My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching to buy a plow. Which is better for a 8n?? Will it pull and do a good job with either plow? Working 2 acres at most.

This might be a silly question,,but will any 3 point attachment hook up to the Ford??

Found a 2 bottom plow for $150. (rough but solid)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've always just used a 2 bottom 16" with my 8N and have no problems. I THINK that a 3 bottom will be a little rough on the old girl. I have found that almost any of the older 3 point stuff will work on the 8N. Just remember there is a maxim weight on the 3 point. "The tractor features a type 1 rear three-point hitch with a maximum lift of 800 lbs." ( http://www.ehow.com/list_7578303_8n-tractor-specifications.html )

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I've always just used a 2 bottom 16" with my 8N and have no problems. I THINK that a 3 bottom will be a little rough on the old girl. I have found that almost any of the older 3 point stuff will work on the 8N. Just remember there is a maxim weight on the 3 point. "The tractor features a type 1 rear three-point hitch with a maximum lift of 800 lbs." ( http://www.ehow.com/list_7578303_8n-tractor-specifications.html )
:ditto: a 2x16" will turn you a lot of ground w/o losing power or engine speed, they're also hard to come by in these part's, plenty of 2x14's though.
I bought a 3x14 for my 65 HP, the ground has to be pretty dry, or it slips way to much.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I wanted to know. Sounds like I want a 2 bottom 2x16". To tell the truth,,I didn't know there was different sizes,,is that the width between the plows?? (14" or 16")

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The N is a 2 bottom plow tractor and depending on your type of ground a 16" may be just a little to much for it but a 14" should be the berries. If it is REALLY hard ground a 12" might even be better.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
This is the plow we have for our 9N and 2N.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,,it all worked out.
I went over a friends that owns tractors and attachments. He said it would be tough for this to pull a 2-16. I told him ,,(from responses on here),, that,,, I was told it would be no problem. lol (didn't say from where)

But he didn't have 2-16 anyhow. But he did have a 2-12 for a Ford sitting in the weeds.

I bought it!!! So it all worked out and I am happy with the deal.

I am picking it up in a day or two,,my truck was loaded,,no room.

I seen the plow but made the deal after we walked away from it. He said it needs a moldboard,or mull board?? I'm not sure what he said it was.

What is it?? Anyone have a picture of what it is?? I assuming I can fix it with some steel and a welder.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm?? I had it in my mind it was the piece that run along the bottom of the blade. Looks I was wrong. It is the blade,,,right??

I hope it is repairable. But,,,it is there,,I seen them both(blades) and from looking at it in the weeds ,,couldn't tell anything was wrong.

I got it for the right price,,, unless it is not fixable.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Hmmm?? I had it in my mind it was the piece that run along the bottom of the blade. Looks I was wrong. It is the blade,,,right??

I hope it is repairable. But,,,it is there,,I seen them both(blades) and from looking at it in the weeds ,,couldn't tell anything was wrong.

I got it for the right price,,, unless it is not fixable.
Might be he was calling another part the moldboard.:dunno:

·
Registered
146 Posts
He might be thinking of the share. "Anatomy of a plow" (how I was taught anyway). The main face is called the moldboard. The part that is on the bottom and goes deepest in the ground is the share. Some plows have a piece that goes in front of the moldboard that is called the shin. There is a piece that goes behind the moldboard, up at the top, called a Moldboard extension. The moldboard extension pushes the soil over farther. Landsides are on the other side of a plow that are in the ground and slide along the bottom of the furrow, hence the name. There may also be a trash board that goes on the top of the moldboard and is turned in a little farther. Last but not least is the coulter. The coulter goes in the ground in front of the moldboard (or shin) to "cut" the sod and give a nice furrow edge. All these parts are replaceable IF you can find them (and that is a big IF).

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He might be thinking of the share. "Anatomy of a plow" (how I was taught anyway). The main face is called the moldboard. The part that is on the bottom and goes deepest in the ground is the share. Some plows have a piece that goes in front of the moldboard that is called the shin. There is a piece that goes behind the moldboard, up at the top, called a Moldboard extension. The moldboard extension pushes the soil over farther. Landsides are on the other side of a plow that are in the ground and slide along the bottom of the furrow, hence the name. There may also be a trash board that goes on the top of the moldboard and is turned in a little farther. Last but not least is the coulter. The coulter goes in the ground in front of the moldboard (or shin) to "cut" the sod and give a nice furrow edge. All these parts are replaceable IF you can find them (and that is a big IF).
I have a welder with plenty of wire,,lol. Not sure what he is referring to,,,but I think I can fix it as long as most of it is there .
He will help me fix it if I don't think I can handle it. I should have taken a better look so I knew what I was in for.

·
1946 2n, 316JD
131 Posts
I am in with you, If you give me something that looks like something, I can rebuild it.. I got a welder, and a gas wrench (cutting torch) I can figure it out, even if I need to buy another plow blade and cut it down
:praying::trink39:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts