My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 94 craftsman 2 a few years ago and am finally getting serious about rebuilding it. it was sitting since probably the early 2010s or earlier. I am taking all the wiring off and giving it a good bath probably this weekend. I do have a question as to the motor... I know the guy who has the ORIGINAL ENGINE TO THIS EXACT MOWER but he just won't give it up. he says he's gonna put it on a little toro mower. anyway, I found a v-twin that is attached to a mower. I will attach the link to the craigslist ad. I was just wondering if there would be any problem attaching it to the mower? will it fit or will I have to cut the frame or hood?Mower ENGINE - Briggs Twin II 16 hp - complete - farm & garden - by...
this is the mower he wants to put my engine on

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
That's an opposed twin in the ad there...

You might want to post the model numbers from the bottom of your seat to help with assessing your particular tractor, does it have a single cylinder engine?

The engine will definitely bolt in. Be sure you get the full exhaust, as you will need it.
The exhaust should bolt in, but if the donor tractor is an MTD (as it appears), you might need to take the forward mounting bracket off your muffler and transfer it to the new one.
Getting the control cables from the original tractor would be helpful as well. Yours will probably only have one cable (throttle), and it'll be too short. The MTD style choke cable mounts into a square cut-out. You would have to make this cut-out, or get a Craftsman choke cable to go in the original dash cut-out. A universal could be made to work as well.

I've found when putting the opposed twin in a tractor with an under-the-hood fuel tank, you sometimes have to move the tank back a bit to fit.
Be sure not to put the tank back too far though, as it may interfere with the deck engagement mechanism.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well as of now I have no deck on the mower. I probably won't put it back on this one and just pull stuff and maybe race it. I will have to find the original seat when I move it to my shop since I have the seat from a 2010s statesman. I plan to fabricate a dual exhaust for it just for looks. I might put the fuel tank where the battery goes and find somewhere else to put it. It had a 1 cylinder stock but that was taken off at some point. I do have another one and I'm in the process of rebuilding the carb on that one because I dropped the motor and broke the carb. I have a bare carb body that I am putting parts form the broken one on. I will use the throttle cable from the mower that the engine is coming off of. I can post more pictures until I can see the model numbers if that will help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts