My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My other green is JD
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with the a/c...

I can set the thermostat at 72 degrees or so and have no problem...

When I set it to a warmer temp, say 78, the compressor won't kick in (even when the inside temp is 80+ degrees), just the inside fan and the condenser fan?

What gives? Faulty thermostat? It's a digital type Honeywell

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
If it's a digital replace it. If it's one of the old "Round One's" as they are known in the trade just pull the outer ring cover off and clean the accumulated dust and fuzz off the spring. Work gently.

Chances are this will cure it.

Mike

·
My other green is JD
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a digital replace it. If it's one of the old "Round One's" as they are known in the trade just pull the outer ring cover off and clean the accumulated dust and fuzz off the spring. Work gently.

Chances are this will cure it.

Mike
I'll replace it and see what happens....I still don't understand why it will kick the fan on and not the compressor? Are these seperate circuits? I would think if the fan is running the compressor should too??

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Depends on how the system is set up. Without being able to look at it or the wiring diagram I really can't give you a good answer. I'm guessing it's a digital with that kind of problem as it's rare for the mechanical ones to do what yours is doing. Some times there are tricky things done with the wiring by the company or installer.

Mike

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
You mentioned it's bringing on the condensor fan by that are you meaning the fan on the outdoor unit? If it's running then the compressor should be on.

·
My other green is JD
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mentioned it's bringing on the condensor fan by that are you meaning the fan on the outdoor unit? If it's running then the compressor should be on.
That's exactly what's going on....the fan IS running in the outside unit, but the compressor is not. I can go in and turn the thermostat to "systems off" wait a few minutes, then turn back to "cool" and lower the thermostat to 72 or lower....then it work fine...the compressor kicks on with the outside fan???? Strange to say the least:banghead3

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Now that is odd! If you wait a few minutes then turn it back to cool does everything but the compressor come on or do you have turn it down to 72 to have anything happen? Sounds like something is wrong out side but I can't figure out why it's related to the thermostat setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts