My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed while reading the forum that people mention that 27" diameter, 15" rim ags to fit the 990 are either very difficult or impossible to find. I've been thinking about using a set of 215/75R15 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain tires as an alternative to the turf tires mine came with.

In looking around, apparently these aren't available in this size, in the classic Mud-Terrain tread pattern any longer, only in a newer "KM2" variant:

Not as good for the intended purpose, as far as I'm concerned.

I just happened to be browsing the Miller Tire website and found that they offer a 4-ply 6.70-15 Goodyear Sure-Grip tire:

According to this website, 6.70-15 crosses to either a 205/75R15 or 215/70R15 P-metric size which, according to the Miata.net tire size calculator would work out to either 26.9" or 27.1" OD - close enough!

They are a bit pricey at $110 each, but apparently they are available. The Mud-Terrains are $138 each from Tire Rack, for reference...

Did I miss this, or has anybody actually bought and mounted up a set on a 990? If so, let's see 'em!

Also - here is an eBay auction for a set of these same 6.70-15 tires, mounted on 4-bolt Wheel-Horse wheels. Would these be a direct bolt-on upgrade? I saved and attached the auction photos below.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I think our 990s are 4.5" spacing on the loug nuts, versus 4" on the Horse rims.

Interco also makes a narrow and deep treaded tire that works out to about 28" mounted.

I'm hunting for a pair of blemished skid steer tires for $60 or so each. If I don't find them this summer, I'm going to change to the 5 lug hub and run 12" rims with tall ATV tires.

I think our stock rims are too wide for a 6.xx-15 tire.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... stock rear tire is 27" x 9.50, you may be right.

Darn it!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The Interco (TSL I think) and the 27x9.50-15 skid steer are the two most likely candidate. The Interco was the only thing short enough yet wide enough I could find.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I look at it this way . . . My tractor didn't cost me a dime. It's a bad @$$ tractor. Tires are the most expensive thing I'll have on it . . . What I'll be using the tractor for I'll be needed some good traction, plus I sold a old jeep station wagon that offsets the cost.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Those tru powers 29x12.50x15 ask for a wider rim width than the stock. Actually they spec it for a 10" rim. I'm going to mount one on a 8" rim to see how it works. I'll post some pic's when i get my tires. I thought about widening the stock rim but i came across a good deal on some 5 bolt hubs that will fit my 8" car rims nicely. More on this later . . .

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm hunting for a pair of blemished skid steer tires for $60 or so each. If I don't find them this summer, I'm going to change to the 5 lug hub and run 12" rims with tall ATV tires.
don't do it. Unless you will never encounter a rock, stick, or anything that will require the tire to flex. Because these tires don't flex. I put a set on my 990, and it took 200 lbs of wheel weights and vbar ice chains to equal the stock cracked tires, no wieght, std chains performance.
Here is the link to my review of the skid steer tires.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=63078&highlight=990+tires+day+review

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
My dad put a set of winter force with studs on a FWD chevy cavalier, we went every where in the snow never got stuck!!!:goodl:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
don't do it. Unless you will never encounter a rock, stick, or anything that will require the tire to flex. Because these tires don't flex. I put a set on my 990, and it took 200 lbs of wheel weights and vbar ice chains to equal the stock cracked tires, no wieght, std chains performance.
Here is the link to my review of the skid steer tires.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=63078&highlight=990+tires+day+review
That stinks, but is good to know. That leaves the Intercos at $125 each, plus tax, etc. I kind of hate to put $250+ worth of tires on a $350 tractor, but if I must, I must.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That stinks, but is good to know. That leaves the Intercos at $125 each, plus tax, etc. I kind of hate to put $250+ worth of tires on a $350 tractor, but if I must, I must.

it's better than the alternative. I only use my 990 a few times a year now. With a log skidder. And thats only because it has the 3 point and a front mount winch. The tires pretty much ruined a great tractor. I gotta spring for ag's for this someday.................

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.