My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MT IDA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Dodge 4WD with 5 speed and 318 engine has a new problem. The ligft on the speedo that tells you the parking brake is on comes on now sometime along with the anti- loc brake light and the speedo quits working. Any ideas. I hate this kind of stuff. MT IDA

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I would say that there is a problem with one of the wheel sensors on the truck. The speedo is electrical and tied into these. The antilock uses these sensors to determine if a wheel has stopped turning to engage the antilock.

I would put a diagnostic scanner on the truck to check for trouble codes.

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
This might not be the right answer but I try this on my 95 dakota when the parking brake comes on is... I release the parking brake as sometimes it gets bumped and turns the brake light on. This is just a minor suggestion

Merrie

·
20,000 +posts!
20,958 Posts
My friend tells me many Dodge trucks have a speed sensor on the rear differential that goes bad and can cause these kinds of woes..

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
My friend tells me many Dodge trucks have a speed sensor on the rear differential that goes bad and can cause these kinds of woes..
yup; I believe 98 was the 1st yr for the rear end sensor controlling the speedo; oldre trucks had the ABS sensor on the rear end but the speed sense came from a sensor on either the trans (2wd) or T case.
I remember a 90-91 1 ton rollabcak tow truck taht somehow grenaded the exciter ring inside the diff that triggers the sensor for ABS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts