My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 8n that has a cracked and leaking pto housing. this tractor came with a spare housing and shaft. is it as easy as unbolting, pulling it out and sliding in the new one? i was wondering about any snap rings on the shaft or if it all falls apart when i pull out the shaft. any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok great! the shaft is already in the spare housing so i was going to just swap shaft and all. i was afraid it had other gears riding on it and they would fall into the bottom when removed....

·
Registered
397 Posts
alright 90W mineral oil from TSC is what you need 5 gallons, make sure you drain all 3 plugs 1 under diff 1 under hydraulic pump and last but not least one under transmission have fun today, i'm going out in a little bit to work on the 9n, i'm "restoring" it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
oh yeah! it is leaking very milky oil....from a bad shift boot. its gettin a new one of those today too! she is gonna feel so much better!
Would you believe that some people say that water can not enter the transmission from a bad shifter boot? Take a look at this article.

http://oldfordtractors.com/myth.htm

I replaced my rubber boot a couple years ago anyway. Depending on where you get the cover they can be a PIA to get on. You might swear that the one you got is the wrong size and will never work but, in that case you just need to know how to install one.

It was a cold day out when I did mine, under 60 degrees. I put it in a pot of boiling water for a couple minutes. When removed, it will cool fast enough to handle but still be pliable. Turn it inside out at that point and immediately slip it on the shaft. Slide it to the bottom and turn it right side out over the lip. I did not even require any tools to do this, it just slipped on nicely.

Without boiling in water it would be impossible to turn it inside out without ruining it. It works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts