My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my dad has a ford 9n and we were trying to replace the belts on the motor and realized that the front axle bushing had walked its way back and started to grind into the front of the crankshaft pulley. so we supported the front of the motor and pulled the whole front axle assembly off. the bushing is garbage, so we got a new one comming, but my question is what holds that front axle bushing in place? there are holes in the bushing, and a hole in the support bracket the bushing goes into, so im thinking a pin of some sort? but we also have a loader on the tractor, and the shaft for the hydraulic pump that runs the loader is bolted to the crankshaft pulley and runs through the middle of the axle bushing, so a pin would hit the shaft if it was very long. does anybody have a setup like this, where the shaft that drives the hydraulic pump for the loader runs through the axle bushing? if you could let me know what holds the bushing in place that would be great. pictures would be greatly appreciated, but any advice is helpful. Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
It is suppose to be a press/tolerance fit, loaders are MURDER on the pin and bushing. You will need to build up the mount with a welder as I am sure it is beat out of round and tolerance. You can do it if you can weld and have a grinder that can fit into the opening or take it to a machine shop. It is not a super critical alignment fit situation. If you are off a bit one way or the other it won't hurt.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
so my dad has a ford 9n and we were trying to replace the belts on the motor and realized that the front axle bushing had walked its way back and started to grind into the front of the crankshaft pulley. so we supported the front of the motor and pulled the whole front axle assembly off. the bushing is garbage, so we got a new one comming, but my question is what holds that front axle bushing in place? there are holes in the bushing, and a hole in the support bracket the bushing goes into, so im thinking a pin of some sort? but we also have a loader on the tractor, and the shaft for the hydraulic pump that runs the loader is bolted to the crankshaft pulley and runs through the middle of the axle bushing, so a pin would hit the shaft if it was very long. does anybody have a setup like this, where the shaft that drives the hydraulic pump for the loader runs through the axle bushing? if you could let me know what holds the bushing in place that would be great. pictures would be greatly appreciated, but any advice is helpful. Thanks a lot.
The front axle bushing is a press fit as stated by john.
Is you radius rods bent.
If bent it can throw the hole out of round. With axle out check for round. If round mic it to make sure you get a right bushing and axle kingpin that fits it snug. Ask for diamator. Believe it or not they that have different sizes. Ask want the dia it is and don't go with a "will fit 9n 2n 8n".
Also check the pulley adapter for the loader. The rubber bushings could be worn and out of round causing the shaft to hit causing the holes in your axle bushing.

Kirk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what does the kingpin look like? i dont think our tractor had one of those, there was just the bushing with nothing to hold it in. i would of thought thered be a snap ring and a shoulder, or some kind of roll pin to go through it or something. the bushing had had holes that were round like they were drilled not like the shaft hit and wore through it. ill try to get some pics up maybe, but yeah i was thinking the hole probly got beat and bent out of round the way the bushing looked when it came out, but i dont know thats pretty hard steel so hopefully it just mashed up the bushing not the hole. when i looked at a parts catalog i found on this site, it showed a front axle bushing, and pin. but im still confused on this pin, what it looks like and how it works. but im thinking the pump shaft running through the bushing made it imposible to put the pin back in and somebody just figured that bushing wouldnt go anywhere. nice figurin huh?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
With the axle pin out the front of the tractor would sit very low. The axle would be press up agaist the engine pulley. The bushing sits in the middle of the axle. The pin goes thur the front of the axle carrier thur the axle to the back of the axle carrier. There are also shims in front and back of the axle. Check your parts manual. Post a photo if you can.

Kirk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Early 9N kingpins were a simple round pin with a steel bushing pressed into the axle support. They usually were kept in place by a tapered bolt screwed down from the axle support. "Usually" the bushing wears through because no one checks or replaces these and the kingpin wears the softer cast steel of the axle. This allows the bushing hole to egg shape and any replacement of the bushing simply slides back towards the engine. Some have had success drilling the axle and putting another bushing in to bring it to the correct size, most try to find a replacement axle that has not been worn to an egg shape.

There are some good pics on my website:

[URL="http://www.8nacres.com/1939_9N/"]http://www.8nacres.com/1939_9N/[/URL]

HTH,
Dan

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I believe he is talking about PIN part # 9n-3126-A & bushing Part# 9n-3039. Better to post some photos so it is clear.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
He is talking about the axle pivot pin, that is the only pin close to the crankshaft pulley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts