My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on how to replace a bent universal shaft that goes to a tiller on my 990? I adjusted the 3 point hitch to the dimensions in the manual and when i raised up the tiller i looked under the tractor and the shaft had hit the transaxle and dented. It vibrates the tractor really bad when i engage the tiller and then the tractor shuts off. I am wondering if there is an economical solution to get parts that work or to make them? Thanks for any help. Jim
Also, since I am posting, is there a special screw that keeps tension on the hydro forward reverse lever, mine is very loose and won't stay engaged at the speed i want. I looked under and there is a screw missing. There looks to be a bolt welded onto a plate in the linkage but nothing going into it. I look at the parts manual but can't follow the diagram for sure. Is it a shoulder screw? Any size and thread count you know off. What do you guys do with this problem? It would be nice not to have to hold the lever with my foot and go full speed all the time. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
There is a tension adjustment on the lever is shows you how to adjust in the manual. Also the spring holds some tension on it in slide path.

·
Blacksmith
834 Posts
I damaged my shaft over 25 years ago when the set screw loosened up when I started the tiller. I put a large dent in the shaft. I replaced the tubing myself. The tubing was 1.500 I.D. and 1.625 O.D. I sawed off the weld and I machined the universal joints to be square. I have an old (1928) 9" lathe to do this. You want the end to be butted with the tubing to be square. I also had the tubing machined on each end (at work) for the same reason. If you can get this done than it saves a lot of money if you have to buy a replacement.

I also replaced the set screw PTO with a spline type from my local tractor parts place. New PTO shaft and all the u-joints on the tiller and mower deck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a spare Tiller shaft that I will sell if you do not wish to repair yours. I also have a source for some other shaft parts if you have the need. You can send me a message dirrect if interested. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts