My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a crazy idea that worked well and I thought I would share:

I have always been a person who has tried to get the most out of any storage space I have. So, I have been hanging various attachments (aerator, sweeper, mower decks, etc...) on the walls of my shop for years. They are mostly two person jobs, (and I rarely have another strong person around to help). I use to use a cherry picker - but that was really hard as I could not get close enough to the walls with the legs down.

This year when at Northern Tool, I picked up a 2000 lbs ATV winch on sale because I thought it might come in handy someday. Boy was I ever right about that. A couple weeks ago I had a crazy idea to use the winch to hang and remove things from my shop walls and attic.

I mounted the winch to my JB Sr that was hooked to my JD 318. Mounted a scrap piece of heavy angle iron to the ceiling with some big lag bolts, mounted a small pulley on the angle iron and WOW, did it work great! Here a couple pictures.

Starting with my aerator on the wall:

winch 1.jpg

After taking it down:

winch 2.jpg

It was so slick, easier, and safer. Now, I can mount a couple other peices of angle iron in key place and I am set.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,353 Posts
It's all about the attachments huh?? :thThumbsU

Nice warehouse... er- shop you have there!! I bet that heater throws off enough heat to keep things mighty comfy in the winter! My dad had one just like it in both shops. I kinda have the same storage issues and installed shelves and hangers all over the barn to keep things off the floor and out of the way.. As I had a lot of time off in recent years I had a lot of time to set things up and rearrange to get things where they needed to be for me to be able to minimize trips to the toolboxes..

Here's page 15 of a Tractor Shed thread.. (There are many great pictures of other member's shops..) Feel free to add yours! http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=92745&page=15

Whooops! I see you are already in that thread with your shop pictures!! :sorry1: (I'll leave the reference in for other folks to enjoy though..):fing32:

·
-
1,829 Posts
Neat idea, is that a Patio deck I spy on the wall?

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
-
1,829 Posts
I'm planning on building a shed for the purpose of getting the lawn/garden stuff out of the garage.

I'm going to give some thought to your solution while I'm figuring out where/how everything goes in there. It would be nice to get it off the floor.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
mines all in the basement lol

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it just me, are is the wall moving in a little, all in all nice job:thThumbsU
No, the walls are not moving, must be the picture. Thanks.

·
YouTube ZippoVarga
7 Posts
I purchased a 2500lb winch off CL for $20.00 a couple years ago and it's been a real back saver. Now, thanks to this thread, I have yet another practical use for the winch. Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
157 Posts
esnb74 --- Good idea and I really like your heaters, however my walls are already hung full of smaller tools etc, but it's funny that PigBear mentions patio deck, as below;

Neat idea, is that a Patio deck I spy on the wall?
Not trying to steal your thread but just expand on it.
I store my patio furniture plus lumber, etc, and more etc up in the open trusses of my garage basically by the same system you have. I have pulleys with ropes up in the rafters to pull the stuff up, then slide 2x4's across the stringers under it, to keep it off my head.
Have even been thinking about mounting my table saw, planer, shaper and belt/disc sander on a 3x8 ft steel framed table I have, then setting up a winch like you did to pull it all up into the rafters out of the way but still easily accessible when they're needed.
I'd post a photo but I'm in Fla right now.
Smiley

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Uhhh, those ARE into the rafters, right?
Of course. My loft area is also covered with plywood on the bottom and I have over 40' of shelves up there too. I have hatches that open to put big (but lighter) stuff up there. I keep my patio table and chairs up there in the winter.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey, those olds wheels for sale ? (don't you just love us lookie loo's)
Maybe, if the price was right. I haven't brought myself to sell them yet. They may go on pick-up someday. They came off my 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme that I had in HS.

·
John Deere 445
295 Posts
I store my patio furniture plus lumber, etc, and more etc up in the open trusses of my garage basically by the same system you have. I have pulleys with ropes up in the rafters to pull the stuff up, then slide 2x4's across the stringers under it, to keep it off my head.
Have even been thinking about mounting my table saw, planer, shaper and belt/disc sander on a 3x8 ft steel framed table I have, then setting up a winch like you did to pull it all up into the rafters out of the way but still easily accessible when they're needed.
Smiley
Just a quick suggestion for anyone using a roof support system for storage:

You might want to make an effort not to overload any single points on a truss, or even a rafter or ceiling joist. While many structural members are capable of carrying more than their design loads because of built-in safety factors, I've seen or read about more than a few roof systems collapsing under heavy snow loads because of all the additional "stuff" the members were overloaded with before the storm hit. Concentrated point loads on a truss, in particular, can be problematic, as the trusses were only designed to resist uniform vertical loads.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So true. I am really careful not to put heavy stuff up there and what I do have is spread out. My shelves are actually built and secured to three points of the truss ever 2feet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice idea. Most of my heavy "toys" ( wife's terminology) are at or near ground level gravity being what it is. I'm guessing the wall structure is pretty solid too behind that Aspenite OSB. The next step would be to get some heavy duty barn door track and run it across the ceiling and have the winch on a couple of roller door hangers. The heavy duty ones are usually good for 250Lbs. a piece.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That looks real nice. Good job. I have a New Holland 1620 that I have a soft cab on. I installed 4 small eyebolts on the top and use a crank winch to hoist it up between the rafters of my barn in spring when I take it off. However it takes 2 people to guide it going on and comming off the tractor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts