My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we pulled the columbia out today & gave it a once over to see whats missing/needs fixed ect. I noticed the wiring has been hacked/burned pretty good in places & looks to be hooked up wrong at the voltage regulator. As you can see in the pic its hooked up as red/green/black - the manual says it should be green/blk/red.Can anyone look at theirs and confirm? I also noticed the black wire is completely burned all the way from the regulator to the key switch so that will need redone to. Also what size fuse do you guys run from the amp gauge to the battery? there isnt one in there and the manual doesnt mention it.
We was wanting to sell this 990 but i think jodi is having second thoughts now & wants to keep it if we can get it running.... thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope,im pretty much stuck on that page you have there blacksmith, other than the color of the wires it dont tell me much. Look at number 16 , all it says is "circuit breaker" but what size is the fuse?
I need to see how the voltage regulator hooks to the grill to, is it like the way i have it in the picture or is it the other way? It was basically hanging by the wires. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well according to the volt reg everything is hooked up correct, went thru and cleaned all connections & tested them to make sure everything was getting power and this thing now cranks over. Guess all thats left is to clean the points & take it out and see if it will fire up. Anyone know where i can find the motor manual for a 16hp
model 326431
type 0139-01
code 721128 They dont seem to have it on the briggs site.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK good ,thanks blacksmith, i just guessed 14 & went with that so i was close. I will swap that out for a 20 b4 i try to fire it up. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
OK good ,thanks blacksmith, i just guessed 14 & went with that so i was close. I will swap that out for a 20 b4 i try to fire it up. Thanks again.
A 14 may be ok to use. If it pops, then go to the 20 amp. It protects everything but the starter circuit. The headlamps draw about 3 amps each and everything else draws well under 14 amps. The generator is capable of about 15 to 20 amps output so that might pop the breaker if your battery is low.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks VTX, so far so good on the 14, after the "rain delay" here the other night i pulled the columbia out & it wouldnt fire. The starter just run flat/slow, i thought the battery might be low but that wasnt the case so last night i put the starter off my gilson on & it cranked quicker but no start. HOPEFULLY i get more than 10 minutes today to look at it. Thank you ALL for ANY help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts