My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a pretty good deal? It looks to be in reasonable condition, body wise, but with the engine not running it might be no good and need more than the fresh gas they are indicating.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
i know nothing about this model, but........

if the tires hold air. if the body is good. if the steering is pretty tight. if the deck is like most any other simplicity/allis deck. if the electrical seems intact and not really tampered with....then yes, i'd buy. but i'm also a sucker for another project i don't have time for.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the engine turns and has compression and everything seems tight I'd probably take a chance for $100 even though I dont really have much I'd do with it. I would think it would take quite few years before the gas got bad enough so it wouldn't run at all.....

If you don't want to work on it yourself it could get expensive fast.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I work on riders mostly, doing refurbs and resale of them......but I don't have a lot of knowledge for these older riders. I mean are parts hard to get for the deck, such as belts and spindles, for instance. He did state that 2 tires are flat, so it is a common issue for old riders in that case. I see that all the time. I should buy stock in the company that produces Slime!

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump, please

Again, is getting deck belts and spindles a problem with these older
Simplicity models? I may go and pick it up tomorrow.

I'd like to offer him $50 for it, but it looks decent, and the engine will be the only thing to worry about, I don't normally buy these older all steel body riders. I normally pay $100 for a 90's model rider if the engine isn't running but has compression. I'll be taking a battery to spin it and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
If it runs....$100. If it don't....$50. If it has compression and looks clean, split the difference. Hows the deck look? Blades? Rust?
Do you REALLY want it, have a use for it, and have the time and storage for it?
Don't just buy it because it looks good.
I did. Couldn't pass up free bees. My back yard is now also known as 'blue tarp city'.

Tires can be gotten anyplace, or just tube them. Bring some starting fluid. It may surprise you.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may keep it for my yard work. I need a narrow mower than my Murray 40". If it is indeed a 36" cut like I think it must be from the manual I just found, then it might be easier on blades. I'll have to check into how hard it is to find blades for it, first. My yard is a torture test yard at present. Lots of tree roots, and mole runs to mow down.

But then I might sell it, too. It does depend on how much I have to do to get it running. Presumably, it has set for 2 years in the mans barn. It will need 2 tires to be "blowed" up with the lighter fluid trick. I hope to only have to replace the battery and rebuild/clean the carb. If the engine is not too tired. It otherwise should be good to go. Might have to replace the belts.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Lighter fluid trick?:lalala::Stop:
A better (and safer) way is to wrap a piece of rope or belt around the tire with a stick in it, like a tourniquet. Turn the stick so as to tighten the rope, the tire will buldge out to meet the rim. 'Grease' up the rim with Ivory (or similiar) dish washing soap, and Inflate. POP!
Release the rope.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
Don't know about Tenn. but in PA they bring $300-ish running, $500-ish tops for a sweet one and $150 for a tired one. If the engine is toast, it's not worth much -- unless you have an engine kicking around. Don't spend too much time and money on this model.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got home with it about 9pm.....and I think it is not too bad. I gave him the $100 for it he was asking. It has some sun fade on the body paint. I hope to buff it up and bring it back enough that I don't have to do a paint job on it in order to get the "pretty" back in it. The tires are going to need tubes at the very least. If I keep it, I'm thinking I'll put new used tires on it when I get a chance. I aired the tires up while there (no, lighter fluid!) with my air compressor. But by the time I was home with it, 25 miles away, they were all pretty much either flat or not much air left in them. Slime may not handle these weather cracks! Engine turns over, with good compression ( by feel, not gauge), so I think drain the oil and gas, clean the carb, stick a battery in it, and see what we have. He traded some contract work for a practically new JD La 130, and the 4212 was what he mowed with until he got the JD. But that was nearly 2 years ago. I'll post photo's as I work along with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got home with it about 9pm.....and I think it is not too bad. I gave him the $100 for it he was asking. It has some sun fade on the body paint. I hope to buff it up and bring it back enough that I don't have to do a paint job on it in order to get the "pretty" back in it. The tires are going to need tubes at the very least. If I keep it, I'm thinking I'll put new used tires on it when I get a chance. I aired the tires up while there (no, lighter fluid!) with my air compressor. But by the time I was home with it, 25 miles away, they were all pretty much either flat or not much air left in them. Slime may not handle these weather cracks! Engine turns over, with good compression ( by feel, not gauge), so I think drain the oil and gas, clean the carb, stick a battery in it, and see what we have. He traded some contract work for a practically new JD La 130, and the 4212 was what he mowed with until he got the JD. But that was nearly 2 years ago. I'll post photo's as I work along with it.
I had a JD L133, I'd rather have the older 4212 LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts