My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got back to working on the steering of my Yellow 990.
While assembling the new steering gears and fixing the steering stop, I wanted to see if I could make her steer the same left and right as long as I'm building all the steering stuff anyway.
I set up the column in my vise, set at the same angle it sits in the tractor and measured the angles of the pivot arm as it rotates.
When turning it all the way to the left the edge of the arm is 14-degrees above horizontal and when turning it to the right it stops about 35-degrees below the horizontal in the other direction. Now its been so long since I've been able to use either 990 that I cant remember which way they turn better, but judging from this info I'd say they turn right better as the 14 degrees above horizontal turning left is mostly non productive.
-
My thought is to make a new arm so that it is perpendicular to the ground when the steering gear is centered, thus it should have the same throw in each direction. I have the new arm designed and should get it made this week.
-
Why did Mtd do this? Am I missing somthing? Does any of this make sense?
All input is appreciated.
:00000060:

Scott

·
Registered
115 Posts
hmmm? well what i did to settle my stearing problen. i noticed that there are two bushings one at the top of the stearing and one at the bottom the one at the top was in place but as for the bottom it was gone so i found to washers and cut about an inch give or take out of one side and then placed them at the spot where the bushing should have been then a few taps later i was done before i put these in place i picked the shaft up and cetered the front end then pushed the colum back down it seems to turn just fine either way now but it wasnt so good before i did this but im happy so far

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hey TT, did you ever get yours back together and going

1 - 3 of 3 Posts