My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I get a call from my cousin earlier this past week saying that he's heard I'm looking for a car. He says hes got a 1978 Ford ltd and if I can get it started I can have it cause its been sitting for about ten years. I tell him alright, I'll be up there tomorrow and I'll have her running in ten minutes provided she isnt seized.

I didnt know what to expect...and i forgot my camera, but we pulled up to the house and theres this old what-used-to-be-white coupe hiding half the house. (singlewide trailer)

The outside looked like pure crap...but the interior was spotless. It made me want to cry. Its too nice. I threw a battery in it that I brought from my truck and primed the carb with gas. Turned the key and...battery connection issues. So after fixing that and giving her one pump of the pedal, she started right up! I couldnt believe it. Every single one of our mouths were open. Mine, my friends, his girlfriend, my aunt, and most importantly my cousin. It started like it was running earlier that day!

Ran home and got the compressor, more gas and a trailer. Aired up the tires and drove it onto the trailer. Is that amazing or what?

Shes a 1978 Ford LTD Landau with a 400cid v8.

Needs the carb mixture leaned out and I'll be patching the gastank via instructions from Dave of davidsfarm on youtube.

Got all the tree stuff off using Fast Orange hand cleaner. I hand to hand wash every single inch of this car. But its worth it. I love it.

Heres some pics and a link to a video I made earlier.

For the record, thats not me in the picture...its my friend who owned the trailer. Thanks jameson.

Attachments

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Oh yeah, she's a keeper! We have a 1984 LTD here but I really like the mid, late 70's ones, nice big cars with nice big engines. A dang good deal on your part! :trink40:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
She sure cleaned up well. Looks good.

I have a 1978 F-150 with that 400 in it. I swear that engine has enough torque to pull a dozer.

You will like that engine.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
NICE!!! Thise are killer cars. REAL nice ride, and tough as nails!! Hard to see realy, but does it have much rot???
Tough? Its a friggin tank. lol I missed a turn in my moms 84 Olds Delta 88...went through a ditch and then destroyed 2, 2 foot high brick walls lining a neighbors driveway. Not a scratch on the car. lol If an 84 is that tough...lol I'm invincible. Also saw on youtube, Dave of Davesfarm destroyed a civic with a 76 lincoln and the lincoln was basically unscathed...just broke the grill was all, and he hit it at like at least 25mph. Then hit it at 35 and the front end got screwed up but still drove alright.

About the rust... amazingly theres not as much as youd think. My 85 Dodge has worse. The trunk is a little thin and the floor pans could use a little preventative maintenance, but the worst rust on there that I know of is right there behind the drivers side door below that one window, and the bottom corner of the drivers door. I'm sorta scared about what I find when I replace that vinyl top. Lots of bubbles under there. Main rust problem is the gas tank though. Getting a new one this week!

dj2cohen: I loved it from the moment I first turned the key and she started right up after sitting for 10 years. I read that its got ~160hp and ~314 ft-lbs of torque. So far I haven't been able to try it out cause when I open her up she dies...I have to play with the pedal to get her up past 20mph. Thinking shes running way too rich. Or clogged fuel filter...dont really know but I'm replacing the filter when I replace the tank.

Croc: I know it was a good deal! I love having my abilities underestimated cause Im only 19. My cousin really didnt think I'd get it started. He hasnt seen her all cleaned up but he was putting his foot in his mouth as I drove her up the trailer. Gotta thank him though for not going back on his word. He really is a nice guy.

D-Dogg and tinkertoys: thanks guys. I was looking for a car that all my female friends would appreciate and that I'd like...and wow...lol. First night I had her home, still dirty, but had the radio going...one of them was over helping me clean her up and a song came on the radio and dancing ensued. lol. Looked at the car and was like...yup, your a keeper. hahaha. seriously though...I do love it. Its a perfect example of classic american luxury.

Since the original owners name was louise...thats the cars name. But its nickname is the "great white whale". lol

Yall know what was really creepy...The first time I turned the radio on, oldies came playing out of the speakers. You know, like in the movie Christine? It creeped me out real bad, but it was cool at the same time.

I'll take pics of the rust tomorrow while we remove the gas tank. Then after I get the new tank, I'll tune the carb.

Future plans involve...
-New exhaust. no cats. thinking straight pipe or side pipes..something along those lines. but its got to have duels. Gotta let that 400 breath lol
-Possible air horn, the horn on there is just too wimpy. my air horn would be hidden behind the grill with the tank in the trunk.
-Definitely get the chrome on the bumpers fixed our get new ones.
-Also, move the CB from the truck over to the car. Already have the antenna sitting on the trunk lid and it looks pretty nice.
-Rust will be fixed...slowly but surely. Then bottom will be rhino-lined.
-replace gas tank.

Those aint in order...at all. lol

Oh yeah...found some little blue lights in the truck...any ideas what I should do with em? pics later today.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
"Future plans involve...
-New exhaust. no cats. thinking straight pipe or side pipes..something along those lines. but its got to have duels. Gotta let that 400 breath lol
-Possible air horn, the horn on there is just too wimpy. my air horn would be hidden behind the grill with the tank in the trunk.
-Definitely get the chrome on the bumpers fixed our get new ones.
-Also, move the CB from the truck over to the car. Already have the antenna sitting on the trunk lid and it looks pretty nice.
-Rust will be fixed...slowly but surely. Then bottom will be rhino-lined.
-replace gas tank."

Sounds great, specially the exhaust part. A nice duel exhaust with out them dang cats sounds good to me, when those things clog they do more bad then good compared to not having cats in the first place. 19 huh? I'm going to be 19 next month, small world huh? :ROF

·
Super Moderator
31,834 Posts
Sounds like crud in the carb. Should have the 2bbl autolite, or Motorcraft on there. EASY carb to clean!! I have dont some many I can do them in my sleep.

As for waking that up.... Thise years used REAL flat cams!!! I tell ya... a mild truck cam, intake/carb, and a free flowing exoust will make that a whole new car!!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Car looks good. Truely a diamond in the rough. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
292 Posts
you can wake it up alot by getting a 4bbl carb and new intake headers dual exhaust and if ya want loud get flowmaster mufflers they will last almost forever i got a set that was used when i got em and theyve been on my old dodge for 8 years still look new and as said before get a mild cam something like a comp cams 266h or 268h the 268 will give it just a little lope very mild but tons of power and great sound nice find

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Looks like a great find

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds great, specially the exhaust part. A nice duel exhaust with out them dang cats sounds good to me, when those things clog they do more bad then good compared to not having cats in the first place. 19 huh? I'm going to be 19 next month, small world huh? :ROF
Yeah I know...and since I live in Person county...we dont have emission checks or whatever. Plus...its considered antique and it doesnt need to be inspected. SWEET! 'tis a small world indeed...my ex fell in love with a friend of mine back in florida...so yeah... definitely a small world.

Sounds like crud in the carb. Should have the 2bbl autolite, or Motorcraft on there. EASY carb to clean!! I have dont some many I can do them in my sleep.

As for waking that up.... Thise years used REAL flat cams!!! I tell ya... a mild truck cam, intake/carb, and a free flowing exoust will make that a whole new car!!!
yessir...2bbl motorcraft. My 87 tercel that I got 6 days later also had the same problem, but after running it off the bottle for a while, she cleared right up. After I swap out hte gastank in the LTD, I'll do the same. Easy eh? Sweet. I like the sound of that. A mild truck cam, intake, carb, and exhaust. (writes that down) Gotcha. What about a real nice lumpy cam? lol Thatd be funny. Luxury car pulls up sounding like a muscle car.

you can wake it up alot by getting a 4bbl carb and new intake headers dual exhaust and if ya want loud get flowmaster mufflers they will last almost forever i got a set that was used when i got em and theyve been on my old dodge for 8 years still look new and as said before get a mild cam something like a comp cams 266h or 268h the 268 will give it just a little lope very mild but tons of power and great sound nice find
oh a 4bbl is a big possibility in the future. dual exhaust will come sooner though. Love to add headers...but I'm not sure if I have the room. Flowmasters...ehhh...I like to be different. Everyones got flowmasters on their truck or car up here. I'm throwing a set of cherrybomb extremes under my Ramcharger when I get the cash. Thanks for the cam models. I had no Idea where to begin when looking for those.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm currently swapping out fuel tanks as the old stock one rusted out. Anyone know where to get a fuel level sending unit/pickup tube? The stock one broke the filter off.

Also...any idea how much this beast weighs? I dont have any stickers on the doors.

·
Super Moderator
31,834 Posts
Try Ford for the sending unit. I got one for my 72 LTD about 5 years ago, and they were still in stock!!

As for the rumpy cam.... Dont do it!! It will be a PIG!! You got too much a$$ in that car, and with the highway gears it will have, and how the trans/converter are setup on them, you will have a bogging, guttless pig!! Big cams like low gears, loose tourque converters, tight shifts, and light weight. Plus the 400's are a low RPM motor. All a big cam will do is move the power band up to a point where the rest of the engine is maxed out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try Ford for the sending unit. I got one for my 72 LTD about 5 years ago, and they were still in stock!!

As for the rumpy cam.... Dont do it!! It will be a PIG!! You got too much a$$ in that car, and with the highway gears it will have, and how the trans/converter are setup on them, you will have a bogging, guttless pig!! Big cams like low gears, loose tourque converters, tight shifts, and light weight. Plus the 400's are a low RPM motor. All a big cam will do is move the power band up to a point where the rest of the engine is maxed out.
Thanks Ing. Sucks that the ford dealership in town closed down. I guess I'll call one of the 500 in Durham and see what they got.

Thanks for the education on those rumpy cams. Didnt know that that was how to powerband was effected. Shoulda guessed that though...lol. I'm used to fixing them...not building them.

I remember you sugesting a mild truck cam...and that reminded me about something to do with my truck. I was told on a Dodge forum, that if I wanted more torque from my 318, that the best bet would be to find an RV with a 318 in it and take the cam from that. Could I esentially do the same with this ford? Find an RV or a 400 from an RV and take the cam from that? Would it have more torque than a truck cam?

I think it would be easier to find a truck cam around here cause I know several people who have 400s in their trucks. And there are plenty of old fords around here.

·
Super Moderator
31,834 Posts
No... the stock ford truck cam, wile low RPM is not the best, and frankly its probably the same you have. Also some of the OE chain sets set the cam retarded a few degrees also, what made them eaven MORE dogy!!!

After mark is the trick. There not that much money realy. Summit racing sells there own store brand cams for pretty cheap. or a place called PAW does also.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I wouldn't think about the cam while you are talking patching the tank!

Every project car of mine got the brakes redone first. I don't mean pads, I mean all hard and rubber lines, new wheel cylinders, Master cylinder and all new fuel hoses (including that original one you will be messing with removing the tank and replacing it) and filter before you think about rebuilding the carb.

Yeah, it isn't cheap at all, but if you don't stop, or burn up, your project won't last very long.
I used to drive a 1960 edsel 2 dr with 6 cylinder 3 speed I got for $250. Looked like death warmed over but It stopped & steered like new because that's the first things I did before buying a license for it.

Sure made a lot of trips to the auto parts stores.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again Ingersoll about the cams.

I wouldn't think about the cam while you are talking patching the tank!

Every project car of mine got the brakes redone first. I don't mean pads, I mean all hard and rubber lines, new wheel cylinders, Master cylinder and all new fuel hoses (including that original one you will be messing with removing the tank and replacing it) and filter before you think about rebuilding the carb.

Yeah, it isn't cheap at all, but if you don't stop, or burn up, your project won't last very long.
I used to drive a 1960 edsel 2 dr with 6 cylinder 3 speed I got for $250. Looked like death warmed over but It stopped & steered like new because that's the first things I did before buying a license for it.

Sure made a lot of trips to the auto parts stores.
lol. I like to get a recipe together.

Well...in 1998 my cousin re-did all the brakes on the car by himself, i mean everything. New wheel cylinders and lines and proportioning valve, everything. The master cylinder might need attention....it looks like it. But all brake lines are still brand new looking, wheel cylinders look great. The sending unit/pickup tube in the tank is being sent to a place in new york to be rebuilt. while thats away Im turning my attention to the parking brake which doesnt engage.

tinkertoys: I might need another one anyway cause it leaks...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts