My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a possible solution to an age old problem (how do I keep rodents out of my equipment ?) as discussed in an earlier thread.

I seemed like there were as many ways to stop mice as there are stars but I thought I would give my take on this.

The method here is to take the old fashioned moth balls which many have said work well and put it to the test and it seems to work, thanks to all the members who gave their tips on how to keep mice out.

Ok to start I needed some way to keep them (mothballs) from scattering al over the place so I looked around and found these old canister style air fresheners that my Fiancée had been putting around the house (they smell good also) thats she buys at the dollar store.

Once the gel scent part of it is used up I just pulled the dried out gel (it turns into a solid cake) out and washed them in soapy water to get them clean an added bonus is the labels come right off this was if you want.

As you can see it has a vented top which screws on making it easier to refill and allows the gas from the mothballs to escape.

Now on to the modifications.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Good idea... I use old socks.. YES i wash em then i toss in a hand full of moth balls and then you can hang them from things...

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres how I did it and why, not rocket science but there is logic in the mayhem.

I marked out 4 places to drill 2 vertical and 2 horizontal to allow mounting in most situations, I chose the vertical mounting because it just worked well for my van.

Drill the 4 holes using a 13/64" bit for a cable tie and feed it thru the hole and back out so it can be mounted to a cross member or in my case an AC line.

The size of zip tie doesn't matter as long as it supports the weight of the can,
I chose this size because it's the most common.

Then fill it with mothballs or moth cakes which ever you like (it may even work with the flake kind ?) it will hold about 10oz of mothballs or 3 moth cakes.

Screw the lid on and mount it under the hood in any convenient place you like.

Attachments

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see they don't fall out or roll around at all, and so far it's kept the critters at bay for about a month.

And when the time come to reload it just unscrew the top and fill.

Sorry it took so long to post this but I wanted to be sure it kept the mice out before I posted it and it works so for no wires chewed or dead ones in the engine compartment which used to be 3 or 4 a week.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I put these on both cars and my tractor and they are mouse free.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
moth balls don,t work.I had a mouse move in to my 1050 engine.evicted her to times.moth balls by the box.the last time her and kids moved out the hard way.when I started the trac she and all the little ones came flying out by the fly wheel.needless to say doa.I don,t know any way. other than to kill them.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I should qualifiy that by saying she was ready to have babys.that might have kept her so focused on moving back in.now she doesn,t have those worrys anymore.so maybe mothballs work in some situations.I still have the mothballs scattered around.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Decon...Or a fact-simile

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Ive seen mice destroy car interiors that had mothballs in them.I really need to find something that works :banghead3

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with moth balls. I think the trick is they have to pretty much saturate the air with that smell where ever you put them. I put some in an open coffee can and leave it in my boat under the cover. I haven't had mice in there since I started doing this.
Every time the subject of mice comes up someone says D-con or sticky traps or other nonsense. My .02 The old fashioned mousetrap works great if you put peanut butter on the lever. Get's them every time. Sticky traps are just plain dumb and a horrible mess to deal with to say nothing of the fun of a stuck screamming mouse that has to be dealt with. D-con and other poisons usually don't kill mice quickly. They eat it then climb into some place where it is not possible to find or get to them then they die. This leaves you with the fun of a dead STINKING mouse inside a wall or under a cupboard somewhere for weeks on end. Everytime I tell this to someone they call BS on it. And then a few weeks later come back and say"I'll never do that again. Never did find that STINKING thing"!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've had peanut butter licked off of standard spring loaded traps. While they can make a mess, I find glue traps to be the most effective. Put one peanut in the center and soon you'll have a mouse stuck to it. If you check them regularly you may have to squash one to finish it off, but no big deal. At least you know where it is.

A friend showed me a little contraption he made out of a mop bucket. It had a wire strung across the top with a pop/beer can on it. The wire went through the top and bottom of the can suspending it over the bucket. Then he setup a small piece of wood as a ramp, propped into the spout portion of the top edge of the bucket. He then filled the bucket about 3/4 of the way with water/antifreeze and smeared some peanut butter onto the can. The idea was they walk up the ramp, try to get the bait, and when they do the can spins making the mouse fall into the bucket. Shortly thereafter they drown and the trap can still continue to work on the next mouse. Obviously not something to keep around kids/pets given the toxicity of the antifreeze but, if you're in a warm climate, or just in the summer you can just use water.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had pretty good luck with moth balls. I think the trick is they have to pretty much saturate the air with that smell where ever you put them. I put some in an open coffee can and leave it in my boat under the cover. I haven't had mice in there since I started doing this.
Every time the subject of mice comes up someone says D-con or sticky traps or other nonsense. My .02 The old fashioned mousetrap works great if you put peanut butter on the lever. Get's them every time. Sticky traps are just plain dumb and a horrible mess to deal with to say nothing of the fun of a stuck screamming mouse that has to be dealt with. D-con and other poisons usually don't kill mice quickly. They eat it then climb into some place where it is not possible to find or get to them then they die. This leaves you with the fun of a dead STINKING mouse inside a wall or under a cupboard somewhere for weeks on end. Everytime I tell this to someone they call BS on it. And then a few weeks later come back and say"I'll never do that again. Never did find that STINKING thing"!
You make some good points Squatch and I think you are right about the concentration of gas from the mothballs being in a confined space like under the hood.

And folks as I said this wasn't the ultimate solution but Just something I thought I would try and see if it would work and it seems to be so far ?

We shall see how long it keeps them away, if you think it may work for your situation then great if not guess we will have to build that patented super heat seeking, laser tracking, anti mouse minigun, at 2.500 rounds per minute that should take care of them and anything else in a 1000 yard radius.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I put Irish Spring bar soap in my holiday trailer.. shred it up and leave it in a bowl thats open.. I sure prefer that smell to moth balls.. no mice in the trailer in five years...

·
Registered
913 Posts
A good old fashion mouse trap works great with peanut butter on it. BUT instead of applying the butter on the top of the metal strip, put it underneath the strip. The victum manages to eat most from underneath once or twice but when he finally has to get really underneath there is no coming back for another feeding. This summer we managed to rid the homestead of over a dozen doing this process. Just checked the trap this week and nobody has been by for a meal.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
yes good old Irish spring keeps mice deer rats and even some people are adverse to the Irish spring and water.but I,m surely gunna try it.anything smells better than moth balls.thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I put Irish Spring bar soap in my holiday trailer.. shred it up and leave it in a bowl thats open.. I sure prefer that smell to moth balls.. no mice in the trailer in five years...
Now I know why the wife gave me a different brand of soap for my birthday.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
i tried this, and it does work well!! Pick a very strong odor sopa, and leave it in an open package or shave pieces of it up and leave several yogurt container lids with the shavings in them all over whatever your trying to evict them from.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts