My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Fairly new to tractors and to the forums and wondered if I could get some help.
Picture shows a cotter pin at the bottom of the tractor, near the drain plug, center of the tractor.
I'm getting intermittent and fairly significant oil leaks out of that hole where the cotter pin is.
It doesn't do it all the time, will stop by itself, and I cannot seem to find a set of circumstances (hydraulics up, hydraulics down, neutral, in gear, etc), that either makes it leak or makes it stop.

Suggestions?

thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
That cotter key has been the object of many questions, it is there to keep the housing drain hole open. The hole is there to drain oil that leaks into the housing from either the engine rear main seal or the transmission input shaft seal. Check the oil level in each to discover which it is that is leaking. Now if it is black oil I would suspect engine oil if it is more clear than black transmission oil would be more likely the source.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,563 Posts
That cotter key has been the object of many questions, it is there to keep the housing drain hole open. The hole is there to drain oil that leaks into the housing from either the engine rear main seal or the transmission input shaft seal. Check the oil level in each to discover which it is that is leaking. Now if it is black oil I would suspect engine oil if it is more clear than black transmission oil would be more likely the source.
:MTF_wel2:

If mine DIDNOT leak, I would worry about it!! These machines are old, keep an eye on it and replace both seals if you ever need to split the tractor..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts