My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mmmm Hmmm, Alright then
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get over how well built these older JD are. Wow, an actual steering box!! And look at the size of the steering rod!!

Ok, well the first issue I have is that the starter is making some very unsettling noises when cranking over. :Stop:

When we were looking at the tractor, i saw the starter through the front grill and it looked like it would be easy. After taking the side cover off it looks like the engine will either need to come out or at a minimum lifter. My questions is can it be done by just lifting? If so, can I leave the drive shaft and well everything else attached? I have access to a chain hoist in a garage. If I did remove the 4 bolts holding the drive shaft flange to the flywheel will I run into any kind of alignment issues outting it back (I wouldn't think so)?

Second thing. The tensioner pulley on the 50" deck, is the pulley supposed to be slightly angled? I suspect not but, you never know. At first I thought adjustment was needed but now I just think it was jammed up with crap. When I got the covers off, it was kind of packed with years of debris. The belt looks pretty new, I am surprised it wasn't cleaned out when that was replaced.

·
Mmmm Hmmm, Alright then
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 87 with the onan. Besides loosening the engine what else? Do i simply remove the mounts and front belt then just lift it enough to get it or will I have to completely remove from tractor??

·
Mmmm Hmmm, Alright then
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I am trying to make it less of a bear. The thought I am having is that if I remove the belt, side covers, front grill, and mount bolts, the drive shaft, cables, ...etc will have enough wiggle room to just pull it up enough to get at the starter. I guess I am more or less trying to get a feel for "it can't be done" or "it can and has been done". I guess I can try it and remove everything else if it comes to that.

·
Registered
618 Posts
PA,
I'm not the biggest guy,but I can muscle the P218G out and up onto my workbench. It's alot easier to work on with the engine out of the frame. I'm in the process of redoing my 1986 316.
You stated "noises" from the starter. A brand new one sounds like there is something wrong with it. I've been told Onans have that 'sound" with their starters.

Greg

·
Mmmm Hmmm, Alright then
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a hard sound to describe other than to say it is unsettling . It does seem to grab right away and start. If I had to guess by the sound I'd say a tooth is missing or chipped. The guy at the JD dealer says the bendix gets gunked up causing a slow engagement. I feel I should at least investigate and clean this up. Although, if this is normal I'd hate to yank the engine.

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
Your engine should have two lift points on it. Get a couple of rachet straps and hook them onto something above the engine and then hook your eyelets. Lifting the engine then will not be a huge problem. I have a P218 in my 318 (like your sitename by the way :ROF) and I use a 1 ton hoist connected to the rachet straps and then lift it. Easy as can be!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The starter change on the 318 is about a 2 hour job., I'll walk you through my steps; You can do it to; take the grill out, good pull on the top it pops out, next. remove the 4 screws hoodsupports remove the hood, 2 screws from the side panels support ,near the battery. Now you can stand over the engine, Disconnect Battery+ cable Disconnect the cable from the starter 13 mm, scocket 12" extension I use all 1/4" drive The 13 is also the hood,size, Next dissconnect the fuel line that comes from the tank. a pliers works fine. Dissconnect the power 3 terminal socket. remove air cleaner housing, and choke and throttle cables. Now you should be done on top for a while, I put a piece of carboard under the tractor. go under it with a power screw driver and a 1/4" socket. Take the bottom screen off 10 screws,Ilike to tahe the 4 engine mount bolts out at this time.then I slide the engine forword as far as it goes and then take the 4 driveshaft bolts out. This is a teedious job; then I lift the egnine and turn it so the flywheel is to the up side as you tip it forword you will need a piece of 4"x4" about 18" long to lay over the tractor frame as the engine will lay on the hood brackets And the 4x4. Remove the fuelpump, Pullint it away from the schroud just enough to get a pliers behind and opening the clamp and pulling the vacume line off the fuelpump; Now Carefully remove the shield , you need to be carefull with the govenor connection, Now you can remove the starter, That also is 13mm, socket; Reverse proscedure, I mantain a fleet of 318 and a starter change is a byweekly thing, It is estimated they are started about 100 times per day. Altho I questioned that ,, but thats what the Owner says;;

Attachments

·
10K and Climbin!
12,447 Posts
How often to we see worn or busted flywheel gears? Has anybody ran into any?
That is unusual for the flywheel gear to be busted.. The starter gears are made of softer metal to help prevent that.. If you want, you can give the bendix a little 'lubage' to help is engage and start easier. I've done it a few times and have had satisfactory results afterward.. :goodl:

·
Registered
397 Posts
That is unusual for the flywheel gear to be busted.. The starter gears are made of softer metal to help prevent that.. If you want, you can give the bendix a little 'lubage' to help is engage and start easier. I've done it a few times and have had satisfactory results afterward.. :goodl:
:ditto::ditto::ditto:
Try lubing it up first and see if that improves things. My motto...if it ain't broke...don't fix it. You will probably have some other things to address anyway on a tractor over 20 years old! :trink40:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Normally The ring gear will outlast 5/6 starters. The problem happens to the ring gear if the starter should become loose, it throws the dindex into the flywheel at a bad angle destroying the ring gear. You can buy the ring gear for your cummings dealer, Just count the teeth on your bendix, There are two different ring gears, You can heat the ring gear and it will fall of, then tip the fly over and warm the new one up keeping the heat away from the teeth, they are heat treated, and you do not want to put heat on them just on the ring. with a nice carbonizing flame. It will drop on then when it is seated fermly to the flywheel Cool it with a wet rag. OH the max. heat about 300 deg. This is a fun job that few people can do correctly.. If you need help. Please ask . The ring gear is only about $75.00 Starters On Ebay Altho Imported ,only $75.00 Or so, go to it have fun.

·
Mmmm Hmmm, Alright then
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that’s that. I think the starter totally took a dump. Went to start it to move it out and get the deck off. Got disturbing noise I have been talking about then nothing. Two fuses are good, no dash lights, no nothing. Engine is coming out. The other thing is that at low idle the battery light comes on with the headlights on. Should I be considering changing the stator?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well that’s that. I think the starter totally took a dump. Went to start it to move it out and get the deck off. Got disturbing noise I have been talking about then nothing. Two fuses are good, no dash lights, no nothing. Engine is coming out. The other thing is that at low idle the battery light comes on with the headlights on. Should I be considering changing the stator?
Before you yank the engine....put a set of jumper cables on it and hook up to a good battery and then try to start it....I have had the same symptoms as you with no nothing at the starter and it was not the starter but the battery itself. This may be the case in your situation, especially with the dash light coming on with the headlights on....give it a try!

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
I would look at the regulator first! They are known to go out thereby not returning enough voltage to charge the battery. Same thing happened on my 318 and replacing the VR fixed it!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Before I start pulling things Apart; I do a Starter/ignition switch check. I have a set of jumper Wires 12 gage. 8' long;. I have a welding rod i leave the Flux on it, It's an insulater if i should bump into something; But grind a point on the end. With my jumpers I hook the wire to the welding rod and Reach it through the grill and touch the terminal that goes into the starter from the bendix, Ignition OFF the starter Will kick in When touched with a live wire Starter is ok. Now Touch the wire to the spade terminal on the solenoid If it eggages then the starter/solenoid is ok, And the problem is in the ignition switch; Providing all the safety switches are working; Good Luck;;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts