My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its taken longer than I expected or wanted but I did step back several times and just come to the forum and research the problems I was having. I will share with you the history of buying Ethal and up to today.

We bought Ethal a great looking 1941 9N at an auction a about 6 weeks ago. I lived 11 miles away from where I bought her. She ran a little rough but sound strong no smoke and no rattles. We started on our way home with the wife behind me. My first mistake. I wish I would have called a rollback to pick her and the bush hog up. She spitted and backfired and died 7 miles into the journey. My wife towed me the rest of the way home. I would never recommend this either. It took maybe 10 years off my life even though we never went above 20 mph my wife says, my life passed in front of me. It scared me.

I got her home she ran good enough to unload the bush hog off the utilty trailer I borrowed and got the bush hog back to the back forty. And then she died in the barn. I found this forum and started reading and learning. I checked the plugs they looked great, worn but burning even and good no oil and no gas.

I changed the plugs, checked and changed fuel filters I changed the points and condenser I torqued and cleaned all elec connections and she roared to life only to die int barn a half hour later with same symptoms. she was getting fuel and had fire. I researched more and read she probably had a float problem she leaked gas out the intake tube. I hated to but decided to buy a new carb instead of the rebuild because I plan on having Ethal a long time. I would like her to be reliable. After changing the carb and spending hard earned cash I expected her to roar to life and give me years of faithful service:fing20: instead I got what I had before. not starting but wanting to but just not getting there, I forgot I bought a new 6 volt battery. During this time I seen a smoking deal on a 8N side mount and finnish mower and box drag happen I was just a few hours too late or I would have had the 8N and implements. Here I am smoking deal gets away right under my nose and my 9N still dont run.

Back to drawing board. I came back to forum and searched old posts again. I seen where a member posted about the color of the spark at plugs and said it needed to be bright and yellowish blue. My spark was white and not bright. I Bought a 6 volt coil this morning and she roared to life :praying: my prayers were answered and my wifes. Joy could tell the tractor was getting to me, and she was right I was starting to wonder if I made a bad decesion buying her. I ran her for around an hour, and Joy my wife took her for a spin with a big smile on her face.

Ethal starts and purrs like a sewing maching. she has around 25 PSI oil pressure and not a sputter nor miss. The points I changed were closed and no gap. the points needed changed. The plugs needed changed. The wires that came off were rock hard and were needing changed. The carb was leaking at the intake and the previous owner had the adjustments all out of whack to get her to run. The carb I glad I changed it. I know I have a clean carb. I will rebuild the one I took off and use it for back up.

I could have checked the coil sooner but it really did'nt matter because she really needed the other parts. She has a current tune up which I learned how to do here on this forum. I did all the work myself and I now know a bunch more than when I started the journey.

Now it is time to do the oil change and air filter service and service Ethal with new fluids. But it will be much less stressful than it was now because we now have a runner and not just a great looking 9N. Thank you so much for being here and being so helpful :thanku: I found a great place here

·
Registered
680 Posts
congrats on getting your N up and running. For myself I truly enjoy a tractor that I can still work on with everyday tools and get it running in top form again. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
A satisfied 'N' owner :thThumbsU

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will be here often learning as much as I can. I had a lot of fun doing this. My whole train of thought was knocked out whack when I seen that 8N and implements sell down the road from me.

I want to try and put the 9N back to original. During the parts buying process I had to decide 6 volt or 12 volt. I want to keep her original, she is going to have a pretty soft life and well cared for with us. We want to use her in the garden. And some minor clearing. I would love to see restored orignal 9N tractors. Is there a place here in the forum that has pictures of 9/2/8 N tractors?

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Thanks guys, I will be here often learning as much as I can. I had a lot of fun doing this. My whole train of thought was knocked out whack when I seen that 8N and implements sell down the road from me.

I want to try and put the 9N back to original. During the parts buying process I had to decide 6 volt or 12 volt. I want to keep her original, she is going to have a pretty soft life and well cared for with us. We want to use her in the garden. And some minor clearing. I would love to see restored orignal 9N tractors. Is there a place here in the forum that has pictures of 9/2/8 N tractors?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad you got it figured out the nice thing about these tractors is people can still work on them :trink39:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts