My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added JD field installed (kit) power steering to my 1989 950 4WD 5 years ago and since that install my frontend loader and 3 point hitch ran so slow they were almost unusable. I have question many people and my JD dealer without any solution. This week I found the problem and it required a very simple fix. The additional hydraulic fluid filter supplied in the kit has a design defect. The rubber supply hose (rubber hose connecting the filter housing to the metal tube going to the hydraulic pump) mounted to the filter housing under the right floor has a weak sidewall and sucks flat when the fluid reaches operating temperature. I ordered a new hose and found it was softer than my original. I shaped a length of welding rod into a coil ( just like some radiator hoses) and inserted it into the hose. I thought I should post this thinking it may save someone else 5 years of misery. Finally after all these years a solution!!!!!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I had the same problem with mine about five years ago.

Instead of a weak hose, I had gotten a small twist into mine when I serviced the filter. Totally my fault, but it happened.

Once I found it, it was just a matter straightening the hose and getting it set straight.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to MTF.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Wow! I was just getting ready to ask if anybody else has/had this problem.

Gonna check mine as soon as the sun comes up. Knowing my luck, it's probably the pump.:fing20:

Thanks for the tip.:trink40:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DJ, I owe the credit for my fix to you. I read the post about your twisted hose and it prompted a look in the right place.

·
22,321 Posts
You just made my day, Jim. I am so happy that my post could be of some help to someone else here.

Also, make sure that you are using the low viscosity hydraulic fluid from JD. It makes a world of difference in the hydraulic system's speed and cold weather performance.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well, my hoses are fine.

Being an '82 model, I'm not sure how fast they should work, especially at an idle. Mine will barely move, throttle up a couple hundred RPM, it's pretty good.

Is this because it's an older tractor? To slow or worn out pump?

Not tryin to highjack your thread, just lookin for some sound advice.

:thanku:

·
22,321 Posts
The first thing that I would do, Ironmower, it to do a hydraulic fluid and filter change. This is going to cost you around $100, but it will extend the life of the machine.

Replace the screw on filter and also pull out the screen in the bottom of the differential and clean it good too.

Make sure that you are using the low viscosity hydraulic oil and while it is much more expensive, go to your JD dealer and get it from them. JD uses a unique specification and it is only available from them.

Here is the fluid that I am using:

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/4968_fb_HyGardsTransmissionHydraulic.htm#_Hy-Gard_and_low-viscosity_1

At idle, my loader rises at a rate of about one foot every two to three seconds and like you said, if the RPM is bumped up to around 1200 to 1500, the rate doubles, at least.

·
22,321 Posts
Anytime. If you have any questions or run into problems, let us know. We're here to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts