My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the PTO clutch in my 955 is trashed. I won't be 100% sure until I remove the transaxle and tear it down for inspection (not looking forward to that). I've also (once again) have come to the conclusion that whoever at Deere is setting the prices for parts was either trashed or at the least, smoking something funny, when they set their prices. Come on... $200 for 6 little clutches and steels??? Another $200 for the 8 or 9 even smaller clutches and steels for the PTO brake??? I've bought entire sets of high performance clutches and steels for automatic transmissions that are 2 or 3 times that size and 2 times number of clutches and steels for a fraction of that cost.

I'm about ready to fly the bird at John Deere, push this thing off into the pond and buy a Kubota. Great tractors when they're running and REDICULOUS to try and maintain. It's almost as if they don't want you to fix them, and just buy a new tractor instead. If that is their strategy, then the replacement tractor will more than likely NOT be a John Deere. Isn't the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently posted a potential problem with my 955 PTO clutch. It has since cleared itself up. If it reoccurs I would like to know how to replace and repair mine. Any photos and steps to replacement would be a great help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How handy are you? The Cliff's Notes reads like this:

1) Disassemble tractor.
2) Remove transaxle.
3) Disassemble PTO clutch shaft.
4) Reassemble PTO clutch shaft.
5) Install transaxle.
6) Reassemble tractor.

While talking to my Dealer's service dept. the other day, they told me that they had to remove the transaxle and pull the front cover off of it to retrieve the bolt head and washer from the transmission pinion on an 855. They had 16 hrs. of labor in that. Add to that the time to remove the PTO shaft, rebuild it and reinstall it... I'm just guessing about 8 more hours.
24hrs. x $75/hr = $1800 labor
About another $450 in parts & gaskets

So, about $2250 if you had a dealer do it. Obbiously much cheaper to do the work yourself, but it is an involved repair not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would probably buy a shop manual for such an undertaking. I just replaced the engine after a rod through the block, so I have the tools and time. I just never messed with a hydrostatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Well, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the PTO clutch in my 955 is trashed. I won't be 100% sure until I remove the transaxle and tear it down for inspection (not looking forward to that). I've also (once again) have come to the conclusion that whoever at Deere is setting the prices for parts was either trashed or at the least, smoking something funny, when they set their prices. Come on... $200 for 6 little clutches and steels??? Another $200 for the 8 or 9 even smaller clutches and steels for the PTO brake??? I've bought entire sets of high performance clutches and steels for automatic transmissions that are 2 or 3 times that size and 2 times number of clutches and steels for a fraction of that cost.

I'm about ready to fly the bird at John Deere, push this thing off into the pond and buy a Kubota. Great tractors when they're running and REDICULOUS to try and maintain. It's almost as if they don't want you to fix them, and just buy a new tractor instead. If that is their strategy, then the replacement tractor will more than likely NOT be a John Deere. Isn't the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?
You obviously haven't bought many Kubota parts if you are considering one for cheaper prices. In my experience, their parts are higher than Deere, and you have to wait a lot longer to get them.

The problem lies in the parts passing through too many hands before it reaches the end consumer. I'm not sure who built those transmissions for deere, maybe yanmar, they sell the parts to deere, then deere sell to the dealer and then the dealer sells to customer. Each stop along the way has to make a profit(and there are more stops than this in many cases) and the end consumer picks up the tab. The trick is trying to find a supplier that can avoid some of the stops.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would probably buy a shop manual for such an undertaking. I just replaced the engine after a rod through the block, so I have the tools and time. I just never messed with a hydrostatic transmission.
You don't have to do anything with the hydrostatic transmission other than remove it. That's just a some linkage, a few hard lines and a couple bolts. The PTO clutch is in the the transaxle which is nothing more than a gear box.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You obviously haven't bought many Kubota parts if you are considering one for cheaper prices. In my experience, their parts are higher than Deere, and you have to wait a lot longer to get them.

The problem lies in the parts passing through too many hands before it reaches the end consumer. I'm not sure who built those transmissions for deere, maybe yanmar, they sell the parts to deere, then deere sell to the dealer and then the dealer sells to customer. Each stop along the way has to make a profit(and there are more stops than this in many cases) and the end consumer picks up the tab. The trick is trying to find a supplier that can avoid some of the stops.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the transaxle is made by HEMA Endustri AS which a Turkish company.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would do or have the pressure tests done on the clutch before I tore it all apart only to find out its an oil delivery problem not a clutch problem. You will also need a special tool to disassemble the clutch drum along with some kind of hyd press.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would do or have the pressure tests done on the clutch before I tore it all apart only to find out its an oil delivery problem not a clutch problem. You will also need a special tool to disassemble the clutch drum along with some kind of hyd press.
I didn't make the decision lightly.... with the amount of metal I found on the strainer, the transaxle needs to be opened up for inspection if for no other reason. Something in there is eating itself. Since everything else works fine, I can only assume at this point that it is the PTO clutch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey,

Just a suggestion on parts. Through this forum, I was referred to Chris at Radke Implement in Chrisman IL, and his price quotes were at least 10% less than my local dealer, and that included delivery costs. His phone number is 217-822-2477 and his email address is [email protected]. You can tell him that the guy who bought a deluxe suspension seat from him a few months ago referred you to him. Hope that helps. He's a great guy.

On a separate note, after much frustration with an X495 getting bumped to death cutting some rough land around my barn, I just stepped up and bought a 955 with about 800 hours on it and a 72 inch MMW. I'll have a bunch of questions for the 955 guys out there in the months to come, and I really appreciate the feedback from this forum. You guys rock.

Mad Dog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts