My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VT Homesteader
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The worst kind.

As spring made it's endlessly long approach this year, I decided I was going to go through the Gravely and get it transitioned over from snow to mow and fix a few annoyance issues with it before mowing season started. It was running good all last summer mowing and all this winter throwing snow, I'm continually impressed by this beast. But by the end of the season, handicapped by a busted throttle lever assembly and a jury-rigged throttle cable. I also noticed a lot of play in the throttle shaft and wondered if it couldn't be running even better. None of it a big deal, but hence the desire to just give the thing a little love and a good once-over.

Aside from just physically cleaning the machine top to bottom for the first time since I've owned it (very rewarding, by the way) - I also:
- Changed engine and transmission oils
- Replaced the coil
- Replaced the points
- Replaced the condenser
- Replaced the spark plug
- Cleaned and 'rebuilt' carb using this kit
- Installed brass throttle bushing from Brian Miller

Additionally, I got a full replacement carburetor to rob parts from now and in the future, I took the mixture needles, main jet, throttle plate and shaft (there's a clue) and put them in the original carb.

After some mixture screw fiddling, it fires right up and idles great, but otherwise, the machine throttles very oddly. As in, I'm moving the throttle lever a VERY small distances and the engine runs WICKED hard, like it's about to run itself apart. A lot of popping on decel from such a high throttle, too. I can also tip the machine up and down and it throttles itself up and down (I can see the shaft moving slightly when I do this). It's also moving slowly and falling flat under load - I was able to mow a little with my 50" deck, but barely - just not running right. When I would dis-engage the engine would blast off again. I had to work the throttle constantly.

I will upload a video soon to show what I mean. In the meantime - has anyone experienced something like this or have an idea?

I'm not sure I have all the throttle assembly levers, springs, and bars set up just right and can't wrap my head around exactly how it should be. Though it seems to articulate the throttle shaft just fine when not running.

I am going to try to put the new carb on in full and see what happens - however, it's missing a port that exists on the original carb that I believe is a hot-air supply, is this OK to pinch the hose, or what is the best option there?

Maybe it's not the carb... could the other work have screwed something up? Points not set right? Timing messed up somehow? etc...

Thanks.

·
Legend in my own mind
210 Posts
I would have to think you have the governor hooked up incorrectly after reading its behavior. Did you move or loosen the governor arm? Are you sure you have the spring and linkage back where it came from? You might look for a youtube vid on the governor and its setup and adjustment. Or a gravely manual with a description of such.

https://isavetractors.com/articles-1/engine-science-the-governor-system/

Here the B Miller offs springs for the governor if yours got lost or stretched out.
A-1 Miller's Performance Enterprises Parts & Services Online Catalog It is down the page a bit.

·
VT Homesteader
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was kind of thinking the same thing, TexasT. I did remove the governor and the entire throttle linkage, spring included. I am NOT 100% sure I have it all back together correctly, though it certainly seems to articulate the throttle just fine.

Just now I was out fiddling with the governor, realizing the lever there might need to be held fast against it at full throttle to keep the throttle from diving and revving as I go up and down hill. It didn't change anything - still running totally funky throttle-wise. It's also needing the idle screw turned WAY in for some reason now... I'm totally lost on this thing.

I will check out the links you shared to see what I can see, thanks for the tip!

·
VT Homesteader
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After reading through your links - I think this is exactly what the issue is. The governor needs to be reset, then adjusted. I'm optimistic!

·
Legend in my own mind
210 Posts
Keep at it. It was set before, now it is up to you to reset it.

I'm sure with persistence you can do it.

·
VT Homesteader
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm happy to report that the governor has been reset/reseated and the tractor is humming along perfectly!

I had a hunch that as usual with the Gravely, even though it seemed/felt/sounded/acted catastrophic, it was likely something very simple.

When re-assembling the Rube-Goldberg-like throttle linkage train, I had simply clamped the big "L" shaped governer arm back onto the governor shaft and thought that was that. I did not know enough about the engine to realize that the governor actually works with a set of flywheels inside the engine, and the little governor rod protruding from the engine block (for this Kohler K301) needs to be turned back counter-clockwise till it stops with WOT THEN HELD IN THAT POSITION WHILE THE ARM IS CLAMPED BACK ON. :tango_face_surprise

So so so simple, I can't believe it. THANK YOU TEXAS T and others for the help on this one - I'm back at it with mowing and brush-hogging now. Awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts