My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
-Brandon-
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure that I have a blow headgasket. If I fill the radiator up to the top (I know that's overfull) and start the tractor I can see bubbles comming up from wherever? Combustion gas probably? I am also loosing coolant, and it's not leaking anywhere. The oil looks like it's milky and probably has coolant in it. So I ordered a headgasket and my question is how bad is it to change it? Any advice? It looks like it will be pretty easy I just wanted someone who has done it to let me know how it went. lol Also I bought a felpro gasket from advanced. Good / bad? Thanks for the info in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
As long as the deck is still in good shape it is a simple straight forward job, I always try to use metal gaskets but if there is wear then a fiber gasket would be my choice. Now some folks will say the head may be warped and need to be milled but it won't matter because the head is not so thick that properly torqued bolts will not pull it down flat. I have never milled an N series head or had problems.

·
Registered
560 Posts
pretty simple, the worst part I had was getting the hood & tin off. once it's gone everything is right there, just make sure to follow the torque sequence.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts

·
-Brandon-
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you got bolts you can pull the head without removing the hood. If you got studs you gotta pull the hood. BTDT. also check for cracks if the head gasket doesn't have any obvious blown areas.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Thanks much. I got a book on it somewhere but that saves me the trouble of having to dig through all my junk. :fing32: Also while the head is off i'm probably going to drill and tap the head for a temp gauge. I know some people say you dont need one but, I would like to have one and it's my tractor. :ROF
No problem.:fing32:

Here's the main "How To's" page for the link above, alot of good info. and manuals:

http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/howtos.htm

Don't know about you but I like to see and read about how other people went about making modifications and then use the best ideas from all to do my project.

Here's a write up about "Installing Temp Sending Unit":

http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs/Water-Temperature-Sender-Installation.pdf

Have fun and be sure to have a helping hand with a strong back around if you need to remove the hood or fuel tank! :fing32:

·
-Brandon-
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do the same. I do countless hours of research on how other people did it and then pick what I like or use a combination of ideas. As for the the manuals, I already have both printed off and in the garage waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and do some work. :fing32: :thanku:

·
-Brandon-
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got the head off. I don't see anything that looks like it was blown? Shouldn't it be apparent?
Also got the temp probe fitting installed. Some pictures since we all love them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I would say it is leaking at number 3 from what I can tell in the pics. That is the part of the head that looks like it may have been steamed cleaned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts