My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i need a little more explaining on what the float control is on the 8n. I realise the 9n doesn't have it which i have. But the little i used my 9n before i took it apart grading the driveway it seemed like i could put the back blade at any height i wanted. Please help me explain what this feature is.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The Draft position on the 8N allows the hydraulics to adjust the amount of engagement the implement (plow) has with the ground, it allows the system to raise or lower as needed as the load increases or decreases on the implement (plow). The Position control lets you set the implement at the height you want it and the hydraulics hold it there or try to depending on how good the system is, the height is not adjusted unless you do it with the control.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i guess what i don't understand, is if i set the blade 1 inch off the ground and hit something it won't float up the pile? I mean if your plowing wouldn't you want it to not float?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
so i guess what i don't understand, is if i set the blade 1 inch off the ground and hit something it won't float up the pile?

It will float over something it does not catch under, like a pile of dirt or gravel, because the hydraulics do not have down pressure. This can be helped somewhat on a back blade by the angle/pitch the blade is set to.

I mean if your plowing wouldn't you want it to not float?

If it did not "Draft", adjust to the load the plow is applying to the tractor you would spend all your time moving the plow up and down manually as you encountered harder ground and your tires spinout. Draft control does the work for you, mind you it is not making MAJOR adjustments up or down to the plow, just enough to keep you turning dirt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts