My Tractor Forum banner

8n batteries dying

2036 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  bow2no1
I have put 2 or 3 batteries in my tractor in a year. I was wondering if there was anything anyone could help me with. it is 6 volt, 1952.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I have put 2 or 3 batteries in my tractor in a year. I was wondering if there was anything anyone could help me with. it is 6 volt, 1952.
when its running is your amp meter reading more than likely its reading discharge (negative gauge will say) it needs to be over to the right on positive im working on my old style front mount distributor that is not charging as well. My wire harness is orig and so is voltage regulator, that being said the connections and wires are in bad shape i am going to replace those two items then try to polarize the generator if that don't work ill have to clean up the inside of generator.
See less See more
What is it doing exactly? Does it work like it should for a few months at a time, i.e. start and charge without having to be jumped and then just fail or does it need to have a battery charger used to to build it back up before you can use the tractor?

Get an analog volt/ohm meter and check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it should be 7.2 or near to that voltage, more and you are cooking you battery by over charging it. Less means you are not charging it enough.

Lastly it could also be cheap built batteries that are not able to stand up to the jolts and shakes induced by using the tractor on rough ground.
See less See more
What is the reason for replacing the batteries? Are they refusing to hold a charge or just going dead? Are you loosing the liquid from the batteries? Is there quite a lot of acid on the battery top?

Your problem could be a number of things from just having bad connections to generator or regulator problems.

Check the output voltage of the regulator with the engine running at WOT. Over voltage would indicate a bad regulator while low voltage would indicate either the regulator or generator.

Something as simple as a slipping fan belt can cause a low battery condition.

More information needed for the folks here to really help you.

Mike

Edit: I see JohnW and I were typing at the same time. 8)
See less See more
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to post a pic on here
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to post a pic on here
>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<
would this being off of the tractor cause the battery to keep from charging right
See less See more
what is it? where did it come from?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.