My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to wait until we started on the project but decided I may as well start one now.

A few weeks ago Adam, a friend I used to work with, came by and we swapped some tires on our tire machine for him for his truck. While in the garage he noticed my 2 Sears and said "I have an SS/16 out in the pasture, and if you want it it's yours free". Me, not being able to turn down that special F word we went to pick it up Monday evening.

He told me it was rough, and man was he right. The story goes that when him and his family moved into a new house 15 years ago (Adam was 14), he found this under a collapsed barn and dug it out and started messing with it. Shortly after he got his first truck project and this got left in the pasture. The hood also got ran over at some point

While checking out the tractor I noticed the extension handle and tiller lift arms, so I started scanning the fence row and saw the gold of the tillers chain case. I asked Adam if that was the tiller for it and he said "yep, want it". What was I going to do, leave it there? :sidelaugh

The motor is locked solid due to no exhaust on it, the transmission turns but won't shift even tho hi-lo works. The nosecone is toast, however the dash is not cracked at all and only has a few holes added to it. We have 2 parts 16hp Onans in the barn so we may make a franken-motor, or just wait for something to come up. Pop's said he would like to get it going to be "his tractor" to put his sickle mower on so I will keep and eye out. From the folks of the SSBTC they believe it is a 1975 model. Not quite sure what we will do with the tractor, but the tiller will be revived

It has been repowered by a '92 5hp B&S Industrial but the pulley on it is shattered and the belts are missing. A framework was added under the engine so all of that has to be figured out also. The tiller tines still half at least half there life left. The engine turns over and has compression tho so I think it may be salvageable

Enough jibber jabber, here are the pictures

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Subscribed to another lengthy thread I bet! lol sorry Mikey!
That looked like the engagement rod my SS16 had as well. Maybe for deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subscribed to another lengthy thread I bet! lol sorry Mikey!
That looked like the engagement rod my SS16 had as well. Maybe for deck?

My threads are like wine Eric, they get better as they age :sidelaugh.
And very well could be. By the other brackets it looks like this had some kind of snow blower or blade so I thought it may be for that

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well work is moving ahead a little quicker than I thought. The plow is done, I am on hold for the arms until I have access to a machine shop starting next week and the weight bracket is moving along well

Pop's and I talked today about which to do first, the tiller or the generator. He said he had a bit he would like to till and would prefer to do it first, so I said lets do it

I took the tiller off the SS16 and dragged the SS next to the barn with the 10X then hooked up the tiller to the 10X. Hanging it on a running tractor makes it much easier to work on and move, what a slug! He had to help me lift it even with my extension because my arms are not set for it yet. The front end was quite light also :sidelaugh

Once in the shop he decided to lay down and the curiosity was killing me, so off with it's head! We wanted to make sure no water got in sitting in Adam's pasture

Everything broke loose very easily, head bolts even look like new, and no water got in. Cylinder looks very good with all the cross hatching left also, it must not have been used much before it got left in the barn. I wrecked the head gasket so it will be getting a new one

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Nice work guys! Looks like the tiller will be easier to get going.

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eric!

Went back out tonight and cleaned up the head gasket surfaces with the angle grinder and finger wheel. Also removed the carb to clean tomorrow, and took off the coil to sand the rust off of the flywheel and regapped it with a business card

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up a new head gasket yesterday, B&S part number 272157S and installed it yesterday, torquing it to 140inch/lbs as recommended.

Next up since I am not great with carbs yet Pops gave me a hand and we cleaned out the carb. Used a mix of B12 Chemtool and gas. Reassembled it with a new fuel line too. Just need to rinse the tank this morning (it looks clean but just in case) and may try to test fire it!

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday morning I rinsed out the tank (it was clean but just in case), topped up the oil and the first pull it roared to life and ran smooth as butter. No knocks or noises either

Today Pops and I got out the pullers to get what was left of the pulley off. The 3 jaw pulley just crushed the aluminum, so we broke out chunks and used the bearing puller

I then cleaned up the crank in preparation for the new pulley, as well as removed and freed up the tail wheels on the tiller. After pulling off the motor we can now figure out what to chop out to make it original again

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Good work guys!! Sounds like a good engine on tiller!

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Eric! Hoping so

Went back out and pops had cleaned up and reinstalled the tiller wheels, then we decided to pull the top mount to cut off the extra. Someone had already partially hacked it up so we will try to fix it up a bit (as can be seen by one side missing the support) Only took 10 bolts and the whole top was off, then we cut the welds with the blue tipped wrench. I will clean it up with the grinder tomorrow

We went thru the barn and found a 2 belt pulley for the engine. It is 2.5 inches while the stock one was 3 inch, but it is all we have on hand

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well good news and bad news. The good news is I ground down the old welded spots and made it more presentable.

The bad news is the engine won't work out, the crank is just too short to safely put a double pulley on without having to modify the engagement lever heavily. We decided to put it back together less the engine and wait for an engine to turn up for it. I know a few places that may have one as well as a couple friends so this thread may be taking a little break for awhile as we hunt for an 8hp with the long shaft

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rotospader was buried in the rear of the barn today in preparation for winter. It will be resurrected once we find a motor

However the old SS16 may be getting new life this winter. I am in talks with a tractor friend of mine about buying a used Onan that he is willing to short block for us (since we already have 3 carbs, 3 starters, and 1.5 exhaust systems). In preparation of pressure washing the machine before the weather gets cold (since it is oily) I pulled the drain plug on the original engine so it wouldn't continue puking on itself. A steady, clean stream of tap water came out :sidelaugh: :hide:. Definitely not what you want to see from your motor

Will keep this thread posted

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That hood damage should buff right out.
A little rubbing compound and it will be good to go ;)

We had the pressure washer out today doing the vehicles so we hit the tractor with Gunk engine degreaser and then fired away. What do you know you can polish a turd, but it is still a turd :sidelaugh. It will be nicer to work with without getting covered in oily crud

We also noticed the front rims are rotted out so they got added to the list of parts to find

I told Pops to take a picture with his treasure, it will make a neat before and after

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,024 Posts
Lookin' good Guys but the headlights need adjusting if you're gonna run after dark.

·
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Made the road trip to Port Huron today for the parts! Everything went well. When we got home and started looking it over we noticed a few unforeseen issues with the engine, but the seller is working with us to make it right (was an honest mistake). All in all it was a good trip :)

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,024 Posts
Good lookin' hood Mike, doesn't even need paint, ready to install.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts