My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, newbe on the forum but love what I have seen thus far. I am working on a Wheel Horse 416-8, 31-16K803. I am getting it ready for use after many years of sitting and want to change the tranny / rear fluid. Problem is I don't know what type of fluid to use. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You might want to wait and get some other opinions, but if you have a true 8-speed, i.e., non-hydro, I'm pretty sure the recommended fluid is 80 or 90 weight gear oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, thanks for the advice. It is a true 8 speed non-hydro. The fluid that is in there now seems a little thin for 90 weight but may be do to its age.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Car manual tranny fluid is usually 30W. Rear end oil is heavier, like 80 or 90W. I have a 310-8 and a 416-8 WH and I'm pretty sure the genuine WH fluid I bought years ago was 90W. Since then, when changing fluid, which I have not done for a long time, I bought 80W 90 from an auto parts store

·
16,495 Posts
Straight 90Wt is fine for it..However, .most everything today is a dual based velocity--80W-120, meaning it meets the requirements for both standards.
Sould work fine in your 8-speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts