My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We buried my Uncle Joe this past weekend. He was 74 and had managed to get every last moment out of his body until his heart gave out at the end.

Joe loved Gravely Tractors. Some of my earliest memories of Joe were of him mowing grass with his big yellow Commercial 12 with a 50 inch deck out front. As a boy I knew that someday when I was tough enough to mow with the Commercial 12, I would be on my way to becoming a man. Joe’s love of Gravely Tractors was extensive. He owned and used several of them over the years, from L models, Commercial 12, 430, 450, 812, 816, and finally a G16 with 60 inch deck. Many of these he still owned. But his favorite tractor was his Commercial 12 that he bought new from the dealer. He told me he loved the tractor on first sight. It was a workhorse his entire life. That is how I caught the Gravely bug, and its’ contagious, because my son Joe now has the bug too.

Uncle Joe really liked going to the swap meets, and at the end of his years, I would bring him along… with his walker and a chair. Even when he couldn’t get around, he would go to sit and watch the tractors parade by. Joe made it to the last Mow-in in Brownsville, PA. You may have seen him sitting in the corner of the building watching the show and talking with friends.

His favorite things in life were Mack Trucks, Letter Series Chrysler 300s, and Gravely Tractors. And his final request was “Don’t haul me to the graveyard in a Cadillac.” So we drove him there in a 250 Dodge. Though, we could have used a Gravely Tractor to get him up the hill.

I now have Uncle Joe’s Comm 12 in my shop where it will work for another generation.

Uncle Joe, RIP

Sadly,
Tom

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I sure know I will allways remember him.
I talked to him at some of the tractor shows.
Good old tractors and a Great old guy...

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
Tom,

All the best to your family at this sad time. I did not know him, but I feel I know you well enough to say I'm sure he was a man of high charactor like yourself.

Take care,

Sheldon

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a guy . I'm sure he will be missed by many people who knew him.

Sorry for your loss,

Marlboro

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I believe I talked to him at Brownsville. That is where your first picture is from. As your last picture shows a folded US flag, I assume he was also a vet, maybe post-Korean War, Vietnam era? Sorry for your loss. With luck, maybe the cemetery uses a Gravely for mowing.

·
2 decades of Gravely use
52 Posts
Thats a great story, about a great man and his love for a great tractor.

may he RIP and his tractors ROF

(roll on forever)

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
I know Joe. I remember him cruising around Antram's. He would move a little ways down the line, stop, rest up, BS a little, then move on. He'll be missed.

Was that his grandson selling the juice boxes?

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know Joe. I remember him cruising around Antram's. He would move a little ways down the line, stop, rest up, BS a little, then move on. He'll be missed.

Was that his grandson selling the juice boxes?
Big Joe is my Uncle. Little Joe is my son and his nephew. I'll the guy in the denim vest.

Tom

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I talked to him at Brownsville. That is where your first picture is from. As your last picture shows a folded US flag, I assume he was also a vet, maybe post-Korean War, Vietnam era? Sorry for your loss. With luck, maybe the cemetery uses a Gravely for mowing.
Uncle Joe was in the US Navy in the 1950's as an engine-man below deck. He had many great stories from his years on ships. He was a very good mechanic.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry for your loss - It sounds like he had a great full life and has a family that loves him and understands his passions in life.

I'm sure it brings him a lot of pride and a feeling of peace that his relatives share his interests and that his machines will be in good hands and kept running for many years.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. You wrote a wonderful tribute about someone who will be missed dearly by his family and friends. I think all of us would be very satisfied if we lived our life in such a way that someone would write that well of us after we are gone.

·
Registered
795 Posts
God bless him and his family. Lots of Gravely knowledge goes away when we lose a man with such a fondness for Gravelys. Crazy Vet.

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
My condolences for your loss. Joe sounds like a really great guy. I didn't know him, but I would have liked to.

I think he'd be very happy to see how you're remembering him, and sharing his memory with the rest of us.

Rest in peace, Joe!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for your loss, another great man leaves this world.

I love the fact his hearse was an old Dodge pickup; he must have been a man of the earth :fing32:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts