My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tecumseh 8hp engine, might be a H80, might be the heavy duty HH80. Anyways, it is on my ~1970 Ariens snowblower.

Previous owner said that it runs great, just needs a little shot of ether to get it going. I found this to be true.

I rebuilt the carb and replaced the plug (and gapped it) last year, and it's the same. Runs strong, just will not start without the spray. Any ideas?
Matt

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Choke?

Some of these Ariens had a plug that you pushed up against the carb face that acted as a choke. Just a simple button/spring/rubber plug arrangement on the heat box.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Choke?

Some of these Ariens had a plug that you pushed up against the carb face that acted as a choke. Just a simple button/spring/rubber plug arrangement on the heat box.
The youtube videos I have seen of these setups call it more of a primer than a choke. Instead of a rubber button to prime the engine you use this secondary choke to block the airflow and pull the engine over once or twice. The increased suction primes the engine.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Brake cleaner works well for me on a stubborn starter.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If you have WD-40, you have starting fluid. Sprayed down the throat of the carb, it will start an engine.
tom

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. (small detail) it's a HH80 (heavy duty). Not a H80 (light duty). Not that it's a huge factor in this, but a FYI.

2. I'm also on PER small engine forum, and they wanted pics. I may as well post them here as well.:howdy:

3. WOW! Never knew silicone spray would kick an engine over. It did. For about half a second each time.

4. After pulling the plug it was wet (silicone? smelled like fuel. Probably both.), and carbon'd up so it could use replacement before putting the engine into service this season. I should probably lean it out some as well. I tune my engines (pre-epa) to be responsive from idle to WOT, and I think the settings to get the engine to not bog down is to tune a bit rich.

in summary: we'll see what happens with a new spark plug in this thing.

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
That looks just like the 6HP I have an a 35-40 year old Craftsman snow blower I have!
One of the best starting engines I've ever had. One pull after sitting all summer. Runs straight 10W oil. Plenty of grunt for moving wet snow. This thing is so old it has a suicide clutch (you let the lever go and the machine moves), no kill switch (shorting bar next to spark plug), and no safety equipment whatsoever.
The primer is long gone, but just choking it gets it started with ease. It's had the same spark plug in it since I bought it in 1984. Plug still looks good and works fine.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
You sure its an HH80? It looks like a medium frame HH engine, like an HH70 or HH60.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure its an HH80? It looks like a medium frame HH engine, like an HH70 or HH60.
That's what the shroud says... shroud doesn't appear original to the snowthrower, but I was told the engine was replaced- so wouldn't that make the shroud probably original to the 'new' engine? Of course, there's a chance it's a hodgepodge of many parts.

The heater box is hacked a bit, and the throttle lever shutoff is not connected (just a ground wire is used on the plug). Hmmm.... previous owners.:dunno:

·
Registered
484 Posts
is there a aircleaner for it.water can be getting in and fowling the plug and fuel.filter will also help out the choke and primer.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Snow blowers dont typically have air filters as they operate in a damp, dust free environment, and the filter would get wet and snow logged almost immediately.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Looks like my old 7hp Tec i took off my snowblower.

That bracket over the carb would have a plunger type arrangement, stuffs the carb closed so it sucks in more fuel, old version of a Primer. Works good though, with the ignition off i set it to full throttle and full choke, hold in the Primer and pull it 2-3 times. Then set it to half throttle and leave choke at full, fires first pull and lopes up to speed and then back off the choke to half until it warms up a bit, after it starts to smooth out turn off the choke and go full throttle and away we go!

If you were closer i would give you that old Tec 7hp for parts, i pulled it this year to repower my snowblower, it was starting to smoke and has blowby on the rings, loosing compression. But after 38 years of service thats no surprise.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it running... first it was 'choke full on' or it wouldn't run at all- then I adjusted the carb enough so it'd run without choke. It runs, but runs better (smoother, rpm goes up a little) with choke full on.

I wonder if fresh fuel and a little carb cleaner will help it out...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are you sure it's an H80? I think the only "H" series Tecumseh manufactured were 7HP and below. Anything beyond 7HP was designated "HM".

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Got it running... first it was 'choke full on' or it wouldn't run at all- then I adjusted the carb enough so it'd run without choke. It runs, but runs better (smoother, rpm goes up a little) with choke full on.

I wonder if fresh fuel and a little carb cleaner will help it out...

Id go with a full carb cleaning.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May be a HM.. I'll have to get some close up pics of the engine. PO said it's 8hp, no "x HP" stickers on engine, but the numbers after the letters do appear to be 80, denoting 8.0 hp. Block is cast iron as the fins on aluminum blocks doesn't rust.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The H and HM series engines had different carb / exhaust setups. I had an H60 that I thought was an 8HP until I looked really close at the S/N plate.

This is an "H" series (H60)

This is and "HM" series

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well... I checked... and I am embarassed! Looking at the tin closely (and removing a little dust n rust) it says HH70. You're right Fairway!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Easiest way to ID an HM is the reversed ports...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts