My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been brush cutting around the front yard for the last 2 hours. Going slow and easy with several idle breaks (5 mins). So I need to move a fallen tree, about 6'' diameter that is rotten. I used the loader to push it into a pile (have down this hundreds of times). I go to lift the bucket and the loader will not lift over 24'' off the ground!!?? I played with the engine speed still could not get it lift over 24''. At the 24'' mark it will actually bind the engine (drops 1-200 rpms). Same going down. It will drop to the ground but will not lift the front of the tractor. The loader cylinders are cool to the touch. The bucket curl works normal as does the 3ph and PTO. No fluid leaks and full of hyd fluid. No bent cylinders either.

The only thing I know to do at this point is to let it cool off and try again later.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

That is odd. Never heard of that problem before. Sounds like it may be a problem with the SCV or the linkage. You say the curl works normally. Have you tried it under load to see if it will still curl? If so then the problem is in the lift circuit.
I would give the valve linkage a good look to see if anything is bent, binding or disconnected. Also have you been lubing the valve linkage regularly. If not, maybe it is sticking.

Brian

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been lubing the linkage every time.

I tried it again a few minutes ago. For some reason at the 24'' lift max the left (from sitting in seat) lift cylinder will push out 3/4'' further than the right cylinder. My thoughts now are that the right cylinder is stopping for some reason and the left is still trying to extend. The fluid line for the right cylinder extend is hot on the right side and cold on the left side.

What could have potentially happened internally on the right cylinder?

The loader valve is working fine and the fluid pressure appears normal based on the other cylinders.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Did yu accidentally kick on the lock or have it part way on? slkpk

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has gotten even weirder. I took each lift cylinder off one at a time and extended them in & out. Both fully extended fine, but bound the engine while retracting.

So I got another bright idea. What if I swap the quick connect hoses? This is the first time I have disconnected the hoses. Anyway, I swapped them out and this time using the bucket curl I could get the loader to lift to full height. But get this... I then used the loader lift to do the bucket curl and the bucket curled in & out all the just fine. Now the whole system works but is it is swapped. So I swapped the hoses back to the way they are supposed to be, and now every thing works A-OK. :fing20:

So, what just happened here?:eek:

Been lubing the linkage every time.

I tried it again a few minutes ago. For some reason at the 24'' lift max the left (from sitting in seat) lift cylinder will push out 3/4'' further than the right cylinder. My thoughts now are that the right cylinder is stopping for some reason and the left is still trying to extend. The fluid line for the right cylinder extend is hot on the right side and cold on the left side.

What could have potentially happened internally on the right cylinder?

The loader valve is working fine and the fluid pressure appears normal based on the other cylinders.

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did yu accidentally kick on the lock or have it part way on? slkpk
Loader won't move in any direction with the lock on.

·
4,221 Posts
Never had that issue. Glad it fixed it's self. :fing32:

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
cdhd2001,I don't have an answer. Sure has me puzzled. :fing20:Glad it worked out for you
though.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sounds to me that one of you quick connects for the lift cylinders was partially unseated. I've had similar issues when hooking my FEL back up. Sometimes you think the quick connect is fully seated but it isn't. It won't leak, but it won't pass fluid like normal. My guess is that while cutting, something impacted one of the lift QC's and caused the issue. Basically, once you unhooked them and reconnected them, your issue disappeared, so again, I'm thinking it was a bad connection at the QC.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Sounds to me that one of you quick connects for the lift cylinders was partially unseated. I've had similar issues when hooking my FEL back up. Sometimes you think the quick connect is fully seated but it isn't. It won't leak, but it won't pass fluid like normal. My guess is that while cutting, something impacted one of the lift QC's and caused the issue. Basically, once you unhooked them and reconnected them, your issue disappeared, so again, I'm thinking it was a bad connection at the QC.
:ditto: ???????????? :ditto:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hmm

The fact that it was "binding the engine" is not a good sign. As someone else said above it could have been an issue with the QC for the lift. By binding the engine do you mean that the engine will stall? If this is the case there is something wrong, as the engine will be loaded by the hydraulics but the relief valve should limit the pressure and the engine should not stall.
If you get these syptoms again you should have it looked at by your dealer.

Brian

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm

The fact that it was "binding the engine" is not a good sign. As someone else said above it could have been an issue with the QC for the lift. By binding the engine do you mean that the engine will stall? If this is the case there is something wrong, as the engine will be loaded by the hydraulics but the relief valve should limit the pressure and the engine should not stall.
If you get these syptoms again you should have it looked at by your dealer.

Brian
By "binding" I meant it would drop the rpms 100-200 like it does when you push against the physical limits, say when you curl the bucket to the limit.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Wow that is WEIRD!

I tend to concur with the QC fitting theory, simply because I have no clue what else it could be....

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
I to agree with the above assessment because I have experienced failure issues also when reinstalling my 200CX and the connections appear at a glance to be secure but they aren’t actually all the way in. Yesterday I was using my 46 backhoe on my 2305 and after moving the machine and climbing back up on the backhoe I discovered it would not operate at all! What the heck… I was just using it!? After taking about 5 minutes to drink a little water and think about it I remembered that this had happened last year also and it came to me. When climbing on the backhoe I had inadvertently hit one of the connections with my foot and dislodged it ever so slightly. It does not leak and appears to be hooked but it is not. I released it fully, reinserted it and was on my way… problem fixed. Just the slightest separation deems the connection unusable and thus no flow. With a quick look at it you would never know the connection wasn’t a complete one. Just another lesson for my “I should know better” log book. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

That makes sense. If the flow is being resticted and then blocked as the pressure increases when lifting the loader- then the pressure would build up , the bucket would stop moving, and the engine would load down as the pump pressure hit the limit of the system.
It is very strange that it lifted the bucket at all. This is a good one to remember for when you suddenly lose hydraulic power. Check those quick connects!

Cheers
Brian

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will definetly remember to check the hose connections from now on.

I used the tractor all afternoon brush hogging and pushing brush. Everything worked as it should.:thThumbsU

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Simple fixes are the best! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
:ditto: The same thing happened to me when I first got my 2210. I was carrying a chain in the floorboard, and it slithered off between the couplings and started to wrap around the wheel. No "up" response from the loader. After some serious hand wringing, I reseated the couplers, and it has worked fine ever since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts