My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few days I have been working on the mower deck for my red 990(Greenie).
First I pressure washed the deck and then went to work on wire wheeling the whole thing with a 4-1/2" grinder and a Knotted Wire Cup wheel. It came out pretty much bare metal and was cheaper than having it blasted.
I also replaced the skid bars and will be making new shaft for the rear roller.
I had to weld up a few sins and straighten some bent metal, and now the deck is pretty much 100% structurally.
-
I replaced every bearing in the deck with new SKF's and sandblasted the bearing hubs, shims etc. in my benchtop sandblast cabinet. The whole stamped steel hub and shim thing is a less than stellar set up.
-
I designed new bearing hubs, I can machine out of Aluminum that will eliminate the whole multi-shim BS and be more fitting for heavy duty garden tractor such as the 990. For now, I will use the stock stuff but will definately make new ones soon, as well as some spare spindle shafts.
-
I noticed the tension pulley bracket was wearing into the deck so I cut some washers and wear pads from a plastic milk carton and placed them at the three wear points. I was able to tighten the bracket down tight and it still moves smooth as silk....Yippee.
I think the milk carton plastic will work out good as is seems really tough.
-
Some things I do may seem overkill but I love these tractors and it will be worked hard, so I want to address as many issues as I can during the rebuild.

Scott
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Thats going to be a nice one, I did the same thing with my 50" deck and loved the way it cut
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top