tall whereas the filter that supposedly comes in the reg. Command Twin kit is 2 7/16" tall which is what came on my XT3. Anyway changing out the air cleaner bracket will solve the issue if the low pro filter is in fact being discontinued.(y)

·
16,322 Posts
Seems like lately on a lot of parts there s a super-seeded number/design change/recall or something else designed to make the end user's life miserable.
My .02 worth....(n)(n)
glenn

·
Gravely1964
3,888 Posts
Did remember to look at the work order today. It was the koh 47 883 03 -s1 being the current number anyhow. IDK about future discontinued stuff till it happens. Me and the others grease monkey joke is, were dumb mechanics that put parts to together and makes it work. Hunting for parts can be frustrating. Especially if they update part A, but when you get it part B needs updated too to work with A. It can snow ball quick.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did remember to look at the work order today. It was the koh 47 883 03 -s1 being the current number anyhow. IDK about future discontinued stuff till it happens. Me and the others grease monkey joke is, were dumb mechanics that put parts to together and makes it work. Hunting for parts can be frustrating. Especially if they update part A, but when you get it part B needs updated too to work with A. It can snow ball quick.
Thanks gravely1964, you are so correct with the snowball effect nowadays. I did order 2 of the "supposedly" correct filters from Amazon so they will get me thru this and next summer. I will also order the bracket joelk listed because it's a cheap fix to use the spare 3" tall filter I have now and eventually convert to that size unless Kohler decides to discontinue it.....lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will also order the bracket joelk listed because it's a cheap fix to use the spare 3" tall filter I have now and eventually convert to that size unless Kohler decides to discontinue it.....lol.
Just to be clear about the bracket that I posted about. I was pointing out that the same bracket is used on both the XT3s and the 3000 series W/Kohler Engines.

The bracket WILL REQUIRE MODIFICATION to work with the taller filter, but it is a quick and easy modification.

No NEED to order a new bracket, you can modify the one that it is currently on your engine.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to be clear about the bracket that I posted about. I was pointing out that the same bracket is used on both the XT3s and the 3000 series W/Kohler Engines.

The bracket WILL REQUIRE MODIFICATION to work with the taller filter, but it is a quick and easy modification.

No NEED to order a new bracket, you can modify the one that it is currently on your engine.
Oh ok I misunderstood, thanks for clearing that up.(y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts