My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked about this car before on here, I FINALLY found out that the idle air control was bad, I replaced that and thought I had this thing whipped. After a few days though, it started running bad again but in a different way. Before the new AIC valve, it would choke down when you stopped. Now it barely has enough power to pull a hen off a nest. I messed with it and finally unhooked the battery so the computer could re set, and that seemed to help a lot.

I checked the timing and it was low, I stepped that up and it still seemed to sputter somewhat. Just messing around, I put the timing light on different cylinders and the front 3 all looked just right however, when I tried the 2 that I could reach on the backside of the engine, one looked good, made a clear flash on every fire but the other one did not flash. It glimmered, like the light never came completely on, and never went completely out!!

Does anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
139 Posts
being a 93 I'm guessing it has a distributor , did you check if the timing is advancing when you rev the engine ? sure you don't have a vacuum leak anywhere ?

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
When will people learn you can not adjust the time on these. It will just go back to the factory preset unless you have the dealer equipment to do this. That's like a 10 to 15 thousand dollar obsolete box. Quit guessing and go have it tested if you can find someone with the equipment to do so.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When will people learn you can not adjust the time on these. It will just go back to the factory preset unless you have the dealer equipment to do this. That's like a 10 to 15 thousand dollar obsolete box. Quit guessing and go have it tested if you can find someone with the equipment to do so.
Yes, you can adjust the timing on this one. I have tried to have it tested but no one so far has an OBD1 scanner to do it with.

AND Wrenchturner.......It is a 3000 engine. What do you think about the timing light not flashing when I put it on that one cylinder? It glowed, but did not flash. Also, it did not glow brightly, it sorta glimmers. Strangest thing I have seen!

·
Registered
139 Posts
is this the twin turbo engine ? as far as the timing light staying on I would suspect a corroded contact in the dist. cap or a bad plug wire maybe . check for continuity with a multimeter . shouldn't be over 1000 ohms per foot on resistor type plug wires . I forget if those engines had a maf or a map sensor . but if it's maf any vacuum leak after the sensor will make it just fall on its face like that .

·
Registered
139 Posts
also on a lot of obd1 stuff you can find the diag connector and jump terminals with paperclips and make the check engine light flash codes . no need for a tool ,it just does a self check and you count the flashes and look up the code in the manual or online . I have no idea on the mitsu 3000gt where that is or what terminals to jump , but I'm sure you can dig on Google and find it .

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
At least I have an OBD1 scanner. Just no test can for a Mitsubishi. Just Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. Problem is before OBD2 things were proprietary. If you can come up with the numbers I still have a code book some where. On Chrysler its as simple as cycling the ignition switch between off and run three times. They all should at least show a start cycle and end codes. Don't confuse them as error codes.
If this has an internal coil do not short a plug wire unless you want to replace a distributor. Thankfully an Oriely's life time thing. I have replace a few.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IF this site ever starts a stupid question contest, I'll win with this one going away. Why does the timing light just glimmer on one of the plug wires? Cause it wasnt a plug wire, it was the coil wire!

I was out there messing with it again today and realized what I had done.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Not on this site you would not. It's been 25 years since I have worked on one of those. What's that engine look like any way?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not on this site you would not. It's been 25 years since I have worked on one of those. What's that engine look like any way?
hahah , there's a reason why you don't see em on the road anymore . I've worked on a few back when I was a full time mechanic years ago . they'd come in on the hook and every guy in the shop would cringe and wonder who would get stuck working on it and loose the flat rate time ( because they never gave you enough of course ) . lots of electrical gremlins as well . the vr4 models were ment to compete with the twin turbo Nissan z's and the 1jz/2jz Supras but since they were always broken down they didn't Fare too well . hah , oh the memories

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahah , there's a reason why you don't see em on the road anymore . I've worked on a few back when I was a full time mechanic years ago . they'd come in on the hook and every guy in the shop would cringe and wonder who would get stuck working on it and loose the flat rate time ( because they never gave you enough of course ) . lots of electrical gremlins as well . the vr4 models were ment to compete with the twin turbo Nissan z's and the 1jz/2jz Supras but since they were always broken down they didn't Fare too well . hah , oh the memories
Electrical gremlins is right! You never know what will work when you drive off in this thing! Sometimes the tach quits, right now the lights on the dash concerning whether or not the OD is on or off, dont light up at all. The AC or heat, depending on the season, you turn it on and usually it waits a while before coming on and then it just starts.

BUT.....If you explore the net about them there are lots of people talking about how they have 200,000 miles so far with no problems!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im an ASE Master Tech and a mitsubishi fan. I have a few mitsubishi vehicles, although some are projects that havent been started on yet. Running: 87 Montero, 02 Diamante. Not yet: 97 3000gt, 1980 Plymouth Arrow Pickup (read Mighty Max).

I've also had the 3.0 Sohc v6 in several FWD dodges including a Dodge Dynasty that I converted to a manual trans. I even have two different styles of rare custom-made turbo manifolds for 3.0s in Dodges.

All this to say, you shall not take the Crazy Crown from me!! lol

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
99 half breed Dodge Avenger. Half Mits/half Dodge.
Got to go to Dodge to get part numbers and Mits for parts. Local Advanced and O'Riley's go a good job of stocking most parts.
Got a few of those electric grims also.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yup dodge and mitsu were in bed together for a long time , they've seemed to improve slightly since they partnered with diamler.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Newest Chrysler product is the 99. Had a 2000 Neon that got totaled. Great little car. Then a 2003 Neon that looked nice but was a literal piece of crap. Would not stay in alignment and the transmission would self destruct. Dealer did not even want it on a trade. Yep a real Daimler improvement my butt. Decided to switch brands in stead of buying junk and I am a Mopar nut. Got to admit a newer Challenger would be tempting if the funds were there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well in my opinion BOTH Mitsu and Chrysler took their ugly turns around the same time. Chrysler when Daimler bought them out, which was arguably misrepresented in legal terms and had the SEC's interest but went through anyway, and Mitsu when they started their 0 down 0 interest for one year thing. Years '98 and '01 if i remember correctly. In my mind neither brand has recovered.

If you REALLY want to tank your reputation, just give away your products to people who can't afford to make payments or even pay the MAINTENANCE costs on them. Then, wait 1.5-2 years until all the repo lots everywhere are full of your product when those people who couldn't afford to make payments from day one let the car get repo'd which didn't hurt their credit because they had none anyway, after over a year of treating your product like the free dumpster you 'sold' it as. Finally, enjoy your sweet reward when from that point forward everyone assumes your products are crap because most of the ones they've seen in recent memory had one foot in the grave when they weren't even 5 years old. A gargantuan misstep.

Meanwhile, our 02 Diamante has 277k. Haven't started it in a couple months, actually. It's got a solar maintainer on it. I can start it and drive it across Texas tomorrow if I need to.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Well in my opinion BOTH Mitsu and Chrysler took their ugly turns around the same time. Chrysler when Daimler bought them out, which was arguably misrepresented in legal terms and had the SEC's interest but went through anyway, and Mitsu when they started their 0 down 0 interest for one year thing. Years '98 and '01 if i remember correctly. In my mind neither brand has recovered.

If you REALLY want to tank your reputation, just give away your products to people who can't afford to make payments or even pay the MAINTENANCE costs on them. Then, wait 1.5-2 years until all the repo lots everywhere are full of your product when those people who couldn't afford to make payments from day one let the car get repo'd which didn't hurt their credit because they had none anyway, after over a year of treating your product like the free dumpster you 'sold' it as. Finally, enjoy your sweet reward when from that point forward everyone assumes your products are crap because most of the ones they've seen in recent memory had one foot in the grave when they weren't even 5 years old. A gargantuan misstep.

Meanwhile, our 02 Diamante has 277k. Haven't started it in a couple months, actually. It's got a solar maintainer on it. I can start it and drive it across Texas tomorrow if I need to.
The 03's problem wasn't it was not taken care of because it was. It just was not the car the 2000 was from the get go. We put 168000 on it before it was totaled. Only changed the timing belt and water pump. The carpeting still looked like new.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts